base building games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is the one I enjoy. Its really an attacker's game. Objective is to collect resource points scattered across the map. Your base is your main guy. He dies, game over. You can't really turtle. If you want to turtle and wait for attackers than probably not your game. The unit variety allows each game to be very different. Thats why I keep going back for more. One game I try a pure land play others maybe Air+Land. I don't have endless hours to play so the late game slowdowns for really long games is a non-issue, at least on my rig. Plus there are mods to deal with that issue.

The TA suggestion is a good one. Dated graphics. Alot of people think its better than SupCom. Hard to say.

Download both and see for yourself.

so why recommend a game that doesn't meet what i am asking? argh....

"hey guys, i'm looking for a new RPG, any recommendations?"
"you should try call of duty, crysis, far cry."

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I always liked Earth 2150 The Moon Project. No idea where you could get it today (legally), but it was a pretty cool RTS with base building elements (if I remember correctly).

Underground tunnels <3

I remember going online with that game and some german guy swarming me with hundreds of minelayers and crappy siberias while im trying to build a single heavy tank. Germans sure love their RTS games, stuck to fighting the AI after that crushing defeat, my red alert 2 skillz proved useless in earth 2150 online :p

so why recommend a game that doesn't meet what i am asking? argh....

"hey guys, i'm looking for a new RPG, any recommendations?"
"you should try call of duty, crysis, far cry."

It totally meets your requirements. If you want to build up a huge megabase supcom is a great game to do that in, there are probably as many structures as units.

Any RTS is an "attackers game" if fighting vs a pro online which is what i think power_hour means. Play with a friend or vs the AI and supcom will be awesome fun for you.

You can actually win in supcom by turtling, at least against the AI or in no rush games. There is artillery which can reach enemy bases from your own, superweapons too. All that stuff can be turned off though if you dont want the AI to start lobbing shells at you from across the map.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Dwarf fortress! Pick up the lazy newb pack and prepare your next 3 months for watching tutorial videos so you can figure out how to play it. It's worth it. It's the most addicting game I've ever played in my life.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZ2BS46hHs

You build cities, create trade within them, grab resources on the map, advance though ages (Stone age to Information age), you can ally with other nations and trade with them, you create armies and capture other cities.

It's a great RTS, the only requirement of yours it doesn't meet is that it isn't a persistent world.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZ2BS46hHs

You build cities, create trade within them, grab resources on the map, advance though ages (Stone age to Information age), you can ally with other nations and trade with them, you create armies and capture other cities.

It's a great RTS, the only requirement of yours it doesn't meet is that it isn't a persistent world.

persistent world isn't a requirement, just wish there were some more games that had that.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Noone mentioned the Anno games. Anno 2070 is supposed to be really good. it doesn't focus much on warfare, but you can do battle.