Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Starting today I'm going to go out of my way to never give EA another penny of my money. I've been a long time hater of EA but this just takes it way too far. If I pay money to a company to play a game for an indefinite amount of time they are obligated to refund that money upon termination of service. I have no doubt it is in the EULA somewhere that entitles them to outright steal your money but its just not right and I want no part in contributing to that kind of bullshit.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I'm curious about something...

I'm in no way advocating this type of action, but whats to stop someone from pulling the entire Origin forums member's list, then making a post saying...

"Fuck {paste all members}"

The thought struck me too that probably the only way that this would be addressed would be an all out assault.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm curious about something...

I'm in no way advocating this type of action, but whats to stop someone from pulling the entire Origin forums member's list, then making a post saying...

"Fuck {paste all members}"

Do it. Lets see if everyone gets banned and get a class action suit going.

Apr 12, 2010
At rate it's going, I'm waiting for a huge case to land in EA's lap. Something they can't pay no mind to paying off & brushing it off as if nothing happened.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
EA is relying on the idea that nobody probably has the money to pay the lawyers to challenge them , what they are doing is illegal and the courts have struck down companies trying it over and over.

It is just like the licensing software crap that both microsoft and autodesk tried to pull, saying you bought a license that could be revoked at any time by the company. The courts ruled that either a company can sell you a product or rent you a product but they can't do both. If it is a sale then there is no amount of legalize in the agreement that gives the company the right to take it back or limit your re-sale of the item. If it is a rental it has to have the time frame listed that the rental is valid and when the rights to the renter end with a date agreed upon by the renter.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Starting today I'm going to go out of my way to never give EA another penny of my money. I've been a long time hater of EA but this just takes it way too far. If I pay money to a company to play a game for an indefinite amount of time they are obligated to refund that money upon termination of service. I have no doubt it is in the EULA somewhere that entitles them to outright steal your money but its just not right and I want no part in contributing to that kind of bullshit.

I haven't given EA 1 cent in two years because of their practices.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
Just FYI SWTOR is NOT through the origin system unless you chose to purchase it through Origin. I don't understand why they permaban an entire account. If people post stupid stuff on forums (all the time) then just ban them from the forums. It would cut down on some of the spam lol.

I've never had this happen to anyone I know, but I think if you are got cheating by VAC in steam you are banned from ALL VAC protected servers in any steam game. I'm pretty sure it only affects your multiplayer capabilities, which that seems pretty fair. Ban the hackers causing trouble in any steam protected servers to try to keep their games free of em, but it still allows the cheaters to play public servers and access their games for singeplayer NP.

If that is how steam works, steam seems like a very fair system to even those who break the rules.

Last edited:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I'm confused. Why is this thread full of EA hate when it isn't EA doing the banning and they specifically said it is out of their hands?

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
Internet forum posters = All talk, no action.

"I'm not going to give EA any of my money!"

*Promptly goes and buys SWTOR or ME3 or NFLwhateveryear or Need For Speed 23 or Dragon Age whatever or Sims whatever.*

My guess is EA will record enormous profits again next year, since it is all talk. Just like the infamous CoD boycotts that happened, in which an astounding number of boycotters bought and were playing.

Easy thing to do? Don't post on the forums. Just live with it. None of you will ever, ever change how things work.

Such a tiny amount of people will even know of anything "evil" EA has done, since it isn't anywhere on the internet except certain gaming websites and obviously never on the news. If it was Microsoft that did something evil with Windows, then people would know because it is actual news. Of the people who see it on a gaming website, most won't care, a small amount will care and will still buy EA products, a smaller amount will care, say they aren't going to buy EA products but continue to do so, and barely a handful will actually stop buying EA products.

Last edited:

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I'm confused. Why is this thread full of EA hate when it isn't EA doing the banning and they specifically said it is out of their hands?

What? EA is the company we're talking about. EA owns Origin, employs the people who run it, owns the forums related to it, etc. And it may not have been mentioned in this thread yet but there are people on the EA UK forums who are being at least suspended from their games in exactly the same manner( I haven't seen anyone saying ban yet, simply coincidence that it's suspensions). That's right, the EA forums.

Easy thing to do? Don't post on the forums. Just live with it. None of you will ever, ever change how things work.

You think forum troubles will be the only unjust way and or reason for which EA bans people from their games? Just wait. TOR is coming.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Incredible. Unfortunately I stopped buying EA games way back; otherwise I'd stop now.

I only wish as many people as possible get screwed by this immediately, so EA will face such pushback it has to fix everything. As long as it's just a gamer here and there getting screwed, nothing will happen unless someone at EA suddenly grows a conscience.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Every time I play an EA game I often end up swearing a fair amount. I think they planned it that way so that they can ban me and think I'll buy another copy of their crappy wares.

Next up you will be required to wear a working mic headset while playing EA single player games and if EA's swear detecting voice recognition software detects cursing your account will be immediately suspended. :D

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Next up you will be required to wear a working mic headset while playing EA single player games and if EA's swear detecting voice recognition software detects cursing your account will be immediately suspended. :D
Think positive. They might be flexible and let you off with a warning if you have a webcam and give the moderators a little "service".

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Think positive. They might be flexible and let you off with a warning if you have a webcam and give the moderators a little "service".

Not sure I'd want any sort of "service" from all the swearing 13 year olds.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not sure I'd want any sort of "service" from all the swearing 13 year olds.

Pedobear.png

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
What? EA is the company we're talking about. EA owns Origin, employs the people who run it, owns the forums related to it, etc. And it may not have been mentioned in this thread yet but there are people on the EA UK forums who are being at least suspended from their games in exactly the same manner( I haven't seen anyone saying ban yet, simply coincidence that it's suspensions). That's right, the EA forums.

You think forum troubles will be the only unjust way and or reason for which EA bans people from their games? Just wait. TOR is coming.

Those people need to refer the whole thing to the OFT (Office of Fair Trading) and once a threshold has been reached the costs of any action get's paid for by the taxpayer. It's not a guarantee but there are laws in place that should prevent EA from such actions, they just need enough complaints to pay attention to it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Depends what's in them. They can't put anything in there and get you to agree. You have rights guaranteed by law, and that law trumps anything they put in the "contact ".

Plus the ELUA and TOS are contracts of adhesion, meaning that the author of the contract (EA/Origin) is the only party with bargaining power over the contract; the other party (the consumer) is presented the contract on a "take it or leave it" basis. That measn that any and all provisions of the contract must be interpreted in the most favorable light possible for the consumer.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Read the article. People have gotten banned for quoting people and responding to them on the forums (the person who they would quote would be banned as well, usually for language). Others have been banned for simply complaining about cheaters online.

Any warning prior to the ban ?

These forums on anandtech a moderator warns you if you get out of line.

I could see origin wanting to ban you from the forums only if they warned you multiple times just like a moderator in this forum would do to you...but banning you from playing your purchased games is a load of bs and at this point you mind as well be controlled by skynet.

Now if they banned you without warning then its a whole other matter and i would avoid origin forums like a plague i tell you.

I've received infractions and even short vacations here for quoting someone who had a picture in their post that might have either been NSFW, or fit the "babe pic" category.

It's not that I agree with what's happening at Origin...I think that kind of thing is wrong...VERY wrong, merely pointing out that it happens in more places than people realize.

IMO, what happens on the forums should NOT affect your game play...and that if you get busted for <insert infraction> in multi-player, you should NOT lose your ability to play single player.
it pisses me off enough that I have to have an internet connection to play a single player game...that just ain't right.

/old man rant