bad performance of Sacred 2, Sacred, Titan Quest...

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
What is it about this style of game that makes them perform so poorly? From medium to highest settings, playing at 1280x1024, the game always does this jumping effects (kind of like rubber banding, but not exactly). I don't understand, and it seems to be with this genre of games specifically.

I'm trying to do some research on how to get the game to play smoothly, but it isn't very fruitful thus far. I can play Guild Wars and first person shooters no problem...

Specs: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus, 8gb RAM, E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 2 x Raptors in RAID 0 for games, single Raptor for boot, 400gb RE2 for storage. Temps are fine, although I might need to check the video card temps.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
At least in Titan Quest, the "rubberbanding" effect that happens now and then appears to be due to the game loading in new sections of the map from disk. As far as I can tell, it's not related to the CPU, RAM, video card, etc.

You only see a loading screen at the very beginning of a session, so the rest of the time I think it's doing a streaming load of the map. If I recall, you can play the entire game in one session -- there are no distinct chapters with loading screens in between.

I remember Morrowind being really obnoxious in that regard. Especially when you were moving quickly and crossing cells several times a minute, you'd constantly have the loading pauses whenever you crossed the threshold between two map cells.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
with Titan Quest, Im pretty sure you have to restart often. as you play it keeps loading levels and I believe it doesn't release them from memory. I think this is a reason for the rubber banding

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
yeah, I haven't seen any rubberbanding in titan quest or the expansion.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
What graphics card? Also you may want to try overclocking your CPU. What you seem to be describing is slowdown lag, which can happen when there's a lot on-screen or when there's a lot of particle effects. Are you using anything like FRAPs to monitor FPS?

There is also a rubber banding issue the others described, but I never saw it when I played through on an E6400 @ 3GHz + 8800GTS. That is more related to storage subsystem and level loading, but with a faster storage system like Raptors in RAID 0 you shouldn't really see problems there. The additonal RAM also helps, but its more noticeable when you zone back to ground you've already covered or the longer you play without closing the game. I typically played through TQ for weeks at a time in the same instance without ever closing the app, just alt-tab once I loaded a spawn with good item drops.

dclapps

Jul 24, 2005
For Titan Quest, whenever I enter/exit caves or new areas, it stutters for a few seconds. e8500, 48701gb, 4gb ram, wd640 black. I'd prefer that it would not do that of course, but I have believed it thus far to be the nature of the beast.

Danny

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I have TQ and the expansion pack, and using the community-made patch 1.16, and everything runs smooth, no strange visual effects or slow performance whatsoever, playing on 1600x1024, 4xMSAA and 16xAF (forced via RivaTuner), with WHQL ForceWare 182.06. What is your graphics card?

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I have TQ and the expansion pack, and using the community-made patch 1.16, and everything runs smooth, no strange visual effects or slow performance whatsoever, playing on 1600x1024, 4xMSAA and 16xAF (forced via RivaTuner), with WHQL ForceWare 182.06. What is your graphics card?

8800 GTS.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Originally posted by: Zenoth

8800 GTS.

It should be performing well. Maybe it's the operating system? Are you playing it on Vista x64? In my case it's installed on my XP SP3 x86 partition. Maybe try it under compatibility mode? Also, is it the retail version or the Steam version?

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Try enabling vsync and triple buffering in TQ video options, and set forceSingleProcessorMode to false in My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\Settings\options.txt

FWIW, I had to exit the game and restart to see a difference after making those changes, but what a difference it was. It looks and plays so much better now. Hopefully you get the same results.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Vampirrella
In titan quest, i dont see any probs at all. Are you patched to 1.30?
Is that 1.30 for both games, or just the expansion, or just the original?
I have 1.10 on Immortal Throne and the game runs just fine for me. It does stutter after I've been playing a LONG time, but by then I'm usually ready for a break anyway.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
On mine i have TQ @ 1.30 and TQ:IT @ 1.10. Sounds like you are fully patched then. I have no idea why you still have studdering cuz mine played flawless on both games for hrs and hrs on end.

You have updated your vid drivers too right? What are your system specs? Sorry, dunno how else to help with the studdering, but since you are fully patched, im thinking at this point something on your system is the cause.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
What is it about this style of game that makes them perform so poorly? From medium to highest settings, playing at 1280x1024, the game always does this jumping effects (kind of like rubber banding, but not exactly). I don't understand, and it seems to be with this genre of games specifically.

I'm trying to do some research on how to get the game to play smoothly, but it isn't very fruitful thus far. I can play Guild Wars and first person shooters no problem...

Specs: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus, 8gb RAM, E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 2 x Raptors in RAID 0 for games, single Raptor for boot, 400gb RE2 for storage. Temps are fine, although I might need to check the video card temps.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Either your eye is way too sensitive to these things, or your system is screwed up somehow. These games are usually some of the best performing games because they tend to have very low system requirements and look good.

As for Sacred 2. It is a poor game, PERIOD. It performs poorly on many systems, if not most, and those who say this is not the case are simply in state of denial because they like the game for some reason, and willing to put up with poor performance.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: ibex333

I have no idea what you are talking about. Either your eye is way too sensitive to these things, or your system is screwed up somehow. These games are usually some of the best performing games because they tend to have very low system requirements and look good.

As for Sacred 2. It is a poor game, PERIOD. It performs poorly on many systems, if not most, and those who say this is not the case are simply in state of denial because they like the game for some reason, and willing to put up with poor performance.

Hmm. That is what people said about the performance of Titan Quest as well. Maybe I need to do some patching or something.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I get a lot of stuttering (freeze, then sudden speed up) in TQ:IT. I don't think it was as bad in just TQ. Both in Single and Multiplayer.

It's definitely caused by hard drive accessing. I have 1.5GB RAM and a 256MB video card. Quitting to the main menu and then going back in seems to help a bit.

At least in this thread, it seems that the people who don't have stuttering problems have 3 GB or more of memory. I don't know why OP is having the same problem with his system.