Baltimore Magazine is going to use 2 pictures of mine! EDIT: Page image added

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I'm not gonna hide the fact that this is complete brag thread, but I'm so excited I just have to tell people...

I took a bunch of pictures after 2 blizzards hit the Baltimore area in February of this year and have had them on flickr ever since. I got an email from someone at Baltimore Magazine asking if they could use one of my pictures for a story on the blizzards. I was excited, but disappointed because they picked one that I don't really like (or, at least, it's not even close to my favorite).

Here's the one they picked:

4349089538_4bc286cfbb.jpg

On Friday I got a frantic email from the same lady who had contacted me before telling me they want to use another picture for the Table of Contents but they need it within an hour. Another one of my pictures, near the front of the Magazine? Sweet! And, as icing on the cake, they actually picked one that I like:

4346688294_cca7fea352.jpg

It's gonna be so incredibly cool to see my pictures and name in a (regionally) popular magazine.

/brag thread

Edit: Here's a low-res image of the table of contents page! I didn't think my pic would be so big! Sweet.

5185149402_d56d79f101.jpg

Last edited:

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Yep, had to sign a non-disclosure agreement because it's in the millions, haha.

Seriously though, are you getting any payment? You should be. Not to sound like a dick, but magazines have become notorious for doing this in the Flickr-Age because "It's gonna be so incredibly cool to see my pictures and name in a (regionally) popular magazine."

You deserve $$, not a brag thread on a message board. Well, ideally you deserve both. But you know what I mean.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Seriously though, are you getting any payment? You should be. Not to sound like a dick, but magazines have become notorious for doing this in the Flickr-Age because "It's gonna be so incredibly cool to see my pictures and name in a (regionally) popular magazine."

You deserve $$, not a brag thread on a message board. Well, ideally you deserve both. But you know what I mean.

I agree with you completely. In this age of micro-stock photography and sites like flickr, people are getting fleeced.

I did get paid. They tried to not pay me, but I wasn't having it.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Congrats man, those pictures are really good. What equipment did you use? Also if you don't me asking approx. how much are you being paid? I'm trying to sell some of my photos as well and I'm just curious what some establishments will pay. If you don't want to disclose that info, I understand.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
I agree with you completely. In this age of micro-stock photography and sites like flickr, people are getting fleeced.

I did get paid. They tried to not pay me, but I wasn't having it.

:thumbsup: Good to hear.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Congrats man, those pictures are really good. What equipment did you use? Also if you don't me asking approx. how much are you being paid? I'm trying to sell some of my photos as well and I'm just curious what some establishments will pay. If you don't want to disclose that info, I understand.

That's a tough question because I can't remember if I switched to Nikon before or after the blizzards...

I believe I used a Nikon D300 and the lens was most likely a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.

They're both a combination of 3 bracketed exposures (HDR).

I'll send you pay info via PM.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
They're both a combination of 3 bracketed exposures (HDR).

I really enjoy that picture, nice work. Do you happen to remember the difference in stops you used between the pictures? Did you do any other post processing?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
did you give them a T&C? In addition, how long did you give them the license to use your image for? Front cover stuff is mucho mucho $$$.

I hope you didn't do a "work for hire" or in another words, they own the rights to your image.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
did you give them a T&C? In addition, how long did you give them the license to use your image for? Front cover stuff is mucho mucho $$$.

I hope you didn't do a "work for hire" or in another words, they own the rights to your image.

They paid me to use the images one time. No rights involved.

Neither are front cover images, one's in the table of contents, one is in a story about Baltimore's 2010 defining moments.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
one time usage fee! awesome! P.S. there are always rights involved, but in this case, you own the original rights, and you just sold them a single use license.

They didn't mention "exclusive rights" so that means another magazine can use that image too! If they want exclusive rights, $$$

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
one time usage fee! awesome! P.S. there are always rights involved, but in this case, you own the original rights, and you just sold them a single use license.

They didn't mention "exclusive rights" so that means another magazine can use that image too! If they want exclusive rights, $$$

Yeah, you're right. It was a "One Time Usage Fee."

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
congratulations, I have had one photo used in an online magazine in San Francisco but they mislabeled the waterfall as the vernell falls instead of the nevada. I did not get paid and I am not a pro so I do not have issues with that. Most print media is losing subscribers and i bet the amount they pay has been going down over the years.

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
Really super photos! Nice to hear of the publication. Be sure to get several copies of the publication for "whatever" future use, perhaps to advertise for more work and publications.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Gratz2u and gratz for not taking money directly out of my pocket (wife is a pro), as in the flickr-age - as in what arrfep said yada yada. I couldn't tell you how many offers I get to be published for free, as if prestige were enough for my stupid photos.