Battery for APC UPS

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
I have APC BR1000In Back-UPS which has 2 x 12volt ( Probably 7 ah ) battery is it possible to connect 2 x 12 Volt 17 AH or tall tubular inverter battery to the ups

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
We've had this discussion about a dozen times already and the advice is always the same.
ONLY use the battery designed for your UPS. Don't experiment. If you wanna experiment, just go ahead and design your own power supply. Dont mix and match parts to commercial products.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Shortylickens has said it all. I have a similar APC UPS and will only use the specified battery.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
As others said, only use what came with your UPS. The APC Back-Ups line is a cost-efficient design that is mean to be cheap and affordable. It does not have the heat dissipation ability for prolonged battery use. Chances are even if you *could* get the unit to read and charge larger batteries, the unit would end up failing under prolonged battery charging and battery use. Not worth the risk. If you need additional capacity, you should purchase a unit that has extendable battery banks. Those tend to be costlier than standard units.

For instance, specifically for APC, you can find the Back-Ups Pro 1500VA version of your UPS under BR1500G-IN. This model is specifically designed to have a supplemental battery pack installed. It costs about 60% more compared your unit.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You can get gel batteries (like the one in a UPS) at a local electrical distributor store if you have any and it will basically be a very close match if the same (probably even made in the same plant in China). So if it's 7.2ah then ask for a 7.2ah gel cell of same voltage. Bring the old one with you and they'll match it. There's a store here that sells them for 25-30 bucks per battery, vs the $100+ APC wants. APC just uses normal brand batteries then puts their sticker on it, so they are not any more special than what you'll get at the store. This will probably void the warranty, but if you are at a stage where you have to replace the batteries it's probably long gone anyway.

Reactions: bigboxes

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Red Squirrel is spot on. Additionally, such stores will also take care of disposing of the old battery, which in most jurisdictions is a hazmat, however, that may not be an issue in your location.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Guys, I don't think the issue is whether or not to use another brand's battery. That's fine. The OP is asking whether or not he can use batteries that are a little over twice the capacity of his current batteries. That's not so fine...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
stick with the 7.2ah 12v batteries, whatever brand you can find at a good cost. the unit is designed and built around the batteries so I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't risk it. if you know where to look, you can find replacement batteries for a very fair price.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You can use 100ah deep cycle batteries if you really wanted to (I would not recommend it unless you are familiar with hydrogen mitigation, floating etc), the main risk though is that the UPS itself may not be thermally designed to run that much longer and the float voltage may not be correct. Going a couple amp hours over using same chemistry/style I would not sweat it though.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
You would also want the software that is part of APC's system to work, and it expects certain battery parameters. An added consideration is OP's location in India.

elchad

Oct 21, 2017
Hello I am new and I joined to ask a question about my apc ups 550. Is this the right place to do it?