Bad part of being sysadmin

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Talked to my bro yesterday... he was having a bad day to say the least.

He was holed up in the server room, getting text pages with names of people to kill their accounts because they were no longer going to be with the company. He was getting pages every 15-20 minutes. Over 40 people gone in one day. Couldn't stand to go out and have to look any of them in the eyes. :(

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Yakko:

1) Having to fire 3 people you have played Asheron's Call with for months, and formed somewhat of a special bond with.
2) Feeling like you're on the goddamn Titanic.
3) Afraid that the next page might be your name. (And you have a wife + 2 kids @ home depending on you)
4) Knowing that if you walk out the door into the hallway, it's possible you're going to bump into someone who doesn't know they are being let go yet.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I'll agree with number 2 and 3 but since I used to be a restaurant manager I have had to fire people I hung out with.

EDIT - Mainly number 3.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If locking out the employees accounts is the companies way of telling an employee that their canned, then that is just flat out wrong. As and admin, I wouldn't feel quite as bad as the manager that has to call of these employees in one by one and tell them that they are gone to their face.

As an admin, you are obscurred by the computer. It still sucks though :(

UN1Xnut

Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, this practice is starting to become common in the dot-com world. Even in one larger corporation that I used to work for (that shall remain nameless) did some things very similar to this.

-nut

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
What a stupid way to go about it. At my company the person is informed by management that they are being let go then all their account are deactivated. I will admit that a lot of this is automated so it does not take long to deactivate someone.

On the other hand I guess from a security point of view the way your company is doing it is better.

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000

<< If locking out the employees accounts is the companies way of telling an employee that their canned, then that is just flat out wrong >>

not the nicest thing, but the smartest thing. that was what happened to my uncle...he came in to work one day only to find out his computer acct was disabled. let's say the manager gave a person a one week notice that he's going to be laid-off, then the person gets pissed and messes up his acct and others somehow as a means of retaliation. btw, this story has a happy ending: my uncle got a new job that pays close to $100,000/year as an oracle database programmer.