Battlefield 1 released!

Feb 4, 2009
They lost me after BF2. BF3 wasn't bad but it was too fast COD like. I'm more of a slower pace but still fun shooter

Reactions: Spg1

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
They've lost me. BF4 was utter garbage, and I didn't even mind BF3.

I'll eventually pick this next one up from the bargain(read: garbage) bin.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I wonder how they will make this one feel fresh and new. I'm looking forward to it as always.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The series is dead to me after BF4. Pretty much all the fun stuff that traditionally made BF different has been removed.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I want the sequel to BF:BC2! Damn Ruskies are invading through Alaska....we gotta do something about that!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
http://www.gamezone.com/news/ea-say...tlefield-will-arrive-for-the-holidays-3433030

Hopefully this is Battlefield 5 and not some awful spinoff like Hardline was.
Yeah I didn't play Hardline, a demo or anything, cause it didn't look interesting to me at all. I want Battlefield-military, damnit!

I'm looking forward to this even though I didn't/don't play much of the later BF series (BF3, 4). I played the hell out of BF1942 and BF2, and I really like BFBC2, the latter moreso than 3/4. I'm not sure why really... but I do like that the destructible environments are amazing in BC2 so I'm hoping they have that in the upcoming one. Part of the reason I don't play much BF anymore is I get raped at the game, which I think is partly due to just not having hardly any practice or really knowing the maps well, but I'm not the gamer I once was.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I quit playing and following BF4 but wasn't the last BF4 paid dlc (final stand) based on the construction of the ships and robots from 2142? It even had crazy futuristic weapons. I though everyone was assuming this next version will be like 2142.

Nov 20, 2009
I cannot remember which version of BF it was (3?), but the whole way they do the squad and just randomize where you and your friend are was just nonsense. We gave it a shot for two weekends and then threw the game aside. And the the following version of the game was apparently released with huge problems and we certainly weren't going to look at it again.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
They lost me after BF2. BF3 wasn't bad but it was too fast COD like. I'm more of a slower pace but still fun shooter

BF2 wasn't slower at all, unless you wanted it to be and spawned way back hoping to find a tank or plane and then had to hoof it to the action. But, otherwise I'm the same; DICE lost me as a fan when BF3 came out.

I tried to like BF3, and then spent hours camping corners where people leveled up by throwing ammo to corner-campers, and the one or two large old school BF maps seemed to never be played. The icing on the crap was the tank damage model where you could be damaged past repair/stuck.

DICE followed Blizzard in fixing what isn't broke. Diablo 3 is a joke compared to Path of Exile, and Battlefield 4 will be a joke compared to ... ?

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
BF4 in the Classic or Hardcore mode is pretty enjoyable imo. Unfortunately literally no one plays Classic mode because it really is the sweet spot. Normal mode BF4 is cancer, I don't know how people play that shit.

Here's the rules for Classic
3D spotting is disabled: spotting does not display a red triangle above enemies. Spotted enemies are only marked on the minimap.
Players are not revealed on the map when firing their weapon.
No health regeneration. Players must use a Medkit or First Aid Pack to regain health.
No vehicle armor regeneration.
Team killing (friendly fire) is enabled.
Spawn only on squad leader or friendly spawn point (control point, transport vehicle, or spawn beacon).
When reloading, the magazine is dropped and any remaining ammo in it is lost.
Third-person vehicle view is disabled.
Killcam is disabled. (Kill card is still shown.)

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Unless it's something like Bad Company 3 or a remake of 1942, I'm not touching it.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
BF4 in the Classic or Hardcore mode is pretty enjoyable imo. Unfortunately literally no one plays Classic mode because it really is the sweet spot. Normal mode BF4 is cancer, I don't know how people play that shit.

Yep, its hardcore for me, I cant stand playing on normal servers. Im a huge fan of BF3 and 4, and will pre-order BF5, unless its that futuristic 2142 type of BS.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I'll be happy if they focus more on gameplay than unlocks, that's what really killed BF3 and BF4 for me. So many unlocks to grind for for EVERY single weapon.

I miss BF2 and the unlocked gun per class that grew to 2 or 3 towards the end. The main focus were the ground battle and combined arms...having awesome maps didn't hurt either.

