base building games

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Are there any RTS style games that involve building bases and defenses any more?

Or even like city building games that have good combat to them?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think there are any, but I miss them a lot. I miss the classic RTS games. Starcraft 2 is one, but for some reason I can't bring myself to even try that game.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
There's one upcoming called Planetary Annihilation which i'm looking forward to.

I actually really enjoyed Starcraft 2, but to each his own. definitely worth checking out if you find it on sale IMO.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Not really, unfortunately the Stronghold games were the case of very very fun sounding idea but the poor code led to a horrible product.

Doodball

Dec 22, 2012
There's always classic RTS strategies like CoH, CoC series, if that's what you mean. Starcraft II was good too, like the above posters said ^^.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Not like the old days, no.

And Starcraft 2 definitely does NOT qualify.
Why not?

Base building, static defenses, resource collection and combat are what it's all about. I've played all major RTS titles dating back to the first Dune game and warcraft 1 and they all were based on the same principles.

Saying SC2 definately doesn't qualify is absurd.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
What's the game everybody is playing on their phone. It looks pretty cool

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
something i would like to see is sort of a sandbox style game where you could build bases and stuff and have to defend against something. A persistent game world, persistent base, not starting over from scratch on every level.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I seem to remember building castles/bases on Age of Empires a long time ago. Could be thinking of a different game.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
Someone really needs to make a Rise of Nations 2. Probably the best RTS of all time, and it involved building cities and protecting them.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Not really, unfortunately the Stronghold games were the case of very very fun sounding idea but the poor code led to a horrible product.

The ORIGINAL Stronghold and stronghold crusaders were fking excellent and exactly what was promised. Lord of the Realms II, back around 1996 or 1997 had some of this too, IIRC. I have not seen anything like stronghold in years, and their last couple of efforts have been almost unanimously derided as worthless crap.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
*Dons Nomex suit*

Don't be too critical here, but check out Clash of Clans on iOS. I've been playing for a few weeks now, it's exactly this kind of game. Build your village, set up defenses, build an army, go kick other peoples' villages around (try to overwhelm the defenses they have built) and steal their resources.

The fights are somewhat simplistic, in that you don't directly control your troops, they go after targets based on their AI guidelines (think troop control in Majesty). But that's a large part of what makes it fun - you just drop your troops and hope they go after the targets you intended.

I actually posted looking to see if there were any similar games on PC, had no luck finding anything even close.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My all time favorites are below:

Original C&C
C&C Tiberian Sun
C&C Generals/Zero Hour
empires dawn of the modern world (way fun game)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
My all time favorites are below:

Original C&C
C&C Tiberian Sun
C&C Generals/Zero Hour
empires dawn of the modern world (way fun game)
First time I ever saw a mammoth tank on the original C&C demo I damn near had a heart attack. I went out immediately and bought the game. C&C unfortunately got worse as the years got on, but I agree tiberian sun and generals were excellent, I spent a lot of time on generals.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Planetary annihilation is the only one i can think of.

Starcraft 2 is pretty meh IMO and i was a major starcraft 1 fanboy.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Supreme Commander FA is still one of my Favs - plays great on Win7 and the dual screen mode is a nice touch. Plus there are lots of mods for it. Sins of Solar series is pretty good too. I just started to try out the Dawn of War series that I got on sale.

Would love to see a decent new Castle building RTS. Its about time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The supreme commander games have base building? I thought it was all about the big giant battles?

which is better, 1 or 2?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The supreme commander games have base building? I thought it was all about the big giant battles?

which is better, 1 or 2?

Oh yeah theres tons of base building involved, 1 is far better than 2 is. You can build production structures, base defences, shield generators, artillery, radar, power plants, build stuff in the water, and theres 3 tech levels so theres 3 different types of each building.

Supcoms only downfall IMO is that it will bog down after building so much stuff. Long story short it dosent do multithreading particularly well.

SomeoneSimple

Aug 15, 2012
TA by far the best base build/defend of the rts ones.

The only games which gave me that Total Annihilation feel, are the TA-based Mods on the Spring engine.
It's primarily Multiplayer though. I haven't checked up upon them for a while, but few years back, the mods Balanced Annihilation and Zero-K (previously "Complete Annihilation") where very popular, and multiplayer was very active.
I felt that BA was really close to the original in terms of gameplay. So if you like TA, you might want to take a look, its good fun and free.

And IMHO, both SupCom's where disappointing.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010

which is better, 1 or 2?

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is the one I enjoy. Its really an attacker's game. Objective is to collect resource points scattered across the map. Your base is your main guy. He dies, game over. You can't really turtle. If you want to turtle and wait for attackers than probably not your game. The unit variety allows each game to be very different. Thats why I keep going back for more. One game I try a pure land play others maybe Air+Land. I don't have endless hours to play so the late game slowdowns for really long games is a non-issue, at least on my rig. Plus there are mods to deal with that issue.

The TA suggestion is a good one. Dated graphics. Alot of people think its better than SupCom. Hard to say.

Download both and see for yourself.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I always liked Earth 2150 The Moon Project. No idea where you could get it today (legally), but it was a pretty cool RTS with base building elements (if I remember correctly).