Barr vs. House Judiciary Cmte.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If you only knew how this exact thought has run through my mind over the years, and much more recently. There once was a common ground that people pushed around the edges. That no longer exists, and some of the reasons are what you have brought up.
I remember an interview with a long-time DC reporter about how things used to work in DC. She said in the old days they (Reps & Dems) would attend a lot of cocktail parties, dinners, etc on weekends (back when they actually stayed in DC, now most fly home every weekend). She said that's when the deals & compromises were made on bills. Now that everyone flees DC each week they never get together socially anymore and has led to more partisan divides.

Reactions: hal2kilo

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I remember an interview with a long-time DC reporter about how things used to work in DC. She said in the old days they (Reps & Dems) would attend a lot of cocktail parties, dinners, etc on weekends (back when they actually stayed in DC, now most fly home every weekend). She said that's when the deals & compromises were made on bills. Now that everyone flees DC each week they never get together socially anymore and has led to more partisan divides.

That process has been thoroughly derided as “Washington insider politics”. No challenger gets elected as an insider... everyone wants to be an “outsider”.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I remember the story of a doctor who treated a group oh patients who had some particular kind of mental disorder about which all I can remember is that they couldn’t understand speech. They were all on a room watching Nixon give perhaps his “I’m not a crook” speech and noted they all had horror written all over their faces. He figured out that while they could not understand what Nixon was saying, they experienced the shocked horror because they could tell he was lying. Perhaps such people should be brought to such hearings

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I remember the story of a doctor who treated a group oh patients who had some particular kind of mental disorder about which all I can remember is that they couldn’t understand speech. They were all on a room watching Nixon give perhaps his “I’m not a crook” speech and noted they all had horror written all over their faces. He figured out that while they could not understand what Nixon was saying, they experienced the shocked horror because they could tell he was lying. Perhaps such people should be brought to such hearings

I would imagine Wernicke's aphasia, and that would be an interesting thing to study...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would imagine Wernicke's aphasia, and that would be an interesting thing to study...
I looked everywhere for some reference to what I heard of that story but couldn't find anything. Saw something about Clinton and Trump but nothing relating back to Nixon. His 'Checkers Speech' if that was the one was a long time back. Pretty sure it is the Wernicke's thingi.

What I wonder about is if people with those heightened capacities to read subtle signals would notice anything with people like Barr who strike me as true believers. Personally, I wonder if they don't believe their won stories including a sense their goals are so important they are entitled to lie as a matter of course and may do so without inner conflict.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Many of us are saying the same things here. Some just enjoy picking something apart.

This hearing was meaningless and didn't accomplish anything.

I'm not angry in the least. I don't know why some think I am angry. Meh

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
They didn't want his lying answers. They asked questions in an attempt to get the truth out, despite the obese dissembler in the docket.

They could have held a press conference to speak their version of the truth. It would have been more productive.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
They could have held a press conference to speak their version of the truth. It would have been more productive.
Or they could have written him a nasty letter, but neither hold the hoped-for gravitas of a congressional hearing . . . something I am SURE you know.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Or they could have written him a nasty letter, but neither hold the hoped-for gravitas of a congressional hearing . . . something I am SURE you know.

To call that dog and pony show a Congressional hearing is a farce... something I am SURE YOU know.

:p

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Hey guess what? The FBI's misuse of surveillance warrants really was majorly over blown. Anyone surprised?

What?! You mean republicans were lying again?

Guess what the Republicons embellish and exaggerate, but their base eats it up. It’s that same false narratives that FAUX News puts out every evening. This was surprising, NOT!