bacterial scare with spinach

frankierx

Jun 16, 2003
is it in the ground beef? I am planning on making spaghetti tonight. Please answer back as I have to go out to the supermarket to buy beef in 10 mins.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: frankierx
is it in the ground beef? I am planning on making spaghetti tonight. Please answer back as I have to go out to the supermarket to buy beef in 10 mins.

spinach != cow :confused:

moo

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
yes, ground beef is infused with spinach. popeye would be proud.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Man, I would post that ASCII guy with his head in his hand, but I just used it in one of goku's threads and I only want to use it once a day for a thread that really deserves it. I may edit it out of that thread and put it in this one, though. Jesus Christ.

newnameman

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
??????..,-~*?`¯lllllll`*~,
????..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,
???,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,
??,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
?.;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll
?..\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/???\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,
?...\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*???..`~-~-,?(.(¯`*,`,
??.\llllllllllll,-~*???????)_-\..*`*;..)
??..\,-*`¯,*`)????,-~*`~.????.../
??...|/.../?/~,?...-~*,-~*`;?????./.
??../.../?/?/..,-,..*~,.`*~*?????.*...
??.|.../?/?/.*`...\...????????)?.)¯`~,
??.|./?/?./??.)??,.)`*~-,???.../?.|..)?`~-,
??/./.../?,*`-,?..`-,?*`?.,---?...\?./?../..|??...¯```*~-
?...(???.)`*~-,?.`*`.,-~*.,-*??|?/.?/?/????
??.*-,??.`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*???.|.,*...,*?|?...
???.*,???`-,?)-,????..,-*`...,-*?.(`-,????\

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
There was a recall issued for some ground beef patties.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=53673

The suspect ground beef patties were produced by Jim's Market and Locker Inc., Harlan, Iowa, and have been transported to wholesalers in Georgia, Iowa, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, Texas and Wisconsin.

Authorities say the ground beef may have the same E. coli strain, 0157:H7, as the one found in raw bagged spinach recently. The tainted spinach caused three deaths. So far, nobody who has eaten the ground beef has been reported as sick.

Authorities say that anyone who bought these ground beef products should return them immediately to where they were bought.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Just cook your food and you will be alright. But, yes, it's the same type of bacteria. Actually, Ecoli O157:H7 is generally a bigger risk in ground beef than in a vegetable like spinach. The problem with a vegetable like spinach is that it's often not cooked where beef normally would be cooked.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
In a semi-update, the beef recall was because it might have been contaminated, and none has been found so far (Oct. 9).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=53701

5,200 pounds of ground beef had to be recalled after federal inspectors had questioned the testing methods used at a slaughterhouse in Nebraska. However, Jim Goeser, owner of Jim's Market and Locker Inc. of Harlan, Iowa, says the meat is safe and that no samples have come back positive for E. coli. There have been no reports of people getting ill after eating the ground beef.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
E coli is relatively common in ground beef (compared to most other products, especially spinach ;) )

BUT, you cook the beef. Assuming you cook the beef thoroughly, there should be no problem.