Backup and syncing software advice needed.

boing

Sep 13, 2001
I work mostly on a desktop but occasionally on a laptop too, at the minute i'm transferring files between the two via memory sticks which gets a bit tedious. I need an external backup for my work anyway and figured I could solve two problems at once.

I'm thinking of an external backup drive connected to my desktop and laptop which is synced to my work folder on the desktop. That way any time I need to work on the laptop all my work files are available and up to date, if I alter one on the laptop I can save back to the backup drive and it will sync back to the work folder on the desktop meaning it too will be up to date and no transferring of files is needed.

Problem is I have no real knowledge of storage or syncing software so I'm looking for a few suggestions on both please.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For gnu/linux, I use luckybackup at work which syncs from the server(One way. Server is canonical) to my workstation, then use mega(no sensitive data) to sync from my workstation to the mega cloud for use on the road.

When I was on windows, I used freefilesync to sync from the server to the workstation.

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, sorry I should have said, Windows 10. Couple of terrabytes capacity will do.

Does freefilessync work both ways?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah, sorry I should have said, Windows 10. Couple of terrabytes capacity will do.

Does freefilessync work both ways?
Yea, it should, but I haven't used it in a couple years, so my memory is foggy.