Question Bad SSD vs Bad HDD

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Can SSD go bad (i.e. become completely non-bootable) in much the same way that mechanical HDD, due to some mechanical failure on the HDD or (if I am remembering this correctly) the track zero on the drive going south - yes, I know the SSD is not mechanical like the old HDDs ?

And, if so, are SSDs more or less likely to do this in a shorter period of time than the old HDDs ?

Thanks.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Given they have no moving mechanical parts, SSDs should be theoretically more reliable. Practically, it's a slightly different matter. Both type are just vulnerable to different kinds of failure. Everything can, and will, fail, usually at the most inopportune moment possible.

No drive is going to be completely reliable. Which is why one should always do backups.

The main difference in failures between a HDD and an SSD is that SSDs tend to fail hard and without warning. Leaving you with a dead drive, and no way to get data off. A HDD might just hang on long enough to get your data off. Though one should never count on that. Hence backup.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Yes, the need to backup is exactly where I am going to. Unfortunately, no matter how many times you tell individual computer users (and have seen a few times applying to small business concerns) that they need to backup their data (fortunately, not all that much trouble to re-install an OS), they seem dumb-founded by this fact when their OS goes south and you ask them where their data backups are !!! So, my question was related to when the time comes that their data could not be retrieved from the hard drive unless they are willing to pay several hundred to thousands of dollars to have it retrieved.

Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
On some SSDs (most?), if the SSD goes south, it's a LOT HARDER to recover any data, compared to a HDD. (Some/most SSDs encrypt the data before it's written to the NAND, these days.)

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
I got the dreaded 'No bootable device found' with a Kensington SSD earlier this year. Reseated the cables, tried rebooting. Worked for a while, SMART didn't give any clues as to what was going on. After a few unexpected shutdowns, pulled the data off the drive and retired it.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
they seem dumb-founded by this fact when their OS goes south and you ask them where their data backups are !!! So, my question was related to when the time comes that their data could not be retrieved from the hard drive unless they are willing to pay several hundred to thousands of dollars to have it retrieved.

Not much you can do in that case. Some people just flat out refuse to first listen, then learn from their mistakes. Way of the world unfortunately.

The best workaround is separating the data from the OS. You can partition your way out of that, or add a secondary data drive. Or use a DAS/NAS for data storage. Even cloud storage will do. But it can be impractical if you have a lot of data. All this assumes you're the one doing the setup of course.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I have yet to have a SSD to bad (have owned and used 5 of them over the last 10 years.)

I've also never had a HDD go bad, but i haven't used each HDD that long before trashing them and upgrading. I've had WD Blue, Black, Raptors, Seagates, Hitachi's, etc. They all were very reliable. Still currently using a 10 year old WD blue 7200rpm has a storage/media drive.