Barn Door Hardware question....

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My wife watched too many episodes of HGTV remodeling shows and has decided she wants a barn door to be trendy. I'm building a new bathroom so it'll actually work out.

Can someone tell me what size kits are best? I like big doorways, so I'd like the standard opening to be 36"x80", but think a door large enough to cover that standard opening would need to be 40" x 82"? If I do that, I'll likely need an 8 foot track, right?

My other concern is that the bathroom this will be in currently has no windows or skylights. I'm wanting to eventually put in a light tube, but the room that feeds to it has 8, 3'X5' windows....so lots of light in the daytime. It would be ideal to get a frosted glass door. Just curious where I should look for something like that without breaking the bank (not sure if anyone has ideas of the best supplier for an oversized, frosted glass door...).

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm actually seeing a lot of options at Home Depot for frosted doors. I'll check Lowes special order too...looks like a good opportunity to score free shipping and save using online coupons while not dealing with freight charges.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I'm not sure I'd want that kind of door going to the bathroom :)

I've used the above Johson stuff and it's worked well. There's higher end stuff then that too but $$$

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm not sure I'd want that kind of door going to the bathroom :)

I've used the above Johson stuff and it's worked well. There's higher end stuff then that too but $$$
I wouldn't put a glass bard door in if it weren't in an isolated master suite. I don't have to worry about a lock or a lot of other nonsense... I just have to choose appropriate door position, door size, and hardware to avoid a wall mounted TV and HVAC Minisplit unit on the same wall.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I pulled out the header, track, and mock studs for the pocket door I had installed this weekend and started the rough framing for the barn door opening. It's tough because the wall on one side is coming off a shed dormer, so the framing follows the 9.5/12 pitch and planes out to 10 foot ceilings. I only have a few 2x4's that are 10' long...and they're treated lumber... I ended up using one, but it's dried and twisted, but I was able to use it in the jack stud by nailing it to the header and using long screws to straighten it a little. I just need to scab a few braces in and get one more 10 footer cut to length and I'll have the other side reinforced enough...

I'm going to have the door slide to the right because I'll have a TV mounted on the left side of the wall.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6KkbS

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
A 32 or 30 in opening is fine for a bath. I think ours are 28 even. Make your finished size 30 x 80 or so and a 36 x 80 door will cover it. You will have an inch or so on the bottom plus the track. I used stanley hardware for a real barn, much cheaper and still looks good painted black

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A 32 or 30 in opening is fine for a bath. I think ours are 28 even. Make your finished size 30 x 80 or so and a 36 x 80 door will cover it. You will have an inch or so on the bottom plus the track. I used stanley hardware for a real barn, much cheaper and still looks good painted black
I did my rough framing at 38x82 because I don't have a floor in yet. I checked that most barn doors for 36x80 are actually 38X81 or taller, but can always address this later in my final framing by throwing in an extra 2x4 where needed. I just like a bigger doorway since I'm 6'4"...I always go with 36" doors where possible.