Battery life after IOS6 upgrade?

JechtShot

Feb 18, 2007
Is anyone else experiencing a decrease in battery life after upgrading to IOS6? Just got my Ipad 4 and did the update right away and noticed it. I know there are a lot of discussions about it on the web (I wish I read it first before i did the update). I already have bluetooth and location services turned off and nothing is running in the background. This is for the Wi-Fi only model. I only have like 3 apps installed (Skype, Netflix and The Weather Channel).
Thanks for the help.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
What kind of battery life were you seeing before? And when did you update?

My iPad 2 experienced battery life issues immediately after the update, but then it kind of equalized back to normal after a couple of rundowns (so maybe a week?)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
FWIW, I refuse to upgrade yet and may not. In fact, I'm even contemplating going back to a jailbreak. Still got my maps right where they've always been. No battery issues and flash ain't ever comin no matter what the update so 5.1 is my baby for a loooong time to come, methinks!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
FWIW, I refuse to upgrade yet and may not. In fact, I'm even contemplating going back to a jailbreak. Still got my maps right where they've always been. No battery issues and flash ain't ever comin no matter what the update so 5.1 is my baby for a loooong time to come, methinks!

New Google Maps is better than old Google Maps.

I also think that Apple Maps is better than old Google Maps, but I understand that it is divisive.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Is anyone else experiencing a decrease in battery life after upgrading to IOS6? Just got my Ipad 4 and did the update right away and noticed it. I know there are a lot of discussions about it on the web (I wish I read it first before i did the update). I already have bluetooth and location services turned off and nothing is running in the background. This is for the Wi-Fi only model. I only have like 3 apps installed (Skype, Netflix and The Weather Channel).
Thanks for the help.

"iPad 4" came pre-installed with iOS 6 :colbert:

Also, how could you compare the battery life before-and-after the update if you updated it "right away?" :colbert:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
NEWS FLASH:
  • PEOPLE SAY THIS WITH EVERY SINGLE UPDATE
  • PEOPLE ALSO SAY THE OPPOSITE WITH EVERY SINGLE UPDATE

One reason is that, after updating, some people start fresh and reconfigure email accounts, push notifications, WiFi, and other settings. Slight differences in configuration (number of accounts, push-vs-fetch, an account that pushes more data, ...) make a big difference. Some people download different apps or re-download and test apps that they had problems with before the update. Sometimes they just use their iDevices more while exploring changes and new features from the update...and USING THE DEVICE ALSO USES THE BATTERY!!!!!!1111oneone

Sorry. As you can tell, I get really $%#^ing tired of hearing this same thing (and the opposite claim) after every single update...no matter how large or small.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
FWIW, my iPad mini (WiFi) is on 6.0.2 and I recently torture-tested it. I was sick last week and used it on battery power non-stop for about 11 hours straight (more than the advertised battery life) while sitting in a recliner. My WiFi signal was super weak at my location, so the iPad probably used extra energy to maintain the connection (max Tx power). Volume at maximum. Brightness above halfway. Room was brightly-lit.

During that time, it was constant ATOT, YouTube, reading blogs, watching video clips, and an hour-long PBS program on Netflix. Other than frequent frustration with the weak WiFi, the iPad performed flawlessly for longer than the stated battery life.

I've been torturing this thing since I got it on launch day; using it far more than I ever thought I would. Battery life absolutely blows me away.

Last edited:

JechtShot

Feb 18, 2007
It came preinstalled with 6.0 only. Ok now the battery life seems normal for whatever reason. I actually didn't update it right away, i just meant the same day I opened the box :).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It came preinstalled with 6.0 only. Ok now the battery life seems normal for whatever reason. I actually didn't update it right away, i just meant the same day I opened the box :).

Regardless, it sounds like you did not test the 10-hour battery life before the update. This thread puzzles me.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007

You do realize there is a separate Google Maps app now, right?