Bad Pings. Any settings I can change?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Howdy,

So lately I've been having some crappy internet connectivity. My VOIP phone sounds like I"m under water to people and other things just seem slow to get going.

Speed Tests have always come back fine with ~16 down and ~1 up. That's what my speeds have always been.

When I used pingest.net, my pings were around 200.

I swapped my router and cable modem this evening to see if that would help but it didn't.

• If I plug my laptop directly into the cable modem, I get pings of around 30 and a jitter or 8 or so which is great.
  • If I plug my Asus RT-AC66W into the cable modem and plug my laptop directly into (and reboot everything), I got around 150.
  • I did a factory restore on the router and tried again and got it down to 125 or so with a 25 jitter.
  • If I then switch over to Wifi I get the same 125 ping.

Are there any settings I can change on the router to try to get better pings? Are there any other tests to run to figure out where the problem is?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Make sure any deep packet inspection is disabled (aka layer 7 filtering). Also try disabling QoS (quality of service) all together if it's enabled.

Make sure you're running the latest version of your router software/firmware.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Before replacing the router I'd try factory resetting it and setting up only what you need to test for this problem.

Are you getting weird ping router times from any device on that network?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I factory Reset the router and only setup Wifi. Didn't turn on or off any other settings. QoS is off by default.
Could cabling have anything to do with it? What about other things connected to the router?

I guess I'll try only plugging the laptop into the router and nothing else. Can also try moving the router right next to the cable modem as a test as well.

Anyone have any experience with something like AsusWRT-Merlin or DD-WRT on this router? Maybe I'll try one of those too.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
What results do you get if you PING the router itself?

Yes, bad cables can definitely affect connectivity including PING times. Try a different known good cable between the computer and the router as well as between the router and the modem. If you still get high ping times with the router and good pings with just the computer connected to the modem using good cables, then it has to be a problem with the router even if it is new.