Bathroom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There appears to be something wrong with the ceiling/walls.

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

My tenants called me a couple of days ago to say that there was a problem in the bathroom. I sent a plumber round to take a look who said, it's the apartment above leaking water.

Upstairs: No, no, no. Definitely no leak. We've checked the bathroom. It's the guy diagonally upstairs.

Diagonal: Umm no. The apartment has been unoccupied for 4 weeks, and the water is switched off and all the tanks have been drained.

Getting nowhere I decide to check things out myself. I take a look at the back wall, where I know the pipes run, and decide to cut a hole out to look inside - at which point the wall disintegrates around the chisel, leaving an ugly cavity, rather than the clean hole I was hoping for. All the paint peels off in a single elastic layer, and then all the remaining plaster drywall starts falling apart. I find the pipes, but they're all dry.

I then decide teh epicenter is the indented ceiling. I attack that with a hammer and chisel. It goes through like a hot knife through butter, and unleashes a torrent of water. Water pouring everywhere - in my eyes, in my hair. I run to get some bowls, and collect nearly a gallon. The whole recess must have been full of water. I knock a few more holes in the ceiling and pull out about about 20 pounds of waterlogged rockwool.

Really mad, I start harassing the upstairs people. Eventually, they send a friend round with a key and let me in. It takes me 30 seconds to find the leaking (pouring) pipe, that they claimed to have checked, and close off the isolator valve on that pipe.

Now begins the process of drying out and working out what is salvageable and what needs to be rebuilt.

At least insurance will cover it.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That sucks... mmm mold.

It's not actually.

It had all appeared in about 4 days. It's actually efflorescence. The water dissolved minerals from the drywall, penetrated the paint, then evaporated leaving a sludge of minerals.

It wiped off quite easily. Well, apart from the fact that the paint fell off as well.

CrazyAznDriver

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2010
It's not actually.

It had all appeared in about 4 days. It's actually efflorescence. The water dissolved minerals from the drywall, penetrated the paint, then evaporated leaving a sludge of minerals.

It wiped off quite easily. Well, apart from the fact that the paint fell off as well.

That is good at least. I had a slow leak in my old home, cut open the ceiling and there was a ton of black mold...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sorry. Put up with the same stupid crap when I had rentals. That's why I sold them and G.F.R.

New tenant:My shower/toilet's backing up (Saturday).
Me:I pull the toilet, snake the line, etc. Looks fine except for the broken flange that I spend 2 hrs fixing.

Later, same day, new tenant:My shower/toilet's backing up.
Me:I'll get the plumber out there.

Bro the plumber:What dumb ass doesn't know that they should never put tampons down the drain? It clogs the diffuser on the septic tank.
Me:She was told when she moved in.
Tenant:I didn't do that.
Me:Lying sack of crap. Shame on me for renting to Section 8.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Update: LL upstairs thinks I may have broken his isolating valve. It won't turn back on, it just spins loose.

It's one of those quarter-turn ball valve things. I suspect it's just bad luck that the ball fractured from the shaft when I turned it (probably first time it has been turned in 10 years).

I think he'll be decent about it, the cost of the new valve is going to be minimal compared to the cost of getting the plumber out in the first place.

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Ouch.
Always take down more then you think you will have to. Water has a tendancy to migrate to places not thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.