Basic or Professional installation for AT&T Broadband Cable Internet

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Installation Options
Your special offer includes a $24.95 Basic Installation
With Basic Installation our technician connects the cable modem to one existing data outlet, and you install the software and the network adapter and connect the cable modem to your computer. To learn more about Basic Installation, please review our Common Installation Questions
OR
Upgrade to Premium Installation for 49.95*
With a premium installation our professionally trained technicians will complete the installation process - including all wiring, installing the cable modem and software necessary to have you up and running in no time.
Upgrade to Premium Installation

This is not for me, it's for some newbies I know. They already have a Windows XP Home machine with an internal NIC.

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
That's hard to say for newbs. I would say get the basic since the "software" provided by an ISP most of the time messes up a computer. All that is involved with modem installation is plugging the modem into the pc and then setting up the pc to connect to the modem.

NetworkDad

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
I'd tell them premium so they wouldn't have to call me for endless tech support....

But that's just my opinion.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Is there a difference in speed? I think verizon charges differently depending on the speed. I'm curious about this too, cause roadrunner sucks here

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Utterman
That's hard to say for newbs. I would say get the basic since the "software" provided by an ISP most of the time messes up a computer. All that is involved with modem installation is plugging the modem into the pc and then setting up the pc to connect to the modem.

I hate that customized crap they install onto PC's. Their PC already has bloatware it's not like they need anymore.

So you plug the cable modem into the cable jack into the NIC, that's all the hardware installation that's involved right?

What's involved software wise?

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: Utterman

I hate that customized crap they install onto PC's. Their PC already has bloatware it's not like they need anymore.

So you plug the cable modem into the cable jack into the NIC, that's all the hardware installation that's involved right?

What's involved software wise?

That is correct hardware wise (since they have a NIC and hopefully won't be screwed by getting a USB only modem). Software wise, for Comcast, you just plug the modem into the computer and it locks on to the PC's MAC addy. Some other ISP's may have you change the computer name to some code. The TCP/IP settings maybe have to be changed to get IP automatically (usually default)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I have Insight Broadband, the pricing/wording is almost the same (except premium is $100), AT&T broadband is in part of the state here, so I think it's the same service, just different branding.

I got the standard install because I'm familiar with the computer and installing stuff is not new at all to me :)

They left the software for me and plugged in the modem to my computer (only cause I had cat5 waiting for him by the cable jack). I didn't even open the software they gave me :). There was a sheet of instructions that came with it in case the CDs didn't work, so I used those. Basicly all it took was me setting up my copy of IE to use a special proxy server for registration, then logging into their server and putting in an authentication code. Once it was done, I killed all the proxy information in IE, rebooted my PC and the modem, got my mac address, went into my router and spoofed it, then hooked the modem up to the router and my pc back to the router. All is working well for me now :)

They gave me step by step instructions that were very easy to follow, so I had no trouble with it. I'm not sure if AT&T will do the same or not.

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
Rossman-

I don't know if its the same over there across the bridge, but over here they have recently started making customers register their modems. (They didn't for the last 2 installs I had)

Get the premium install and have your friend ask the install technician not to put in the software, but get it up and running. (He/she will do it)
They usually have a deal where you get two months free if you get the Premium install. Just ask for the current specials.

Because he's using XP he will have to manually register the modem, which can be a pain in the ass if you've never done it before, or if there is a problem.

I had to get a new install because we just moved and it took 3 days of technical support to get it up and running, because most of technical support doesn't know how to get the modem registered with XP. Had I known that before hand, I would of paid for the premium install and let the installer take care of the headache. (And yes I do know what I'm doing. at the time their system was only allowing new modem registrations from the software disk. Guess what os isn't compatible with the disk. That's right, XP.)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Dug
Rossman-

I don't know if its the same over there across the bridge, but over here they have recently started making customers register their modems. (They didn't for the last 2 installs I had)

Get the premium install and have your friend ask the install technician not to put in the software, but get it up and running. (He/she will do it)
They usually have a deal where you get two months free if you get the Premium install. Just ask for the current specials.

Because he's using XP he will have to manually register the modem, which can be a pain in the ass if you've never done it before, or if there is a problem.

I had to get a new install because we just moved and it took 3 days of technical support to get it up and running, because most of technical support doesn't know how to get the modem registered with XP. Had I known that before hand, I would of paid for the premium install and let the installer take care of the headache. (And yes I do know what I'm doing. at the time their system was only allowing new modem registrations from the software disk. Guess what os isn't compatible with the disk. That's right, XP.)

Thanks, I think that's exactly what I'll have them do. Get the cable modem up and running, install the modem but DO NOT install bloatware crap on their PC.

LordThing

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
I am using ATTBI here in Pitts. With the standard install, he comes and tests the Db of the line, sets up the modem, registers the MAC with the home office, and makes sure it registers. Normally the updated install they send out a tech to install the bloatware and NIC. As long as they have XP and are already set up on DHCP, there would be no reason for them to worry about any more setup. Should be up and ready to go. No need to pay for it. I would also fight to get them to wave the activation/installation fees. Everyone i know who got service from ATTBI has got them waived. Its a total rippoff.

On a side note RossMan, Lovin the Canon A40....any way to find out how much battery is left in the camera? I can't find the meter (if there is one) anywhere. :p

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
With the standard install, he comes and tests the Db of the line, sets up the modem, registers the MAC with the home office, and makes sure it registers.

Yep, got a standard isntall about a month ago and they wont leave until the net' is working.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Everyone i know who got service from ATTBI has got them waived. Its a total rippoff.

it is a ripoff, I'd rather just pick up the modem myself and self-activate. However, they wont let you do that and they have to pay a contractor to come out and install.