Bah Humbug!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Of course...6 months after the extended warranty expired...:roll:

Needless to say, it died with a load of clothes in mid-cycle...

I've done as much troubleshooting as I can. I THINK it's the motor control board fuse, but, of course, it's not easily replaceable...soldered into place so I have to replace the entire board. (no, I'm NOT electrician enough to try to de-solder it, replace it, and re-solder it...successfully)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Shawn
soldering is easy

I've had mixed success soldering on PC boards in the past.

I've owned older BMW's for many, many years, and some of them are notorious for crappy solder joints in some of the control boards. I've fixed a few, fucked up a few...:D

Sears wants $75 for the service call PLUS parts and labor. The control board is about $140, so with just a little bit of labor, I'm gonna be at $300 to repair a 6 year old washer...not sure I'm gonna do it.

Originally posted by: Baked
Should've bought it from Costco!

We've had it long enough that I think even Costco would balk at taking it back...

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD
soldering is easy

I've owned older BMW's for many, many years, and some of them are notorious for crappy solder joints in some of the control boards. I've fixed a few, fucked up a few...:D

Sears wants $75 for the service call PLUS parts and labor. The control board is about $140, so with just a little bit of labor, I'm gonna be at $300 to repair a 6 year old washer...not sure I'm gonna do it.

We've had it long enough that I think even Costco would balk at taking it back...

fix it yourself or get a new one

finite automaton

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2008
Originally posted by: vshah
Originally posted by: BoomerD
soldering is easy

fix it yourself or get a new one

I'm pretty sure he had already figured that those were his options.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If the fuse blows fast you have a bigger problem. If it blew because the motor was overloaded then you should be OK. Do you measure voltage across the fuse? If so it's open. You could clip wires to each side and connect a 100W incandescent bulb. If it glows bright and the motor does not try to turn over you have fault somewhere else. This will limit the power to 100W so things won't go seriously awry as they would with a jumped out fuse.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
maybe a replacement board is available for less on ebay and you can swap it yourself?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
If the fuse blows fast you have a bigger problem. If it blew because the motor was overloaded then you should be OK. Do you measure voltage across the fuse? If so it's open. You could clip wires to each side and connect a 100W incandescent bulb. If it glows bright and the motor does not try to turn over you have fault somewhere else. This will limit the power to 100W so things won't go seriously awry as they would with a jumped out fuse.

Thanks. I'll take a look at trying this to get by.

Originally posted by: vshah
maybe a replacement board is available for less on ebay and you can swap it yourself?

I had the console apart this afternoon. Only 2 screws holding the board in place and several connectors to swap out. Part of the problem is that I don't know for sure that it's the problem, and I hate "troubleshooting" by swapping parts.

Also, I'd be very suspect of any part from Scam-bay...and I don't do any business there. (got burned once too often.)

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
If the repair is actually around $300. and is 6 years old, a new one runs what?....... $500.?

Buy a new one. (as long as you're talking top loader)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KLin
soldering is easy

We're not talking about soldering a power cord to a dvd player here.

Soldering heavier gauge wire is actually fairly difficult.... well, at least without a proper iron.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: KLin
soldering is easy

We're not talking about soldering a power cord to a dvd player here.

Soldering heavier gauge wire is actually fairly difficult.... well, at least without a proper iron.

Depending on the solder, a $20. model from Radio Shack is sufficient!
Just make sure you use some flux and tin/braze the wire........... no problem.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well, it's NOT the fuse. I have power through the line filter and on both sides of the fuse. Further reading and googling indicate it MAY be the control panel itself. (push-buttons)

It's time to get rid of this POS Calypso anyway...it never was a good washer...but I never (until yesterday) had any of the problems that would have qualified for the class-action lawsuit. (closed in 2006) :roll:

Off to Lowes, Home Depot, and a couple other places tomorrow to buy a new one.

Anyone interested in a high-tech boat anchor?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Ahhh...the top loading front loader.

Those push buttons should be really easy to replace. IIRC, its just a sticky pad.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: rudeguy
Ahhh...the top loading front loader.

Those push buttons should be really easy to replace. IIRC, its just a sticky pad.

Yep...an easy repair...but the parts are almost $200...not sure it's worth the cost...and I still don't KNOW that's the problem...it's just the latest guess.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Let's see.

I'm going to guess you paid $1000 6 years ago on a machine that's going to last 11 years on average.. So, you're giving up like $400 worth of life so as to not try replacing soldered in components that might be the problem, but you will be gaining the peace of mind of having a warranty on an item is one or two generations better design. I'd say it's a wash. Tie goes to BoomerD. Pull out your charge card.

Consumer Reports - washers

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Squisher
Let's see.

I'm going to guess you paid $1000 6 years ago on a machine that's going to last 11 years on average.. So, you're giving up like $400 worth of life so as to not try replacing soldered in components that might be the problem, but you will be gaining the peace of mind of having a warranty on an item is one or two generations better design. I'd say it's a wash. Tie goes to BoomerD. Pull out your charge card.

Consumer Reports - washers

Yep...and if it wasn't a Calypso...I might consider spending the money on it.

Hands down, the worst washer we've ever owned...and probably the worst one Whirlpool/Kenmore ever sold.