Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Kristijonas, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Senior member

2. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Since there's already a 300-post thread on this, yeah, I'd say people are excited.

3. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Day 1 purchase for me. Cross platform multiplayer sounds awesome!

4. Dkcode

Dkcode Senior member

Never played through the original series and was planning to pick up both 1 & 2 from GoG.com but as this is just around the corner with professional optimization for modern hardware i'll be picking up this one for sure.

5. preslove

preslove Lifer

Glad to see there are release date/months put up. I'll be buying on my iPad asap.

6. clok1966

clok1966 Golden Member

Never played this stuff Multiplayer.. how would it work? combat is puase,asign actions and watch, rince repeat, isnt it? how would that work multiplayer?

7. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

I am a PC/windows guy, but the ability to play on either the iPad or my wife's mac is too good to pass up. Traveling quite a bit, this will be the ultimate time-killer while on the road. :)

8. Arkadrel

Arkadrel Diamond Member

I cant find my CDs for the orginal game, so....
    might just buy this, simply because I miss a good old RPG like this that much.

Why the fudge cant more game developers make games like these?
    we need a brand new Icewind dale, and Baldurs Gate..... planescape torment, ect.

9. Dkcode

Dkcode Senior member

We got Wasteland 2 coming it its a start.

10. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

How would the controls work on a tablet? Do you plug in an external controller of some sort? Seems like it would be really hard to play with a touch only interface. I am quite interested in this franchise, but dont know if I have the time or patience to get into it. I would only do it on the PC though.

11. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

It would be much harder to play with a controller than with touchscreen. Pause and play RPGs are perfect for touchscreen devices.

12. DucatiMonster696

DucatiMonster696 Diamond Member

The original only required a mouse and keyboard to play and it could also be played in a turn base/pause and issue commands mode.

[​IMG]

So basically the control scheme isn't something that touch screen tablets would have difficulty with at all. If anything it the game would be more touch based to take advantage of the touch screen abilities of a tablet and revamped UI.

#12 DucatiMonster696, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

I can see how touch would work for pause/issue commands/cast spells/ etc. How would you control movement of your party though, some-kind of virtual movement arrows? My only experience with touch controls is on a 7" tablet. Maybe it would work better on a larger screen. Just doesnt seem that it would have near the precision of a keyboard and mouse.

14. Gordon Freemen

Gordon Freemen Golden Member

WOW I always wanted to try BG I think it is my type of game almost picked up a box copy when I was on Linux full time for a while yes BG is native to Linux platform FTW. I guess I will defiantly pick up this enhanced copy for sure now. Anyone whom had played this game what do you think of it let me know in your opinion what you honestly think with details.

15. DucatiMonster696

The same way you do in game with a PC and mouse. Click/Tap on a character you can see and then click/tap where you want them to go the map/screen.

16. JamesV

JamesV Platinum Member

Two ways.

Each player controls an individual character, or multiple characters. You don't really need to pause, but I think if I remember correctly, anyone can pause the game.

The other way is single player, played through the multiplayer interface, which allows you to custom build all your characters, instead of having the predefined characters join you as you adventure. This is the way I normally play.

This is coming on Steam?

17. thespyder

thespyder Golden Member

My understanding is no. it is on Beamdog? And is exclusive (I am pretty sure on this). Which means yet another Game management system required on your computer. Ugh...

18. ShreddedWheat

ShreddedWheat Senior member

What is up with that picture? It looks like someone photoshopped something (of a different color pallet) on top of the environment scenery? Does anyone else notice this? The colors do not match???

19. DucatiMonster696

I grabbed the image off the net for the purposes of illustrating the default UI. Apparently its a screenshot of the expansion called "Shadow of Amn".

http://www.manapool.co.uk/baldurs-gate-2-shadows-of-amn-review/

#19 DucatiMonster696, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  20. thespyder

thespyder Golden Member

Not expansion. It is from Baldur's Gate 2. Which is a full and complete game unto itself.

21. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Eh?

I thought Beamdog is the name of the company. Where does it say they have their own Steam/Origin like service?

22. thespyder

thespyder Golden Member

Check out the web site. it may not be a "Steam like" PC Resident application like I thought. Maybe more like GoG. But I did read that BG - Enhanced will be exclusive to be downloaded from the beamdog website and NOT on Steam or origin. At least not initially. And since Beamdog owns Overhaul games, that kind of makes sense.

23. thespyder

thespyder Golden Member

I read an interview last night where the folks at Beam Dog/Overhaul games were approached to actually make BG:EE for the PSN. And that they felt that they could do it, but... That it would take more money than Sony was willing to come up with.

I am so very glad that they didn't consolize the game. And that it will not now show up on either the PS3 or the 360. I am still skeptical as to the degree to which it will be "Enhanced", but at least it won't be borked due to Consolization.

24. Ashenor

Ashenor Golden Member

So is the iPad version a "full version" compared to the PC one?

25. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I can see why some people are looking forward to this, the ability to take a game like this with you on your tablet or phone is great. For me, I already played it and there doesn't seem to be enough major changes to make me want to spend time in this game again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.