Bad Games that you liked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Black. It sucked in so many ways but I still played it through.
Mortal Kombat I + II.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Three Sega Games published for Windows 95:

Virtua On
Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter 2

Alot of people don't even know that Sega had converted their best arcade classics on to the PC, and admittedly, the conversions looked horrible, but kept the gameplay intact. I loved them...

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Not on the PC (as far as I remember), but I do enjoy the Armored Core series, even though the last one was rated horribly.

I also liked Dark Messiah, even though most thought it was meh. The game captivated me for a good chunk of time.

A lot of people disliked MGS2, but I didn't mind most of the changes. Yes, even Raiden.

Roller Coaster Tycoon was a favorite of mine for a week or so. :p

Also, I'm a fan of some obscure JRPG every once in a while that most reviewers bash and most of my friends don'tknow about.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The following games are either seriously underrated, received bad reviews, sold poorly, or a combination of thereof:

• Command & Conquer Renegade.
  • Descent 3.
  • Deus Ex Invisible War.
  • Doom 3.
  • Fear Perseus Mandate.
  • Jericho.
  • Red Faction.
  • Soldier of Fortune Payback.
  • Undying.
  • Vampire Bloodlines.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: VashHT
I wouldn't go there, I tried to argue this once but a lot of people feel that reviews and sales numbers are more important factors in determining a good game than your own personal enjoyment of it.

EDIT: This thread is about games considered to be bad games by the community, which I guess would mean reviews and such.

There is such a thing as a BAD game. Just like there is such a thing as a bad movie or c rated movie. There are also people who like watching bad movies like attack of the killer clowns from outer space. Something Awful used to have a section dedicated to reviewing the absolute WORST of the worst games.

However, I don't see many examples of truly bad games in this thread, even mine were grasps at the bad. This is because most really bad games are completely avoided, you might not even know they existed. Unless you like playing deer hunter or something like that.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pia
Black. It sucked in so many ways but I still played it through.
Mortal Kombat I + II.

The original MK and its sequel were no were near bad games, they were praised at their release and are still popular even today but of course mostly on emulators. I mean give me MKII over any recent (10+ years) 3D fighting games any day. They are classics, which means they weren't despised.

Now if you'd have said MK3, that'd be fitting in this thread very well.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: VashHT
I wouldn't go there, I tried to argue this once but a lot of people feel that reviews and sales numbers are more important factors in determining a good game than your own personal enjoyment of it.

EDIT: This thread is about games considered to be bad games by the community, which I guess would mean reviews and such.

There is such a thing as a BAD game. Just like there is such a thing as a bad movie or c rated movie. There are also people who like watching bad movies like attack of the killer clowns from outer space. Something Awful used to have a section dedicated to reviewing the absolute WORST of the worst games.

However, I don't see many examples of truly bad games in this thread, even mine were grasps at the bad. This is because most really bad games are completely avoided, you might not even know they existed. Unless you like playing deer hunter or something like that.

Some bad games mentioned:

Postal 2 was a pretty bad game in terms of gimmick instead of creativity.

Vampire M: Bloodlines was a buggy POS. The game might have been ok, but it was so very buggy that it ruined the experience.

Clayfighter was just a low budget (or at least i hope it was low-budget) smack around that had so little depth that it got old after one session.

SOF Payback was a cookie-cutter shooter with no imaginantion or creativity. A developer looking to make some money off the franchise it seems.

SIN episodes was horrible- it was HL2 re-skinned and dumbed down.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: BFG10K
The following games are either seriously underrated, received bad reviews, sold poorly, or a combination of thereof:

• Doom 3.

I'll give you the rest of them, but Doom 3 had no rating, review, or sales problems.

You've been paying too much attention to the forums.

FWIW, I thought Doom 3 was mediocre, but *I* was the minority in that view.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Dungeon Siege II seemed to get a lot of bad mouthing, but I enjoyed and it really kept me playing.

Earth & Beyond, the short-lived scifi MMO was great. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun and there hasn't been anything like it since.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I really liked Xcom:Apoc although most fans of the original two thought it was blasphemy.

Feb 16, 2005
Myth: The Fallen Lords
and the subsequent follow ups.
I gotta see if I can dig that up somewhere in a bargain bin.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Anybody heard of Urban Assault? I beat it 3 times. It's so great especially with a joystick. Take control of helicopters and jets and tanks and blow everything up. It was like a RTS mixed with simulation and action. And the controls were really simple and easy to use.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ksheets
Smurfs on the colecovision..i was like 8 but hey..it was a colecovision yaknow

lol I had a Colecovision. Smurfs was a horrible game! :p

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm in for enjoying BW2, DX:IW, Doom3, Q4, etc.. some games that people really talked trash on but I didn't mind so much. I'd say I'm pretty forgiving sometimes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I can probably come up with others, but the first that comes to mind is Lionheart.

It's sad how reading bad things can affect our opinion sometimes; I'd play it and say dammit I'm having fun, read posts how horrible it was, and it made it less fun. Weird.

Oh, not considered a 'bad' game, but I'd think underplayed, the Warlords series.

The best puzzle game I ever played by far no one has heard of, called Heaven & Earth.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Dark Messiah as some have already mentioned. It only got average reviews but I really enjoyed it. The combat was brilliant. If I was reviewing it, I would have given it a 9/10

Titan Quest only got above average (but not good) reviews. I still play that game.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny. It was dumbed down compared to Throne of Chaos which killed off most of its hardcore fanbase and since EA bought out Westwood not long after releasing it, the game didn't enjoy a long shelf life either. I guess it didn't get very many bad reviews (it has a 74% on Gamerankings), but it has no lovers aside from me.

You are incorrect sir. I was looking around youtube the other day for clips of it.

The game had some weird things about it, but man I enjoyed it.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Okay, time to open up the folder here..... I have many of the above mentioned games like Septera Core, but instead of reiterrating what others have mentioned...

Gecko. (yes it's a game with a gecko james bondish agent).
Arcanum.
AC2 (flopped but I like quite a bit about it although I didn't like AC1 that much)
Nibbles (I wasted sooo much time in my computer and typing courses during high school playing this absolutely mindless game it's not funny)
Norse by Norsewest.
Toejam and Earl (old skool sega game I couldn't stop playing for some reason back in the day)
Adventurers of Bayou Billy
7th Guest and 11th Hour
Narcs (contra rip off)
Millen's Secret Castle ( I have no idea why I liked this game on my nintendo)
Faxanadu
Astyanix (side scroller RPG.. really!)
Alien Shooter (just kill 10000+ aliens per level is so fun for some reason)
Ogre Battle (snes RPG/RTS/Tactical game similar to FF Tactics which is another off done one I liked)

Crap, there is a ton more I remember liking or even loving and every one I knew that even heard of the games thought I was a masochist for playing them.

Fenriss

Platinum Member
Jun 1, 2001
here's my list:

Diakatana (buggy but after you get past the first stage - metal frogs!!!- it got a lot of fun)
Doom3 and RoE (i grew up w/ the original, got nostalgic playing both.)
Quake4 (same as above, not as scary as the original. but at least it wasn't pointless like Q3)
Gun ( cool western RPG. had fun riding around the place w/ my horse )
Punisher ( total Gem. had a lot of fun interrogating bad guys and then delivering the smackdown.)

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Maybe not "Bad" persay, but...

PEGGLE! god i can get addicted to that game like crazy.

sorry i just had to do it.