Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
He knowingly broke the rules, that's all that matter in the eyes of EA. Sadly...

Well, let me say this. The attention EA's unjust policies get is going to increase 100 fold when they start banning people that have 6 months, a year, 2 years etc put into Star Wars TOR accounts.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So it's OK if you run someone over, but they don't take your property because you can't afford to pay damages in court?

He broke the rules, it sucks, but it's as simple as that.

why did you bring injury/manslaughter/murder into this argument?

:hmm:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He knowingly broke the rules, that's all that matter in the eyes of EA. Sadly...

why does EA have the right to take back your property after crossing them outside the borders of this specific property?

:hmm:

Me: Yay! what I nice apple, I'm gonna buy that!

*walks away from apple stand*

Apple Vendor: You stepped on that lovely lady bug on your way out of my apple stand! You should have read the "no-stepping-on-ladybugs" rule that I showed you after you purchased your apple!
give me back that Apple! No REFUNDS!

Me: Whhhattt?

see.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure ToS and EULAs are not legally binding documents on their own.

They are contracts. If they're valid contracts they're legally binding, if not they're not.

You're going to have a hard time getting a court to reverse their action.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
How is quoting somebody's response breaking any rule?

Example:
Spidey: I hate interracial gay marriage, anyone who does it needs to be burned from the earth.
Craig234: Quotes Spidey in response. You've been added to my ignore list.
Both Spidey and Craig234 gets banned.

Another example(this is what was described in the OP actually):
Spidey: F*ck you Craig234!
EA mods give BOTH Spidey and Craig234 the banhammer.

What rule did Craig234 break?

If you get banned for something someone says, that's wrong IMO.

If you get banned for quoting something inappropriate, that's questionable but a gray area.

When in doubt use common sense about what you include in a quote.

Regardless, the issue is your games should not be taken over the forum issue.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They are contracts. If they're valid contracts they're legally binding, if not they're not.

You're going to have a hard time getting a court to reverse their action.

Depends what's in them. They can't put anything in there and get you to agree. You have rights guaranteed by law, and that law trumps anything they put in the "contact ".

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
I don't know why people even register and post in Origin forum knowing what Origin did. There are tons of gaming forums you can curse and get banned without affecting your subscriptions. Like Anandtech :)

Having said that, Origin's practice sucks and I am not buying any of their games.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Boycott EA unless you have Stockholm syndrome. I don't want to hear about how good BF3 is... EA is blatantly anti-consumer and they don't deserve your money.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
This isn't anything new. Just remember it next time it comes time to open the wallet for an EA product.

This.

I remember back in the original EQ a player getting his forum and game account banned for writing a story in their rpg forum area where such stories were supposed to be I believe and it involved inkie rape, the nickname for the dark elves then, back in 2000 it looks like.

Sure it sucks but linking your forum account to your game account and being creepy / a jerk is never a good thing.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Another reason to avoid origin like the plague and use steam.

BF3 is the only exception.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Its no secret that EA's depravity has no bounds. At this point those purchasing their games are like those women who keep going back to an abusive boyfriend. You feel sorry for them, but they should know better.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
This.

I remember back in the original EQ a player getting his forum and game account banned for writing a story in their rpg forum area where such stories were supposed to be I believe and it involved inkie rape, the nickname for the dark elves then, back in 2000 it looks like.

Sure it sucks but linking your forum account to your game account and being creepy / a jerk is never a good thing.

Yes, the "Mystere incident". It is my belief that EA is going to make that look like child's play with their TOR bans.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
He broke the rules, it sucks, but it's as simple as that.

Are you a complete idiot?

If you read the OP's link(fixed in post #63 if you couldnt figure it out yourself) or the others posted since(post # 53) you will find out the bannings are not the fault of the people being banned.

If i post "RavenSEAL is a fucking idiot", and YOU get banned, how is that your fault?

