Barack Obama and Afghanistan

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
During his campiagn, then candidate Obama said all the right things about Afghanistan in order not to look weak in front of the electorate. But after he got in office, president obama announces a timeline for withdrawal. I understand why he said all those things, but it doesn't change the fact that he gave the wrong impression about his committment to the war in Afghanistan. He basically told the soldiers to hurry up and win because there's an expiration date and it's coming fast. This is impossibe when we've had like 10 different generals running the war for the past 9 years. Each new general means a new plan on how to win. That just means that all the men getting killed (like the 5 today) are dying for nothing. When he was pondering what to do with a war he glorified, why didn't he just decide to leave in 6 months? What difference is 2 years going to make except waste more lives and money on something he doesn't even believe in?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Must be your week to troll the Forum.

We are spending $160 billion/year in Iraq & Afghanistan, plus another $40-$50 billion/year in interest on the one trillion dollars spent since the WoT was initiated.

What was initially the hunt for OBL has 'mission-creeped' into a $200 billion/year clusterfook.

So. You have a choice:

1) Pay for it (and pay back the money 'borrowed' from the trust funds); and/or

2) Declare 'mission accomplished' and re-deploy.

If you were paying attention, the CBO issued a report that declared we can save $1 trillion+ over the next ten years by reducing deployment to 30k troops in Iraq & Afghanistan in 2011.

So instead of trolling, ""Where do you stand?""

--

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think he promised the pull-out during the campaign. However I agree with your larger point - if you announce that you are leaving on "X" date, the enemy automatically wins just by hanging around to that date. I think it's immoral on principle to ask service men to die once you've announced that you're giving up. If you're set on giving up, don't keep fighting just to establish that you tried. It's politics to Obama, but it's life and death to our servicemen.

There's one caveat to that though. It's possible that the Afghan government can and will step up in time and defeat the Taliban after we've run away. I think it's much more likely that the current government simply goes over to the Taliban and Karzai cuts the best deal he can, and al Qaeda returns to its safe haven. But it is possible that we leave and yet still gain our desired result - a government that does not host and protect terrorists that attack us. If that happens, then it's even possible to argue that by establishing the pull-out date, Obama forced Karzai to step up more quickly and might even have saved US lives.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
IMHO, it's because he hates America, just like Palin, Bush, CHENEY, and McCain always have and always will. And I'm serious; no one who loves America could be dumb enough to support this war, not even Palin. And Obama has no plans to pull out anytime soon.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Must be your week to troll the Forum.

We are spending $160 billion/year in Iraq & Afghanistan, plus another $40-$50 billion/year in interest on the one trillion dollars spent since the WoT was initiated.

What was initially the hunt for OBL has 'mission-creeped' into a $200 billion/year clusterfook.

So. You have a choice:

1) Pay for it (and pay back the money 'borrowed' from the trust funds); and/or

2) Declare 'mission accomplished' and re-deploy.

If you were paying attention, the CBO issued a report that declared we can save $1 trillion+ over the next ten years by reducing deployment to 30k troops in Iraq & Afghanistan in 2011.

So instead of trolling, ""Where do you stand?""

--

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with respect to the OP.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's sad to think of all the people who were so gung ho over this, the appropriate war, now act like Obama is playing politics with the lives of the enlisted, when it was a mess ignored for 7 years that he inherited. Where was the concern for Afghanistan and the troops then??

The short memories and political asshatery of Bush voters never fails to disgust me. Criticism from this crowd is close to meaningless.

Nov 30, 2006
It's sad to think of all the people who were so gung ho over this, the appropriate war, now act like Obama is playing politics with the lives of the enlisted, when it was a mess ignored for 7 years that he inherited. Where was the concern for Afghanistan and the troops then??

The short memories and political asshatery of Bush voters never fails to disgust me. Criticism from this crowd is close to meaningless.
Since criticism from the Bush voters is disgusting and meaningless...why don't you enlighten us with 'meaningful' thoughts on what we should do.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Since criticism from the Bush voters is disgusting and meaningless...why don't you enlighten us with 'meaningful' thoughts on what we should do.

How about going to the homes of the troops who have died because of Bush's ADD and apologizing to them on behalf of the president you voted for.

Nov 30, 2006
How about going to the homes of the troops who have died because of Bush's ADD and apologizing to them on behalf of the president you voted for.
You know...you're quite a piece of work. Perhaps you would like to share your profound and unerring insight into what we should do.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

So you can cherry pick it, break out the partisan talking points, then let your faulty memory spare you from having to address uncomfortable facts? Darn, so tempting, even if it is a method you've employed countless times on this forum.

Nahh, I think I'll save it for those worth the time involved. For trolls like you, my post should be taken as a request for you to cease complaining if all you can do is act like an amnesia riddled hypocrite. Like I said, meaningless.

Nov 30, 2006
So you can cherry pick it, break out the partisan talking points, then let your faulty memory spare you from having to address uncomfortable facts? Darn, so tempting, even if it is a method you've employed countless times on this forum.

Nahh, I think I'll save it for those worth the time involved. For trolls like you, my post should be taken as a request for you to cease complaining if all you can do is act like an amnesia riddled hypocrite. Like I said, meaningless.
Why is such a simple question so damn difficult to answer?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Obama, being a very smart man, is coming to the realization there is nothing to 'win' since winning would be removal of fundi religion and he does not want to go there.

No in 6 months after we gone old scores will be settled, wealthy like Karzi will fly to Switzerland and Burkas will be back. Nothing accomplished.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Agree. Wow...that was quite profound! But you didn't answer the question...do I need to talk slower?

LOL, here we go with the "wah wah don't blame us for botching the war, accountability is a 4 letter word, wah wah, just provide constructive commentary on what to do now, don't cry over spilled milk, wah wah".

COIN

You had 7 years, now just be quiet and let the Obama administration try to win and withdraw. And stop Jane Fondaing

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Shit, I just figured it out! Obama is fighting another eighteen months after announcing we quit because NASA needs time to make the Afghan people feel good about their contributions to math, science and engineering.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
LOL, here we go with the "wah wah don't blame us for botching the war, accountability is a 4 letter word, wah wah, just provide constructive commentary on what to do now, don't cry over spilled milk, wah wah".

COIN

You had 7 years, now just be quiet and let the Obama administration try to win and withdraw. And stop Jane Fondaing

Quite a statement giving how much the opposition undermined the efforts in Iraq. Nothing says committment like whining dissent or a timeline that lets the enemy know how long he has to wait for, and conversely how little committed to those that live there laying their necks on the line, before you'll quit.

The Loony Left....another amazing example.

Chuck

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Quite a statement giving how much the opposition undermined the efforts in Iraq. Nothing says committment like whining dissent or a timeline that lets the enemy know how long he has to wait for, and conversely how little committed to those that live there laying their necks on the line, before you'll quit.

The Loony Left....another amazing example.

Chuck

You're right, the opposition did undermine the efforts in Iraq

Nov 30, 2006

COIN

I know this may be very difficult for you to grasp...but I don't represent a group of people called "us". But I'm sure this kind of 'thinking' makes it easier for you to deal with those who may not agree with you...it's just so much easier that way isn't it?

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Obama has no intention of ending the war soon, that much should be obvious by now. The looneys just want to keep blaming Bush, no matter how badly Obama screws up.