Basic question on how to get HD Component Analog out of a PC

JonoZee

Nov 11, 2013
Some assistance is required:
A basic question towards building an HTPC. I want to continue to use my Phillips CRT TV which only takes Component Analog in, not HDMI.

Can I choose any Graphics card that has a D-Sub connector and then just use a simple "VGA" to Component RCA adapter cable?

What about CPU's with integrated graphics? If the motherboard has a D-SUB out, does that mean I am good to go?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
You could get an older video card that actually has component output and use that.

However, if your CRT TV doesn't have HDMI, it likely doesn't do HD over component. I had several Phillips CRT TVs, if they just had component they only did standard definition (480i resolution), if they did HD, they also had HDMI.

I don't think a vga to component adapter will work.

Something like this would work.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJqP8dr33boCFU7xOgod1HMA2g

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
my 9600GSO PCI-E cards had a TV-out port, and came with a component output dongle for it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I had that issue with my old rear projection tv and my old Toshiba crt tv.

some old ATI cards came with S video out and a dongle that could do analog component video.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
However, if your CRT TV doesn't have HDMI, it likely doesn't do HD over component. I had several Phillips CRT TVs, if they just had component they only did standard definition (480i resolution), if they did HD, they also had HDMI.
g[/url]

some TVs had at least 480P/1080i support and no HDMI input

my last card with component output was the 9600GT (2008), I think other cards from that era probably have the same.
it's easy to identify, normally it have what looks like an S-Video connector.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Agreed, you need to dangle the dongle. I too have an older laptop like this, where it's a funny looking port (shaped like a PS/2 port but with a bunch more pins) that you insert the dongle and get the component video outputs.