barf-beamers

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Are you sensitive to flashing light? You may be to this one.

Pic

Flashlight Weapon Makes Targets Throw Up
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

It looks like a big flashlight ? but it's really a nonlethal weapon designed to make you sick.

Intelligent Optical Systems, Inc., of Torrance, Calif., has been granted a contract by the Department of Homeland Security to develop what it calls the "LED Incapacitator," according to a DHS online newsletter.

The handheld device using light-emitting diodes to emit super-bright pulses of light at rapidly changing wavelengths, causing disorientation, nausea and even vomiting in whomever it's pointed at.

"There's one wavelength that gets everybody," says IOS President Bob Lieberman. "Vlad [IOS top scientist Vladimir Rubtsov] calls it 'the evil color.'"

Phase 1 of the contract ? creating a working prototype ? has already been completed, and Phase 2 will begin this fall as researchers at Penn State's Institute of Nonlethal Defense Technology put the puke-saber through its paces.

"Phase 3 will be our shrink phase," Lieberman said, admitting that the prototype, 15 inches long with a 4-inch lens, is too large and heavy to be comfortably carried on a belt.

DHS hopes to equip police, Border Patrol agents and National Guardsmen with the barf-beamers by 2010.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292271,00.html

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I had a seizure once, caused by Wellbutrin, and they put me through a battery of tests designed to look for any vulnerabilities to stimuli that may cause seizures. Included were various flashing light tests. Aside from being annoying, in that my eyes tried in vain to rapidly compensate for the changes in brightness, flashing lights didn't seem to be a problem.
Bring 'em on!

"Phase 3 will be our shrink phase," Lieberman said, admitting that the prototype, 15 inches long with a 4-inch lens, is too large and heavy to be comfortably carried on a belt.
The ENIAC of defensive EM weaponry.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The news reposrts are calling this thing a lightsaber like from Star Wars...
I have no idea how they came to this comparison because they are completely different.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
The news reposrts are calling this thing a lightsaber like from Star Wars...
I have no idea how they came to this comparison because they are completely different.

This is more like a light...well, light... stick...thingy...flashlight!

Oct 4, 2004
I felt a little sick/strange during the nightclub scene in Babel. This thing sounds like it would work wonders on me.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
"There's one wavelength that gets everybody," says IOS President Bob Lieberman. "Vlad [IOS top scientist Vladimir Rubtsov] calls it 'the evil color.'"

Another version of the weapon will come equipped with a side mounted brown noise emitter.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
yeah this thing would do me in.
if i stare at brake lights on a car or even around strobe lights i get queasy.