Baking my GTX660Ti

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Hi! Today i baked my old GTX660Ti. I put oven at 200C, put VGA in but after 6-7 minutes kondenzators start falling of and their bottom eject out.

http://imgur.com/vKNloAT
http://imgur.com/a/toluO

Can I replace this or is card definitely dead?
a) You baked your GPU. Did you actually expect it to survive?
b) Did you bake it with the surface mount components on the underside of the board? As in: gravity could pull out components when the solder melted? If so, what did you expect would happen? That they would magically hold on through sheer will? If you didn't your caps should have stayed in place - but not if they blew up due to heat. Exploding caps are like tiny, aerodynamically awful rockets.
c) Capacitors, and especially liquid electrolytic ones, really don't like heat. If the bottoms of the caps ejected, they're utterly dead and need replacement with a similarly specced part.

I take it this was done to attempt to fix a dead/dying card, to see if it worked? As in: not a crucial part of your computer? In general, especially in a household stove, this is a bad idea. Temperatures aren't even close to accurate (at 200C, you easily have a +/- 10-15% margin of error at the very least, which means it could be anything from 170-230C in reality (which is why chefs always say to learn your particular stove and adjust temperatures accordingly)), and as heat isn't directed you end up melting stuff you don't want to melt.

Unless you have a soldering station of reasonable quality and either the skill or will/time to learn how to fix this, I'd call it a day and recycle the card.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Do 660 cards need to be baked?
I thought that was only G92 cards that it worked for?
It 'works' (for varying definitions of worked) for any computer board which has failed due to solder cracking/withdrawing from the PCB and breaking contacts. Sometimes baking at just the right temp for just the right amount of time permits the solder to remelt in an appropriate way to reform the contacts, but it's a phenomenally inexact science, and should only be attempted on stuff you have already written off as an L.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Do 660 cards need to be baked?
I thought that was only G92 cards that it worked for?
Fermi also. Successfully fixed a gtx 580 myself. As for the OP, that card is dead. I'm amazed more things didn't fall off. 200c is too hot. If I recall correctly most electrical solder melts around 188c.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
See this? That's a hot air soldering gun. For £26. (I bet with a minute or two of searching you'll find one either from China or whereever you're located for the same price.) That's nothing at all. If you insist on "baking" cards, at least make the tiny, tiny effort of not doing it in the dumbest way possible. Putting the card into a domestic cooking stove and crossing your fingers is the equivalent of chucking axes at someone mounted to one of those spinning circus wheels and hoping you amputate the limb that has gangrene.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
If you have a soldering iron then you can put those capacitors back in. If the capacitors themselves have been damaged, then they are not too expensive to replace. However, it's pretty much guaranteed to fail again in the same way at some point, so it's hardly worth the effort for an old card.

http://imgur.com/a/dGj2o
I need to find some informations about this 2 capacitors.
They are solid electrolyte capacitors. The first number is the capacitance, 270µF for the big one and 820µF for the small one. The last line is probably the voltage code, but I don't recognise them - could be 2.9V and 2V, but 2.9V would be very unusal.

a) You baked your GPU. Did you actually expect it to survive?...
Back when the switch to lead-free solder made this issue common, there were a lot of people who successfully revived dead nVidia cards by doing this. Multiple times for the same card in some cases.

...Did you bake it with the surface mount components on the underside of the board? As in: gravity could pull out components when the solder melted? If so, what did you expect would happen?...
For surface-mount components, surface tension in the solder will hold them in quite well. Even small through-hole components will usually remain in place upside-down with through-plated holes (which I know very well after spending some frustrating times trying to remove the damned things from cards like that one).