Battlefield 1 released!

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I brought a bomber down with a Behemoth's AT gun once... It was flying extremely low and slow, right past where I was aiming already.

I'm terrible at flying. Would help if I had a joystick or controller. Instead, I use the keyboard and don't know what I'm doing.
That's why I don't fly any of the planes. The mouse controls are so wacky. But you can modify the pitch to other keys to balance things out so you just use the mouse to go down and aim.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
That's why I don't fly any of the planes. The mouse controls are so wacky. But you can modify the pitch to other keys to balance things out so you just use the mouse to go down and aim.

I tried doing that. I would use the WASD to pitch/roll and the arrows keys for rudder/speed, then my mouse to fine-tune aim, but it's weird and hard to do given the size of the maps. Other people seem to manage though. Or I could go get an Xbox controller.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I tried doing that. I would use the WASD to pitch/roll and the arrows keys for rudder/speed, then my mouse to fine-tune aim, but it's weird and hard to do given the size of the maps. Other people seem to manage though. Or I could go get an Xbox controller.
Yea I feel you on that. I do have an Xbox one controller but I don't feel like having it connected the whole time while I'm playing. I generally don't play conquest so I stay away from the planes.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I wonder if you can have both a controller and mouse + keyboard connected at the same time -- only pick it up when in a plane? Or would it force one or the other on you? Or would it make the computer explode...

Regardless, ya, I can't justify blowing $70 on a controller I barely use for a game I may or may not be playing anymore in a week. The Xbox One controller appears to run on AAs which is nice.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think you can have it connected and assign it only to be used for the flight controls, but I haven't tried it.

You can use AA batteries or buy a lithium ion battery pack that lasts longer and can be recharged. Only reason I have one is because I have an Xbox one too.

There could be some issues between the other controls when having the Xbox controller connected but I don't think it would cause a problem so long as you only change the in plane controls to use the controller.

Some people are remarkably good in the planes though.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I wonder if you can have both a controller and mouse + keyboard connected at the same time -- only pick it up when in a plane? Or would it force one or the other on you? Or would it make the computer explode...

Regardless, ya, I can't justify blowing $70 on a controller I barely use for a game I may or may not be playing anymore in a week. The Xbox One controller appears to run on AAs which is nice.

I tried using both in BF3 and it was pretty funky, character would sometimes get stuck running or strafing, or gun wouldnt fire on the mouse. Same thing with my flight joystick, I just couldnt get everything to work like I wanted, so I gave it up and just learned to fly using the kb+m. I finally got decent at helos in BF3 and jets later in BF4, but this game's planes are quite a bit different and I cant do much with them. Repairing and switching back and forth from bomber view just throws me way out of sync, I may focus more on planes later after I start getting bored with other things.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Wooooooooooooooooow. Got my first grapeshot/ flechette kill on a fighter from a light tank... Well, it said "Vehicle Disabled" and I got a bunch of points for it, but no kill:(.

And I suicide bombed a heavy tank by throwing dynamite at it just as the crew was bailing out. Got 4 of them!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I tried using both in BF3 and it was pretty funky, character would sometimes get stuck running or strafing, or gun wouldnt fire on the mouse. Same thing with my flight joystick, I just couldnt get everything to work like I wanted, so I gave it up and just learned to fly using the kb+m. I finally got decent at helos in BF3 and jets later in BF4, but this game's planes are quite a bit different and I cant do much with them. Repairing and switching back and forth from bomber view just throws me way out of sync, I may focus more on planes later after I start getting bored with other things.
To fix that clear all the key bindings for the joystick and controller from your soldier tab. That way none of the inputs from it will matter when you're on foot. You can also clear it for the other stuff if you just want it for flight.

Reactions: DeadFred

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I was just thinking about the joystick. I have an Xbox controller I've barely used I bought about 10 years ago. I remember back then the consensus was the keyboard and mouse are more accurate, and the controller was not much good for battlefield. Wonder if it's changed? It would be good to give my cramped fingers a break. I like these planes in the game, and I can fly them quite well. I jacked the sensitivity on the mouse to maximum for planes only.

AstonM89

Jan 13, 2010
I have an xbox one controller plugged in while playing specifically for aircraft. KB+M works fine on the ground, then when I fly I grab the controller. Controller is the only way to fly in this game - I am top 1% in bombers and top 3% pilot.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Cool I'll try it .
I wonder where direct X errors originate from? I had them crash the game to desktop every couple of hours when I got it. But I've been playing the game for maybe 50+ hours perfectly no problem, and then had another one last night. Seems extremely erratic and random. Is it from windows, my video card, or the game?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Did the new map and hardcore mode release yet? I just moved and I only have internet in the kitchen since that's where the line comes into this apartment. Need to wait for Comcast at the end of the week before I setup my desktop again.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Cool I'll try it .
I wonder where direct X errors originate from? I had them crash the game to desktop every couple of hours when I got it. But I've been playing the game for maybe 50+ hours perfectly no problem, and then had another one last night. Seems extremely erratic and random. Is it from windows, my video card, or the game?

