Basmati is the best rice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yeah I mainly use Jasmati rice, which is a Jasmine rice, and use the 2:1 method. Salted water with a splish of light olive oil, or some nice organic chicken stock instead. Bring to a boil, add rinsed rice, bring back to boil, then 18 min simmering while covered. Never check the rice. Then take off heat, fluff, then leave covered for 5 minutes. Rice comes out nice and moist and nothing is stuck to the bottom.

Lately I've been boiling chicken thigs in chicken stock, then using that liquid to cook the rice in. Then I flavor the rice with some toasted sesame oil and ginger and soy sauce, chop up the chicken meat and toss it in the bowl. Makes a delicious bowl of chicken/rice with a bit of an asian flavor profile. It's fantastic. Or I just sauté up some onions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and ground pork in sesame oil with red pepper flakes, mix with rice and kimchi and go to town.
Sounds good, I, like many, tried to "help" rice along by fluffing 1/2 way through cooking, bad idea, by leaving it alone it came out really nice. Another tip I've learned is avoid any "quick" or "instant" grits, use the old-fashioned ones that take 10-15 minutes to cook and find the true creamy texture.