Barton 2500 OC using Stock HSF

Kharlia

Aug 12, 2003
Alright; this might not sound surprising as it seems like these comments and questions come up everyday on this category.

After searching up some archived threads on Anandtech about ocing Barton 2500, and looking at some member's profiles.
I'm using ABiT NF7-S Rev. 2.0, 1024 MB "Hynix" (Mind as well be generic) PC 3200 CL3 memory, Barton 2500+, and currently I have one Smart Fan II running in my back exhaust, and no other fan (I'm using an Antec LANboy; supposedly a variation of Sonata), but I did take the time to put a manual fan beside my case (have my case opened 24/7 now) and have it blowing at it; it seemed to decrease the temperature by a bit.

Anyhow.. onto the case. I set my BIOS at 11x Multiplier, and 200 FSB (2.2 GHZ; this is Barton 3200 specs right?); then turned my Memory Ratio to 5/5 to reach 400mhz to match.
Running some temperature monitoring and my BIOS monitoring for heat, I seem to be getting 25-27C Case, and 40C CPU Idle, 42-46 CPU load (how do I find out about full load temp. anyway?). Is this normal? .. I figure its sort'ved weird because I'm only using the Stock HSF (Not sure if its copper plated at the button of the HS), and AS3.

I've been wondering how do I overclock memory? .. on my BIOS for memory settings I see four or five settings, I've got no clue at how to do this? .. can somebody explain please? ..

Thanks for your help,

Kharlia

Namtaru

Feb 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Kharlia
I've been wondering how do I overclock memory? .. on my BIOS for memory settings I see four or five settings, I've got no clue at how to do this? .. can somebody explain please? ..

Thanks for your help,

Kharlia

Alright, the 2500+ runs stock at 166fsb on a double pipe, hence the 333MHz bus speed.

You are running it at 200fsb, which is 400MHz bus speed.

Your memory is running at 400MHz instead of stock 333MHz

So back to your question:
""I've been wondering how do I overclock memory?""
You answered your own question

Kharlia

Aug 12, 2003
What does this mean then? ..

RAM is running at 200 Mhz @ 11-3-3-2.5. (I picked it up off somebody's rig setup), I forget where. I suppose each of the numbers are a characteristic of the RAM settings? .. I only recognize one of them as the Cas Rate; can somebody explain? .. and somebody figure out why my CPU is still relatively normal when I'm running a STOCK HSF?

timosy

Aug 31, 2003
possibly because you have the side door opened and a fan blowing on it ...

when I open my case to fix things/look at things while the computer is running, case and CPU temps drop by like, 3-5C, and thats without AC or a fan blowing into it ...

Namtaru

Feb 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Kharlia
What does this mean then? ..

RAM is running at 200 Mhz @ 11-3-3-2.5. (I picked it up off somebody's rig setup), I forget where. I suppose each of the numbers are a characteristic of the RAM settings? .. I only recognize one of them as the Cas Rate; can somebody explain?

.. and somebody figure out why my CPU is still relatively normal when I'm running a STOCK HSF?

1st question) Those are your memory timings, i wouldnt really worry about those, in some cases you can get a higher OC by relaxing the timings. (like 11-4-4-3)
These settings dont actually OC your memory. They help OC your CPU, which in turn rises your bus speed, which in turn makes your memory run faster.

But 11-3-3-2.5 is right about where you want to be with that chip.

2nd question) Running the 2500+ on the stock HSF is not uncommon. That HSF is a very decent unit. It's probably one of the best stock HSF's out there.