Baking works! Resurrected 2 9800GT's

supaidaaman

Nov 17, 2005
I just resurrected 2 completely dead 9800GT's by baking them in a toaster oven for 9min @ 400 (ish) The stickers got a tiny bit tan, but who cares! They were out of warranty. Before, one would artifact and power into sleep mode..the other wouldn't even display.

Now they both pass 20min of ATI tool with 60c temps!

Just thought Id share my success!

(dont do it in an oven you would cook in...there were definitely some fumes!)

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
i hope you only have a temporary use...who knows how long it'll last; baking to reflow is typically only a temporary bandaid

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
The amount of cards revived by baking is staggering. If you want them to last longer, create a custom fan profile that keeps the delta between idle and load much tighter.

If you keep your computer on 24/7 I would first see what the load temperatures are and then set the idle to just under that. Idling at 80*C isn't as bad as constant temperature changes.

Often times tight load/idle temperature deltas create an annoying effect where the fan goes high, then low, then high, then low... This can be improved by using a program that includes some hysteresis into its profiles, and by upping the overall temperatures.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I thought that was going to be another lame submerged computer attempt. Was pleasantly surprised.

praktik

Jan 23, 2009
Baking is cool - but also uncool.

I picked up a card 2nd hand that was baked. Never worked for me but worked for the seller. After some months of back and forth recovered my investment.

But ya, sure it was working for him before he sent it - but by the time the 4870x2 arrived on my end it was not.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
So the solder points re-broke again during shipping then? LOL

Yeah, he should have just re-baked it. ;)

Is it just that the idle/load temps on these cards were that far apart or is the solder just crappier. My 9600XT from still works and its been used non-stop since I bought it, just after launch back in late 2003.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Yeah, he should have just re-baked it. ;)

Is it just that the idle/load temps on these cards were that far apart or is the solder just crappier. My 9600XT from still works and its been used non-stop since I bought it, just after launch back in late 2003.
they used the wrong type of solder, i figured everyone and their grandmother on here had heard about this issue by now, it killed a ton of laptops as well and cost nv like 1.5billion in repair bills. same guy @ nvidia that was responsible for fermi being late as well lol

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
In other news, intel has an issue with their sata ports...stay tuned for details!

edit: that deep fried computer story is hilarious!

Last edited:

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Just baked my HD4850 @385deg for 12min and it seems to work fine so far. I removed my Zalman cooler, but left the mem heatsinks which are fragged taped on as well as the mosfet heatsinks. Baked it GPU side down with some folded tinfoil under the 6-pin connector block to keep the board level while on the cookie sheet.

Before the baking the card started artifacting in BFBC2 and horrible artifacting while running ATi overdrive testing which would fail the test. Re-setting the card, ect would not correct it, so I figured what the hell...bake the MFkr!

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I tossed an 8800gt away thinking gave up the ghost for good. I wish I would have kept it. I think I do have an old Evga 7900gs still kicking around that died years ago. I kept it around to RMA it but never bothered to do so!hehe I might toss that in the oven, but I would be afraid of killing my motherboard trying it out afterwards.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
I recently baked a GTX 280 that had pink screen of death lockups. A friend offered it to me for free if I wanted it. 10 minutes at 425... it's been running without a hiccup for three weeks :D

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Baking is usually a temporary fix, after which the card dies permanently.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Baking is usually a temporary fix, after which the card dies permanently.

We'll see, but youre probably right due to the fact that baking only fixes a hair line fracture in a solder joint and does not magically repair an actual component which is going out of spec and overheating the solder joint before it finally craps out. But its nice to get a litttle more mileage out of the card :)