It sucks hopping back into BF4 now since I barely spent any time in it. Everyone runs around full decked out and here I am trying to unlock my defibs (not really but you get the point).

I actually bought the game for classic mode. I can't tell you how pissed I was when I found out no servers actually played it.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
My friends never liked playing on Classic mode, they stick to normal. I always preferred classic but yeah it's hard to find anywhere to actually play it unfortunately.

I'll likely pick up BF5 or whatever it is - even if it BC2/BF3/BF4 have been on the expensive side of games they're still a terrific value considering how much time I've put into them. I actually hope it doesn't go super futuristic/sci-fi, I wouldn't find that to be a terribly interesting approach personally. Whatever they do bring back tracer darts damnit lol

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I'll be happy if they focus more on gameplay than unlocks, that's what really killed BF3 and BF4 for me. So many unlocks to grind for for EVERY single weapon.

I miss BF2 and the unlocked gun per class that grew to 2 or 3 towards the end. The main focus were the ground battle and combined arms...having awesome maps didn't hurt either.

It sucks hopping back into BF4 now since I barely spent any time in it. Everyone runs around full decked out and here I am trying to unlock my defibs (not really but you get the point).

I actually bought the game for classic mode. I can't tell you how pissed I was when I found out no servers actually played it.

While Im not a fan of the unlocks, they really arent a big deal since they give you some of the best weapons right from the start. The majority of the unlocks are just silly scopes, grips, and barrel attachments you wont ever use anyhow.

Feb 4, 2009
While Im not a fan of the unlocks, they really arent a big deal since they give you some of the best weapons right from the start. The majority of the unlocks are just silly scopes, grips, and barrel attachments you wont ever use anyhow.

This. I thought I'd hate the BF3 unlocks but it really didn't cause any problems having a gun that's 6% less accurate and unlocking stuff was kind of fun.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001

Here's the rules for Classic

Glad to see another Classic fan! Classic is pretty much Battlefield 2.

I find it shameful that the North American player base has shunned Classic. Auto regen really hurts class based play, 3D Spotting is disgusting as it ruins attempts to hide, and spawning on any teammate instead of the squad leader makes squads less likely to function as a team.

But it's dead. The masses have forsaken it and shame on everyone who played Normal while Classic servers still lived. I don't like the fast TTK of Hardcore because it makes it too twitchy like Call of Duty. And not having a minimap is irrational. All it does it make me constantly press the map button which partially obscures my vision. I toggled it to a 4th mouse button so I have easy access, I guess getting killed while looking at the transparent map is hardcore now.

I found a 64-player Classic server this summer/fall and was pleased to find that it was populated a few nights a week for a few hours. But it gradually died because of not enough players. Now there are no Classic servers on North America. There are German 64 man servers that are usually full, but I get insta kicked due to my 170-180 ping. I guess the Europeans have better tastes.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Yah, HC or classic is the only way to play. 3d spotting and health regen is just so awful.

I'm really concerned for BF5 after SWBF3. That game was so casual it hurt. I was bored in literally a couple hours while I have around 1000 in bf4. I just hope that's not the direction they'll take, but more casual, lower skill caps is where they seem to be going as a company.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I find it shameful that the North American player base has shunned Classic. Auto regen really hurts class based play, 3D Spotting is disgusting as it ruins attempts to hide, and spawning on any teammate instead of the squad leader makes squads less likely to function as a team.

But it's dead. The masses have forsaken it and shame on everyone who played Normal while Classic servers still lived. I don't like the fast TTK of Hardcore because it makes it too twitchy like Call of Duty. And not having a minimap is irrational. All it does it make me constantly press the map button which partially obscures my vision. I toggled it to a 4th mouse button so I have easy access, I guess getting killed while looking at the transparent map is hardcore now.

I found a 64-player Classic server this summer/fall and was pleased to find that it was populated a few nights a week for a few hours. But it gradually died because of not enough players. Now there are no Classic servers on North America. There are German 64 man servers that are usually full, but the lag hurts and I'm usually quickly kicked. I guess the Europeans have better tastes.

It came out too late and was never part of the 'play now' pool which really really hurts getting servers populated. Our clan server had some rules that popped it off that list and was impossible to seed. Soon as you get on that list it got a lot easier. If classic is in from the start and on the play now rotation next time I think it'll do better.