backup photographer

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
hi, i'm sure some of you have been a backup for another photog... especially maybe earlier on in your "career".

my question is, were you expected to post-process at the backup guy?
or is it normal to hand the main shooter the raw files and they do any post processing?

i'm think one way to expand my experience is to be the backup guy but i'm not sure if i'm expected to do touch up or let the main photographer handle that.

TIA on any insight you guys can give me :)

nboy22

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2002
I've never been a backup photographer or anything, but logic tells me that only one photographer will be processing the photos.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I've never been a backup photographer or anything, but logic tells me that only one photographer will be processing the photos.

I've only run backup once and the main photog did all the post work

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
When I have backed up another photographer, we did the processing together. It wasn't a high level of processing so that makes a difference. More then anything, it gave me a chance to see the perspective from another shooter and to learn what they consider important and why. But I was also backing up as a favor due to all the shots that were needed. If they told me to process all of my shots to a high degree...........i probably would look for something, for the extra work.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
thanks for all the inputs... looks like the most common scenario is "no"... which is what i was looking for. Lalakai, i'm glad you were able to get that experience and see some photos through the other shooters perpsective.