Basketball keeps getting stuck in net

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They renovated the outdoor basketball courts and tennis courts in the park across the street from me. Many months project but finally completed 2-3 months ago. New pavement and they painted it. There's a kiddie basket around 5 feet high and two full courts, baskets at both ends. I assume the baskets are the regulation 10 feet high. The free throw line appears to be at 12 feet, not the regulation 15 feet. Top of the key is around 17 feet, I guess. New nets.

I went out there once or twice a couple months ago. At least one of the nets wouldn't let my ball through. I don't have an NBA ball, but I'm sure it's regulation size and probably close to the proper weight.

I inflated my ball today to get a nice bounce and went out there and started shooting hoops. Most of the time the ball wouldn't drop through the bottom of the net. I have enough vertical leap where with a max effort I can get a tap on the ball which brings it through, but it's an effort. Obviously it should never get stuck.

The caretakers of the park should fix it, but you don't see them around generally. I could complain to the city but who knows if or when anyone would respond to the problem. I have contacted the city about a few issues and am unaware of anything happening to not make me feel I just wasted my time doing so (Berkeley, CA).

OK, so suppose I take the situation into my own hands... i.e. do something when the courts are empty, which I guess happens alot. I was thinking of taking a 5 gallon bucket, remove the handle and try to force it through the net... stretching it. I found a thread at an officiating website where they said to take a scissors to the nets. I wouldn't want to diminish the life of the nets but it's obviously unacceptable to have them retain the balls.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
New nets are always "tight" They will stretch out in time.
Seriously, this is a problem that you'd complain about? If the ball gets stuck, jump up and tap it out.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Sounds like a FB post to the local community group.

Why not actually call them and let them know at the very least? We've had good response from our town public works and parks people in the past. Maybe it's because they're all overpaid union guys but I'd like to think that some actually care. Or you can somehow tie it in as a safety issue and they'll do anything to address liability once put on notice. "Hey my kid could get stuck in there!"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
New nets are always "tight" They will stretch out in time.
Seriously, this is a problem that you'd complain about? If the ball gets stuck, jump up and tap it out.
Me complain? Never.

Maybe will stretch out in time but it's been months now and guys have been playing out there... still the ball hangs up in the net. Winter rains may help, they may make it worse.

I can reach it now, but takes an effort. Who wants to have to do that, gimme a break.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
I ran scoreboard at a jr high with a net prone to sticking.
After 2 seasons, they finally replaced the net since it never loosened up on its own.