Battery posts / terminal and Vaseline.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by redgtxdi, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

You think corroded connectors are a waste of energy so why don't you think the same of greased connectors? Grease is going to reduce the contact surface area which of course increases resistance and produces heat.

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I don't think there is any such thing as electrons attaching themselves to the penny. Electricity is a flow of electrons that requires a complete circuit. You can stop the flow but you can't capture electrons unless you're building up a static charge

3. TakeNoPrisoners

TakeNoPrisoners Platinum Member

How are the electrons moving in the air from terminal to terminal? The voltage is not nearly high enough to cause the terminals to arc from that distance.

4. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

LOL. The thread continues to degrade...I guess he was confusing it with the ever-popular 'electric grease.'

Corrosion is a hard build-up of oxides and whatever other junk that prevents good contact between clean metal surfaces.

Dielectric grease is not the same thing. Again, you may as well say air is actively adding resistance to your connections. Only difference being air doesn't seal out the above corrosion.

Above two people:

The electricity flows through small amount of electrolyte on the battery casing. Not the air. And yes, electroplating does exist; I just don't know if a penny would really do anything in this case.

5. Howard

Howard Lifer

As I said, it depends on the type of connector. Many connectors scrape right through grease and oil, and others can squeeze it out until metal-to-metal contact is made. Then the grease serves to waterproof and prevent corrosion.

#30 Howard, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Look up Galvanic anode. This was a pretty common thing on metal haul ships. Now they didn't use pennies, but it's the same principal. Zinc, which a penny is made of, is a common metal used.

7. Howard

Howard Lifer

Aren't they copper-plated steel nowadays?

EDIT: huh, have no idea where I heard that from

#32 Howard, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. Baked

Baked Lifer

My current car has a Panasonic battery installed at Toyota car assembly line in Japan, going on 7 years strong. Never had a problem. And your battery died in 3 years? Shitty quality.

9. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

I guess your right it is non-conductive.. Well whatever the hell it is, it works great at sealing electric connections and keeping corrosion out.

10. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

Why would you use vasoline? it isnt conductive, i tend to use permatex copper never sieze on electrical connections as its very conductive and seals out air to prevent corrosion very well.

11. Howard

Howard Lifer

Couldn't find an electrical resistivity for it.

12. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Hmm...thin, conductive grease for electrical connections...short circuit much?

13. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

Assuming you dont glob it on and it doesnt touch anything but the electrical connection that is not going to happen, obviously dont over do it.

14. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

Its faily good it got actual copper flakes in it, my mechanic told me about it and he and his dad have been using it for over 40 years with no ill effects. I did that to all the battery connections on my old CRX that i owned for 7 years and there was zero corrosion 7 years later when i got rid of it.

15. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

No, most likely it's the weather.

Hot climates and cold climates shorten lead acid battery life.

Mild climates are great for them.

16. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

so pardon the obvious, is there a proven method to prevent corrosion around battery terminals?

17. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

...other than all of those mentioned? (with the exception of the stupid antisieze one)

It's not too difficult. You're just creating a barrier around the terminals. I like the spray stuff that is like a slightly tacky paint because it makes the least mess.

18. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

vaseline should work fine. a thin coat on the battery posts is all you need. i suspect dielectric grease is thicker and holds up to high temperatures better, but thats probably the only difference.

you dont want conductive grease in your connectors. that defeats half the purpose of using the stuff.

19. deadken

deadken Diamond Member

As mentioned, siliconing a penny about an inch away from each post will let the Zinc corrode first (sacrificial metal). Of course, periodic rinsing with a baking soda / water solution doesn't hurt.

20. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

i just use spray like this stuff- http://www.walmart.com/ip/22058255?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

its messy, it doesnt look amazing or anything when its applied, but it does a fantastic job. since it sprays on you can get it in all the little gaps around the terminals. it also comes off easily with degreaser. i just clean everything up really good with pb blaster, put the terminals on tight then spray over everything with the terminal spray. it will dry to a tacky feel, and it will not corrode.