Battlefield 1 released!

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What the hell happened to this site?!? Threadlike this used to have dozens of posts a day. Now there's nothing about battlefield for months, what's the deal?
To be honest I haven't played in 2 months. I usually liked hard core domination or rush but very few people on those servers.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I still play it a lot, made it to rank 91 yesterday, just ran out of stuff to talk about. LOL

I saw the trailer for the new They Shall Not Pass DLC a while ago and it looks great. Early release for Premium players in 12 days, I cant wait!

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
does anyone know how the vehicle respond if there's any kind of rhythm or time interval for them? Airplanes responding about every 90 seconds when I checked, but I waited so long for a tank that he ended up getting booted from the server as an active player?
They spawn in intervals just like the planes, all the tanks must have either been in use or stolen by the enemy.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
What the hell happened to this site?!? Threadlike this used to have dozens of posts a day. Now there's nothing about battlefield for months, what's the deal?

I've been thinking the same thing. This site used to have way more activity. Don't know if it's because of the redesign or what but seems like forums in general, and PC gaming in particular, have definitely been lacking.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands thread also has zero activity.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Why aren't there any extra damage servers?
One night my friend and i got into a server, not sure how, and it was standard issue rifles with 200% damage and we had fun. but when I search for 125% or 200% servers, there are none.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Why aren't there any extra damage servers?
One night my friend and i got into a server, not sure how, and it was standard issue rifles with 200% damage and we had fun. but when I search for 125% or 200% servers, there are none.
The only one I cant get into regularly is the Banzore.com HC 200% server, a search for Banzore.com should bring it up.

But honestly it took them so long to work out the kinks in HC that I now prefer normal servers for BF1. HC just feels like a huge sniper campfest and the arty trucks run wild.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Well, i don't want hardcore mode, at least not as it is now. My ideal server would probably be 200% damage, standard issue rifles, pistols, explosives, and melee only, no vehicles, no elite classes.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Well, i don't want hardcore mode, at least not as it is now. My ideal server would probably be 200% damage, standard issue rifles, pistols, explosives, and melee only, no vehicles, no elite classes.
Ah a custom server, yeah good luck finding any of those with any population. They really screwed up privately owned servers this go around, things were so much better in BF4 in that regard.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
No, vehicle spawns don't work evenly. I was watching carefully, and I had to wait so long server kicked me for being in active. No one had stole the tanks and no one on our team had one.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
No, vehicle spawns don't work evenly. I was watching carefully, and I had to wait so long server kicked me for being in active. No one had stole the tanks and no one on our team had one.

I think it's a bug in the game...one of many. I like the game and have a lot of time into it, but some of the more annoying bugs haven't been fixed. Like when you're revived by a medic and you can't shoot your gun until you switch weapons.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
The new expansion came out. They nerfed grenades, dislike this game somehow more than previous series. Only game I have, so I get used to it. New tank is kind a neat, I knew behemoth tank too. It got jammed in the trench first time I tried it totally stuck.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think its by far the best in the bf series. Only play operations and only kaiserslact before now there is verdun and the other tank map for operations. Fantastic maps imo. The music and art is top notch. Brutal.

Best game ever :)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The tanks are bathtubs with cannons - nice. The infantry mechanics feels like everything is over exaggerated as if you are on roller skates. The lateral movement and strafing is down right bull. It feels like when I am up close to a guy equipped in a assault class, it is as if I am like shooting at Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix. The AA being overpowered while nerfing the fighters was a little extreme. Nothing feels like it should in this game.

It does not feel like a Battlefield game to me. It just feels like COD on larger maps. They need two separate game engines for battlefront and battlefield but what you go was EA trying to save money by giving you a battlefront mod.

The only reason why I play this shit is because my friends still do. Like I use to play COD, but nothing is going to get me to play that game again without a complete overhaul and change in strategy in the online gaming for PC users. I think BF is going down that same road.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I didn't pick up Premium, waiting for sale first, so I haven't played much at all. Playing the co-op on MEA instead.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't get the premium pass either. Must be where everyone else is playing because the server browser only has a couple of games listed whenever I search.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have not purchased premium either. My strike purchase price is $25 for premium. I am a 13 rank in BF1 and was late because I waited for the price to come down. I got it for $30 a few months ago. But it is a great game. After the debacle launch of BF4, it's quite amazing how DICE delivered BF1 without any fatal flaws.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I've been playing BF1 since its release and still enjoy it, even after more than 20 days played - though my time spent in it per week has reduced significantly after hitting max level. I also bought Infinite Warfare upon its release, because it's what all my friends play, and have probably less than 6 hours into the game. There really is no comparison. I have the premium pass and thought that two of the maps are great (Fort de Vaux and Verdun) and two of the maps are ok (Rupture and Soissons). The weapons they releases were also decent - the Chauchat in particular melts infantry. I am really looking forward to future releases.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ended up getting the premium pass. Couldn't find many people on the normal hardcore servers. I also kind of want to try the new weapons and see how the French variant works.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I basically stopped playing this game. Its boring AF! I've been playing BF4 lately again. My god that is so much better of a game. Its just so much more interesting. The environments in BF4 are more dynamic, complex and generally just interesting. BF1 is all the same; a bunch of busted rubble everywhere, copy and paste buildings and some hills. BORING!!! Omg I hate this game basically. Its a snooze fest. Everything about it is just so...boring! Its the first BF game I've only bought the base game. I won't be buying any expansions at all, ever. Vehicles are slow and boring. Guns are boring. Environments are bland, repetitive and you guessed it, boring.

