Basketball needs to allow more physical play

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
As I'm watching the Miami-Duke game on abc, I can't help but wish that basketball allowed more physical play. The sheer volume of calls makes this game almost unwatchable.

That is all.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
agreed. specially in the nba. i can see if they want to keep college players from getting hurt, but pros are pros man! of course, its the millions of dollars that the starters are worth is why you dont see contact in the nba anymore.. not like it was in the 60's and stuff.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I hate the NBA. Thhe super stars get all the calls and no names practically hvae to get punched in the face toget a call

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i just like that back when the rules more relaxed physically, the scores were actually higher than they are now.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
i used to hate the veteran calls and rookie no-calls... but after watching the nba for years you realize why its like that. you must give some benefit to the superstars- the vets that have gone through all of the trials and errors. if you dont you wouldnt have superstars at all really, because nba rules are so strict now that if you dont play favorites with the vets then a whistle would be called every play. its just the way it is- and its that way in every job you have. the veterans have a looser leash while the new guy has to do more for less pay. just the way it is!

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
I hate the NBA. Thhe super stars get all the calls and no names practically hvae to get punched in the face toget a call

:thumbsup:

the NBA is the worst sport to watch ever. give me college ball anytime.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade

IMO there are more calls in college bball than in the NBA. And i'll watch iverson play anyday ;)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TecHNooB

IMO there are more calls in college bball than in the NBA. And i'll watch iverson play anyday ;)

there are more calls, but more balanced (most of the time, unless it's your team playing :p).
it's more physical too.

thesurge

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004

:thumbsdown: NBA is a great sport to watch.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thesurge

NFL and then MLB > NBA

that's my opinion. doesn't have to be yours. ;)

thesurge

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
Originally posted by: thesurge

NFL and then MLB > NBA

that's my opinion. doesn't have to be yours. ;)

of course not. hence, the opposing thumbs.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TecHNooB

there are more calls, but more balanced (most of the time, unless it's your team playing :p).
it's more physical too.

I just think that NCAA is way too fast, with people just throwing up shots ... there's guards out there who average half the score of their team!

Since I'm a Spurs fan, I guess I'm spoiled that they actually play team BB, unlike a lot of others ... the Pistons, Magic and Trailblazers all play team ball too - I think they put in so much strategy instead of running like the Suns, Nuggets and Warriors do ...

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
but the floppers are nothing more then a result of rule changes. if they didnt allow people to flop, then shaq would have 100 points per game... every game...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Agreed
Sadly (though Im happy he enjoys it) my 6yr old son is COMPLETELY in love with basketball, specifically the NBA. I mean <loves it> He plays on his nerf hoop all day (wearing my Ray Allen throw-back Bucks jersey), he plays on the Xbox 360, we watch games EVERY NIGHT and he even has me DVR the end of Bucks games when they go past his bedtime. All NBA too... just horrible to stomach and watch. Its not even a "game"

I'm trying to wean him to college ball (which I love) but I think for kids they just get the NBA because of the fewer number of teams and they get that the NBA is the highest level of play. But ugh.... the pain I endure for my son.

On that note, just bought 2 Bucks tickets for Saturday. What a waste of money.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just think that NCAA is way too fast, with people just throwing up shots ... there's guards out there who average half the score of their team!

Since I'm a Spurs fan, I guess I'm spoiled that they actually play team BB, unlike a lot of others ... the Pistons, Magic and Trailblazers all play team ball too - I think they put in so much strategy instead of running like the Suns, Nuggets and Warriors do ...

What? NCAA is too fast? Its 100% more controlled than NBA. NBA is nothing but isolations and people chucking up 3s from the corner. You simply can not say that the NBA is more of a team sprot.

As for guards scoring the points... umm... AI? James? Bryant? Redd? Melo (sometimes in the 2 spot), Arenas, Nash, Wade and the list goes on and on and on...

As an added note the Spurs play teamball? Then why are they in the bottom half of assists and teams like the Suns, Nuggets and Warriors are all in the top 10?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/st...r=season_2007&sort=234

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

That's because the super stars normally play positions in which they drive the ball a bit more then the no names. More drives means more calls.

There's this retarded band wagon of baskteball haters out there. I used to be one too and I used to throw out the same cliche arguments as to why basketball sucks. It wasn't until I sat down with a group of friends that actually enjoyed the game and bam, it became more interesting and actually a fun sport to watch.

I disagree, OP. I think over the years the attitude of the game has morphed and needs to change back to earning points by making baskets instead of earning points for drawing fouls for foul shots. The goal isn't just to drive down the lane and get two points, the goal is now to get two points and a foul.

There used to be higher scoring games because defense didn't used to be as bad as it was. Players are more physical now defensively and it hurts the montra of the game. But people got taller, and instead of field goals and 3 pointers, dunking and layups were what guaranteed points.

Rather than allow more physicality, I think they can alleviate the fouls by raising the net. This gives them less of a chance to drive to dunk, which gives them less of a need to force the ball into the hole while drawing fouls at the same tme. They'll step back more, shoot more, rely on accuracy more, field goal more... foul less.

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Homerboy

Agreed
Sadly (though Im happy he enjoys it) my 6yr old son is COMPLETELY in love with basketball, specifically the NBA. I mean <loves it> He plays on his nerf hoop all day (wearing my Ray Allen throw-back Bucks jersey), he plays on the Xbox 360, we watch games EVERY NIGHT and he even has me DVR the end of Bucks games when they go past his bedtime. All NBA too... just horrible to stomach and watch. Its not even a "game"

I'm trying to wean him to college ball (which I love) but I think for kids they just get the NBA because of the fewer number of teams and they get that the NBA is the highest level of play. But ugh.... the pain I endure for my son.

On that note, just bought 2 Bucks tickets for Saturday. What a waste of money.

on top of that the bucks are playing so bad this season its hard to watch then. generally i am kinda a passive fan of then. i will watch a game of theirs if it on tv as i am channel surfing, but this season i dont even stop unless there is nothing else on.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

yao never gets calls. he is absolutely beat up down there and gets no calls. when he came into the league, you could blow on the ball and he'd lose it. now you have to hit him hard for him to drop it, but the refs call him like he's still a rookie.

i really hate NBA officiating. easily the worst officiating in any professional sport. they need to have more refs on the floor (for example, one should be standing under the goal on each end at all times), and the refs need to get over themselves and allow the guy with the best angle to make the call (football suffers from that as well).

neegotiator

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix

yao never gets calls. he is absolutely beat up down there and gets no calls. when he came into the league, you could blow on the ball and he'd lose it. now you have to hit him hard for him to drop it, but the refs call him like he's still a rookie.

i really hate NBA officiating. easily the worst officiating in any professional sport. they need to have more refs on the floor (for example, one should be standing under the goal on each end at all times), and the refs need to get over themselves and allow the guy with the best angle to make the call (football suffers from that as well).

agreed. and on top of that, tons of centers hold onto yao's arm, then the second yao tries to free himself they flop and bam, foul on yao.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Homerboy
As an added note the Spurs play teamball? Then why are they in the bottom half of assists and teams like the Suns, Nuggets and Warriors are all in the top 10?

Lately, the outside shooters haven't been hitting - so assists are down. Also, they're a pass first offense - so of course assists will be low. Either way, they have the championship - those other teams? Nothing.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
They need to bring back hand-checking. I miss 90's NBA (cue the John Tesh intro) :(