I had it a lot and switched over to dx11. Its a lot more stable in dx11 right now.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Big patch was released today. 2GB client patch.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/58616/battlefield-1-fall-update-notes-11152016

The list is way too big to post, here are some highlights for me:

Mortars have had a balance pass. Players now have to pick more clearly between slow, accurate fire, and rapid, inaccurate fire.
  • Mortars now require a time after deploy before they are fully accurate.
  • Increased the inaccuracy penalty for firing multiple mortar rounds quickly.
  • Reduced the max damage radius of Support Airburst mortars. Mortars will need to land closer to do their full 65 damage.
  • The minimap targeting function of Mortars now shows the current accuracy level of the strike. The red dot only appears when the strike is at maximum accuracy
  • Both Support Mortars can now fire 2 smoke rounds in addition to their default round. A Hint has been added to explain the feature.
  • The HE Mortar now correctly has the same range as the Airburst Mortar.
Changed damage multipliers for buckshot to be more consistent. This will eliminate some unintentionally high and unintentionally low damage hits.

Limpet Mines are now indestructible until they detonate. This prevents other players from “stealing” the Limpet Mine with explosives. The Limpet Mine is intended to be timed detonation only.

Bad squad leaders are able to be changed how it was in BFH and BF4:

If the squad leader ignores requests for orders the leadership is transferred to another member of the squad.
  • When a squad member requests an order (and there is no active squad order), the requesting player is added to the want-to-be-leader queue for that squad and a 60 seconds timer starts (the timer is not reset if there are other squad members waiting in the queue already).
  • When the 60 seconds pass, the first member in the squad queue (the one who requested order earliest) is promoted as a squad leader. If there are other members in the queue after him, the timer is automatically reset to 60 seconds and if the new leader doesn't give orders over that period either, then the next waiting in line is promoted and so on.
  • If the current squad leader issues an order, then the queue for the squad is cleared.
EDIT:
Unfortunately with this patch they broke SLI. I have some really crazy flickering on my work PC with 970s in SLI.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Added joystick support!

Increased tickets for all operations, plus 64-player operations has more tickets (previously had same tickets as 40-player).

Seems like a minor fix to medals, but no mention of a fix for the screwy behavior where you can get stuck with the same medal selection over several weeks.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Thanks for the review.
I just hooked up my Xbox controller, and the support is very good, lots of options I probably won't use. It does seem much better than using the keyboard, but I'm working through key bindings and sensitivity, as default I find very bizarre. What kind of set up do you use.?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the review.
I just hooked up my Xbox controller, and the support is very good, lots of options I probably won't use. It does seem much better than using the keyboard, but I'm working through key bindings and sensitivity, as default I find very bizarre. What kind of set up do you use.?
That would be useful if someone had a profile they use for flying that we could just load or something.

I should hook up my desktop using Ethernet adapters until Comcast arrives so I can at least download the update.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
That would be useful if someone had a profile they use for flying that we could just load or something.

I should hook up my desktop using Ethernet adapters until Comcast arrives so I can at least download the update.
I just spent about an hour messing around with it, and I think I have a set up that works well. I'm gonna test it out.
By the way, who benefits from using DX 12? Is my older system no point in using it, and it's likely causing the DX crashes?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just spent about an hour messing around with it, and I think I have a set up that works well. I'm gonna test it out.
By the way, who benefits from using DX 12? Is my older system no point in using it, and it's likely causing the DX crashes?
If you get it working nicely, I'd also like to try out the same bindings on my Xbox one controller.

DX 12 has been causing issues for some people even with newer systems. I tried it once and the game kept exiting out with some DX render dll error. I don't think I noticed any increase or decrease in performance.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The soundtrack to this game is incredible, the main menu music has to be the best I've heard in a long time in a game. Probably ever. Reminiscent of how Halo used to have those broad, sweeping tracks... but BF1 has taken that even further.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
mortars needed nerfed? they rarely get used, except on certain maps and even then aren't a big deal. very low accuracy/damage to begin with. I can think of lots of other things that need fixed way befre that

YES!!! You can customize your soldier from within the UI by selecting either the icon on Home or on Soldier.

YES!!! The Quit button is now available at any given time when in the End of Round

Yay! Prone soldiers can no longer be pushed by other friendly soldiers

OMFG YES!
  • Light Machine Guns were less attractive than other weapon classes, we have given them various forms of adjustments to make them more viable mid-range weapons.
  • Increased LMG and SLR bullet suppression at medium range.
  • Increased aimed accuracy of support machine guns.
  • Decreased Lewis first shot recoil multiplier.
  • Decreased Huot first shot recoil multiplier.
  • Increased BAR M1918 horizontal recoil.
  • Low Weight machine guns now also gain accuracy faster during fire.
  • Added bipods to Low Weight LMGs.
  • Reduced effect of recoil direction slightly and made it scale correctly with recoil modifiers like bipods.
Support feels so useless right now. How a gun that shoots the same cartridge as the scout weapons only deals slightly more damage than the SMGs was completely retarded. they need to do as much damage as the medic guns (or more, imo).

This one is confusing. I get ripped apart by it in seconds but if I use it, it takes forever to kill the plane.
Decreased damage of AA cannons against planes and plane parts.
Need to decrease range too.

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
So, mortar got nerfed but not gas grenades? I was starting to feel guilty about gas grenades. Not sure about mortars, I suck at run and gunning so used them a lot and did reasonably well.