Battlefield 1942 free on Origin right now.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure if anyone noticed this. I never actually bought the game way back when.

I wonder does anyone still play it?

EDIT: I clicked get it now just to get it added to my library in case they end this Free promo and it costs money again. Hopefully it stays in my games list.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
cant even find it at all.

well i'll clarify that.. I see the link on the front page but it goes to a section that doesn't have the game.

Last edited:

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Scooped for future use :) Thanks VulgarDisplay. Nice catch. Free is always nice.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
I love this game.

I swear, every single game, basically everyone in the game agrees that BF1942 is a much much better game than BF3 was. Seems that everyone playing is a disgruntled 1942/Bf2 vet.

Its so damn fun. Not everyone is on steroids, anti tank only has pistols so it takes some skill to survive firefights, there isn't ribbons and numbers flying around everywhere screaming PAY ATTENTION TO ME, just good semi realistic steam based fun

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah the only reason the community slowed down is its not a new thing anymore, but the gameplay was solid and well loved. Also the rise of the MMO didnt help much.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I love this game.

I swear, every single game, basically everyone in the game agrees that BF1942 is a much much better game than BF3 was. Seems that everyone playing is a disgruntled 1942/Bf2 vet.

Its so damn fun. Not everyone is on steroids, anti tank only has pistols so it takes some skill to survive firefights, there isn't ribbons and numbers flying around everywhere screaming PAY ATTENTION TO ME, just good semi realistic steam based fun

I miss 2142. That game rocked, Titan mode made it SO worth it. Was so awesome to be boarding the enemy titan and fighting to make it to the core, or defending long enough for your team to make to to the other titan's core. IE, real objectives.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I just put 1942 in my library since it was free. Im not sure Ill take the time to download it since I also got BF2 free a few weeks ago and that was a total waste of time.

It may have been worth playing back in the day, but after playing BF3 (or any modern shooter for that matter) it just feels and looks horrible.

Oct 25, 2006
I just put 1942 in my library since it was free. Im not sure Ill take the time to download it since I also got BF2 free a few weeks ago and that was a total waste of time.

It may have been worth playing back in the day, but after playing BF3 (or any modern shooter for that matter) it just feels and looks horrible.

Completely disagree. I've gone back and played BF2 and 1942 and its extremely refreshing. Extremely methodical skill based game play that isn't dependent on everyone having scopes or guns that blind you, or a sun that shines like a plasma torch constantly, or a blue filter on everything that manages to desaturated colors and make everything look like crap.

The game isn't about running around everywhere ang going 100-20. Its about completeing objectives, which is what BF is. This is why to any BF vets, BF3 is a bad game. Its just too much of an ADD/ADHD "we want the call of duty audience" type game.

Last edited:

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Completely disagree. I've gone back and played BF2 and 1942 and its extremely refreshing. Extremely methodical skill based game play that isn't dependent on everyone having scopes or guns that blind you, or a sun that shines like a plasma torch constantly, or a blue filter on everything that manages to desaturated colors and make everything look like crap.

The game isn't about running around everywhere ang going 100-20. Its about completeing objectives, which is what BF is. This is why to any BF vets, BF3 is a bad game. Its just too much of an ADD/ADHD "we want the call of duty audience" type game.

I pretty much agree with you. While I like the advancements in physics in BF3, if they would just redo 1942 with the new frostbite engine. I would play 100.00 for it. I don't care about medals and unlocks. I just want to win!

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Extremely methodical skill based game play that isn't dependent on everyone having scopes or guns that blind you, or a sun that shines like a plasma torch constantly, or a blue filter on everything that manages to desaturated colors and make everything look like crap.

Or the smoke that you can see through on one side but not the other, or the constant screen shaking from friendly explosives, or the blurry vision that seems to happen every so often for some reason.

So many variables, not enough straight forward gameplay based on skill.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I pretty much agree with you. While I like the advancements in physics in BF3, if they would just redo 1942 with the new frostbite engine. I would play 100.00 for it. I don't care about medals and unlocks. I just want to win!

This, I'm pretty much hoping that someday they redo it with the newer engine.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

I think you can hardly blame the game for people being stat whores. The rest is just opinion.

Apr 20, 2008
It is surprising to see the game being quite demanding! GPU usage was averaging at 70% in every map. This is playing at 1600x1200@32-bit/maxed.

Edit: As it turns out, I had 8xSSAA with 24x AA Edge-Detect on. It looked pretty damn smooth!

caboob

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
It was good times playing this again. While the graphics were dated, it ran extremely smooth. This used to chug on the crappy budget computer I used to have back then.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
(laughing)

I got as far as Dling the origin client (and was ready to install) until I checked the "vault" ... my collection of games that I've purchased from a B&M store (in this case it was around 10 years ago). I bought the game YEARS ago yet forgot! I was so ready to DL this. It is the only game that I bought for the PS3 ... and the reason why I sold my PS3 (because the PS3 controls were so alien to me).

Thanks OP ... I might just reinstall and start playing again ...

MajorMullet

Jul 29, 2004
One thing to be aware of is that for some reason the original CD release isn't "compatible" with the Origin release. They see two different server lists. I would imagine that the Origin version is more populated at the moment given the press surrounding this freebie.

From the FAQ:

Q: Can I play online against players who have the original disc-based version?
A: Unfortunately, no. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Well I downloaded it and gave it try, but after playing BF3, its like jumping out of a new Ferrari and into a Model T. LOL

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Yeah well, can't expect much skill or teamwork out of a guy who only plays BF3.
Ok, Ill feed you...troll.

If only you could see my FPS library that goes back to the original Doom.....

I havent touched BF3 since Warfighter released, and I havent even played that in over a week. Been kinda busy with real life other than BS'ing with your dumb ass on these forums.

I merely meant that 1942 is an old game that is showing its age and for me its hard to go back to something that looks like an 8bit atari game. LOL