Question Basic build for home use

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I want to build a new PC for my parents and they basically just use it for internet browsing and watching videos (like Youtube)

So I have a bunch of parts laying around I'd like to make use of but the core of the system will be all new components, and I'm thinking about going with this:

MSI B760 Tomahawk w/wifi mobo
Intel Core i5 12600K w/ integrated gfx
32Gb corsairs DDR4 ram
Total ~$500

I would re-use one of my 3 spare cases, and I have 2 spare SATA SSDs I intend to use.

As for power supply I have spare:
Corsair 650TX
Corsair 850HX
Seasonic 650HT

I am guessing any of those would be ok right? Or is there something about their age not having some compatible new connector mobos have today???

Any thoughts? This seem ok?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
For a quick check you could enter your build into pcpartpicker and let them check for compatibily issues. They don't check physical size issues but they do check power supply and motherboard connectors.

As an example I entered your 850HX and the Tomahawk and they seem fine together, see pic.

I always use pcpartpicker just to make sure I'm not buying incompatable parts. It is free. They do a pretty good job of price comparison but sometimes certain vendors don't show up or the prices might be stale so it is a good idea to double check prices with your favorite vendors.

I got parts from Walmart, Amazon, B&H and NewEgg this week for a my first all new system in a decade.

Took a chance on Kinguin for cheap windows 11 pro. Don't know if it works yet, the last parts just came today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201-012958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201-012958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Don't forget, that i5-12600 will need a decent cooler.

I tend to prefer Noctua for air coolers, but they're stupid expensive. I'm sure folks will chime in with lower-priced units that will do a good job. (or, of course, you could go with an AIO liquid cooler for more quiet (usually) cooling.)

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Running a $40 Be Quiet and a $50 Cooler Master 212 RGB. Both are rated at 150 watts which might not be enough for the 12600? They are too new to know if they will last.

Oh and the Kinguin W11 Pro key worked perfectly for $25 plus $9 handling minus a $3 discount code.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Probably too late now, but AMD has been price cutting both its GPUs and its CPUs.

If you're near a Micro Center, their AMD bundles are $50 off for two days. I think the OP would find a lot of value in the 7700X bundle for $350:

I'd post this in Hot Deals, but nobody goes there anyway. :tearsofjoy: Zen 4 is easier to cool than ADL so you won't need an expensive cooler (DeepCool AG400 for $22 is fine).
(Gamers will favor the 7800X3D bundle.)

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I have Phenom II PCs I saved an still use one ... 750Ti video card... 4 gig ram

Watch utube movies, netflix, Prime video, etc.... they work fine

What PC are they using now or do they have one if I may ask ??

Ricky.

Reactions: mikeymikec

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I get the urge to use some of the components you already have, but if you're spending $500 on top of that and given their very basic uses, I'd just find some refurb Dell/whoever system for sub-$300 and call it a day.

*It is hilarious to me what some people in this forum, pretend is "needed" to surf the internet. Youtube videos, okay, then you need something made in the last... decade(?) depending on what resolution they're watching. 1080p only needs something within about the last 16 years and I mean low/mid-grade 16 years ago.

While some will say there is the future to think about, do you see them doing a lot of gaming or if VR ever hits mainstream, doing that? I don't think today's builds are like they were 20 years ago, that we've pretty much left in the dust, the system requirements to surf and watch youtube.

Just sayin', you're probably wasting time and over $300 worth of parts... but it is the thought that counts. :)