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
EA and orgin are wrong. if you pay for a product and you get banned from teh forums then that shouldn't effect the game at all.

hopefully someone takes them to court over it and wins. EULA's are a joke anyway.

I don't use the games forums for reasons like this (only wow's and they have stated they woudln't do this).

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am glad to have read this. I will avoid EA like the plague from now on. I kind of wanted to get Mass Effect 3, but after dealing with the issues I had installing DA:O and Mass Effect 2 I was already wary about buying the third edition. This just pushes it over the top, and I can't imagine buying it.

It is nice to see that such poor customer support is having a negative effect on the company. Maybe they will see how the bottom line is affected, and make changes to their rather poor customer service.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Any this is why I stopped buying EA games for the most part. I also don't play FPS online anymore. Rampant and blatant cheating from day one. You have sites like Artificial Aiming dedicated to creating and selling cheats for games like this. All FPS games like this. AA isn't the only site either to provide cheats and do it pretty respectably. By respectable I mean they actually only give you cheats and not viruses or other things. Unfortunately most out there capitalize upon idiots looking for cheats for online games and use that to put viruses on people's computers or just to steal CC info.

Still, the rampant cheating in FPS games is a major turn off. Because you either do it too or you will be stomped. It is also usually pretty easy to recognize the cheaters if you are in spectator mode at least. Most of them are pretty blatant about it and do crap like tracking people through walls to shoot them with a headshot as they come around the corner instantly. Or just spray an area full of people and have all or almost all be headshots. The majority of the cheats allow you to track people through walls and give you aimbot functionality. This is because ALL these games have code in them for allowing the NPC bots in single player mode to shoot players. All the aim bot cheat does it use that same code and make it available to the player instead.

Which means if you are just aiming in the general direction of a target, don't even have to be pointing at that target exactly, and you press the button to fire while the cheat is activated then it will automatically snap your reticule on that targets head and fire a shot for an instant headshot.

Again the worst part is every single FPS shooter ever released has been like this. Single player mode grants access to aimbot code through cheats. EA and other FPS game developers don't care either. Hence why I stopped playing FPS shooters online and why I generally don't buy games from EA, Ubisoft, or other game developers that are as seriously retarded as they are. My money is better spent elsewhere than on those dingle berries and their inferior products.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Any this is why I stopped buying EA games for the most part. I also don't play FPS online anymore. Rampant and blatant cheating from day one. You have sites like Artificial Aiming dedicated to creating and selling cheats for games like this. All FPS games like this. AA isn't the only site either to provide cheats and do it pretty respectably. By respectable I mean they actually only give you cheats and not viruses or other things. Unfortunately most out there capitalize upon idiots looking for cheats for online games and use that to put viruses on people's computers or just to steal CC info.

Still, the rampant cheating in FPS games is a major turn off. Because you either do it too or you will be stomped. It is also usually pretty easy to recognize the cheaters if you are in spectator mode at least. Most of them are pretty blatant about it and do crap like tracking people through walls to shoot them with a headshot as they come around the corner instantly. Or just spray an area full of people and have all or almost all be headshots. The majority of the cheats allow you to track people through walls and give you aimbot functionality. This is because ALL these games have code in them for allowing the NPC bots in single player mode to shoot players. All the aim bot cheat does it use that same code and make it available to the player instead.

Which means if you are just aiming in the general direction of a target, don't even have to be pointing at that target exactly, and you press the button to fire while the cheat is activated then it will automatically snap your reticule on that targets head and fire a shot for an instant headshot.

Again the worst part is every single FPS shooter ever released has been like this. Single player mode grants access to aimbot code through cheats. EA and other FPS game developers don't care either. Hence why I stopped playing FPS shooters online and why I generally don't buy games from EA, Ubisoft, or other game developers that are as seriously retarded as they are. My money is better spent elsewhere than on those dingle berries and their inferior products.
This occurs when you have business men in charge of game companies instead of gamers in charge.

1: Everyone is stealing from us, load up the DRM like crazy.
2: Cheaters are paying customers