Tanks and vehicles are slow, clumsy and yes, I get it, even authentic to the era maybe, however, a few commas in this sentence later, boring! I swear to all things holy, driving in a tank up a hill is the most boring, painful experience of my entire life. Its so slow, its like, before you get to the top of the hill, it would be faster to just get out of the tank, craft a wrench in minecraft, find a way to import the magical wrench into BF1, disassemble the tank, walk each part to the top of the hill, REASEMBLE IT, and then continue driving it. All of that crap equals boring. This game just sucks. Its boring.

Reactions: TheNiceGuy

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I basically stopped playing this game. Its boring AF! I've been playing BF4 lately again. My god that is so much better of a game. Its just so much more interesting. The environments in BF4 are more dynamic, complex and generally just interesting. BF1 is all the same; a bunch of busted rubble everywhere, copy and paste buildings and some hills. BORING!!! Omg I hate this game basically. Its a snooze fest. Everything about it is just so...boring! Its the first BF game I've only bought the base game. I won't be buying any expansions at all, ever. Vehicles are slow and boring. Guns are boring. Environments are bland, repetitive and you guessed it, boring.

Tanks and vehicles are slow, clumsy and yes, I get it, even authentic to the era maybe, however, a few commas in this sentence later, boring! I swear to all things holy, driving in a tank up a hill is the most boring, painful experience of my entire life. Its so slow, its like, before you get to the top of the hill, it would be faster to just get out of the tank, craft a wrench in minecraft, find a way to import the magical wrench into BF1, disassemble the tank, walk each part to the top of the hill, REASEMBLE IT, and then continue driving it. All of that crap equals boring. This game just sucks. Its boring.

All you do is snipe on every BF game ever made, so what difference does it make. :D

I agree that the tanks are lumbering and nigh impossible to see out of and therefore are boring, but the gunplay while not so historically accurate is anything but boring.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

LOL, I agree with so much of this.

I personally really miss the transport helicopters.

Also, why is it that I'm at rank 20 or so and haven't picked up a single new gun? Maybe I'm missing something about how upgrades work, and I could probably google an FAQ, but honestly, I'd rather spend the time playing BF4!

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
LOL, I agree with so much of this.

I personally really miss the transport helicopters.

Also, why is it that I'm at rank 20 or so and haven't picked up a single new gun? Maybe I'm missing something about how upgrades work, and I could probably google an FAQ, but honestly, I'd rather spend the time playing BF4!
Weren't many helos around in 1914. LOL

You have to buy guns and gadgets with the war bonds you receive, and they only become available after reaching a certain class rank, not to be confused with your overall rank. The latest DLC unlocks require you to get a certain amount of kills with different weapons, vehicles, and gadgets. I haven't touched BF4 since this one came out even though I loved BF4, I guess I just grew tired of it.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Weren't many helos around in 1914. LOL

You have to buy guns and gadgets with the war bonds you receive, and they only become available after reaching a certain class rank, not to be confused with your overall rank. The latest DLC unlocks require you to get a certain amount of kills with different weapons, vehicles, and gadgets. I haven't touched BF4 since this one came out even though I loved BF4, I guess I just grew tired of it.

Hey, thanks for that - I should have looked it up! ;)

Obviously no helis in 1914, but I think that makes it harder for squads to move around quickly on maps. It's just a limitation of the time period BF1 is set in. The slow tanks is another example of this problem.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Hey, thanks for that - I should have looked it up! ;)

Obviously no helis in 1914, but I think that makes it harder for squads to move around quickly on maps. It's just a limitation of the time period BF1 is set in. The slow tanks is another example of this problem.
Yeah the armored car is the speedy vehicle of choice in BF1 it seats 5 but is pretty vulnerable to heavy guns and AT rockets. Just gotta drive like a maniac and keep it moving. lol