bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Requesting an opinion. I have used Acronis, Macrium and Ghost (in a business environment) over the years I have used computers for a couple decades. I am currently using the free version of Macrium and am more than happy with its performance, but since I am using the free version, I cannot encrypt the backups. I was writing this post to ask those who do know and have the paid version of Macrium if the encryption, set to the highest setting, how much longer the backup takes - I understand that the time is going to be based on the size of the backup, so could you just give me a % estimate of your backup with no encryption and the highest setting of encryption?

The size of the backup - I know storage is very cheap now, but I would like to know, if somebody has both, how much of a % either Acronis or Macrium is more efficient using the highest compression settings. I am not too worried about time because the backups take place when I am sleeping, so speed is the least of my worries unless we are talking 1hr for say a 100GB backup vs 4hrs.

FWIW, there are no 'State Secrets' I am trying to protect, just that if somebody got access to an offsite backup (secured, but things can happen), they just couldn't d/l the free version of Macrium and be able see all of my personal data - again, nothing incriminating, just stuff that is normal 'personal in nature' type of data that would make identity theft much easier than it already is.

Also, FWIW, I have had failures with both Ghost and Acronis, but this was over a decade ago so I am not really worried about that now, but for as long as I have used Macrium it has been 100% error free the times I have needed it for a restore, which just saved my a$$ a couple of weeks ago.

Last, while I currently have Acronis installed on my machine along w/ Macrium, I just needed to look at some old backups I did with Acronis and did not bother to take advantage of the trial period. Anybody know if that trial period is tied to an IP address or an individual computer because if it is an individual computer, I could put Acronis on my wife's laptop and take it for a full trial, assuming in fact that a full trial does offer encryption.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your input,
Bob

PS - If their is another way to encrypt the backups while using the free version of Macrium, I would be welcome to hear that info also.

PS2 - I am running with a migraine today, so I would put up a poll but I cannot see the option...:(

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I recommend installing the Macrium 30 day trial and testing the encryption speed. You can always switch back to the free edition.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've been using older versions ('12-'14) of Acronis across 4 different computers... and it works great. I updated my primary computer to Windows 10Pro, and I had a copy of Acronis '15 laying around, so I updated to that, too. What a train wreck. They definitely polished the GUI up, but it doesn't work well. It constantly fails on one drive, and generates copies every 3-4 hours on another drive (...and, yes, my settings are correct, because I've checked for about the 100th time.) I'm ready to reinstall the 2014 version, again... and be done with it.

I use Acronis to generate full backups every night, on each PC, across 1 to 4 drives.

It's possible the new-new 2020 version of Acronis works better than my stale copy from 2015, but I'm reluctant to spend any amount of money on a new copy... 'new and improved' in advertising doesn't necessarily mean it's so.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Used to swear by Acronis and, to be fair, it's saved my scrawny arse numerous times. However, I've more recently been partial to Macrium for overall performance and features--even if the UI isn't as simplified as Acronis is now.

So, I guess Acronis True Image for ease of use, and Macrium Reflect for performance and functionality.

Can't really go wrong with either though.

Reactions: corkyg

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Based on this thread, I went ahead and downloaded the free trial of Macrum. It seems pretty solid to me... far more productive than my copy of A'15 is. It's GUI reminds me of the older versions of Acronis I still use... which, if you axe me, is a plus.

Reactions: 13Gigatons