Backing up a Synology Diskstation NAS

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Not sure if this is the right forum, but this isn't really a networking question per se.

I've set up my computer and my wife's computer to back up locally using ShadowProtect to external hard drives. We use the Synology Disk Station for shared files, such as photos and music. Since I've had two (!) NAS's fail on me before purchasing the Disk Station, I'm a little concerned about the safety of the files on the Disk Station. I've done a simple copy of the drive to the external backup drive attached to my machine, but there's nothing guaranteeing that new files will be backed up, and if I have to back the Disk Station up manually, there's no way it'll get done on a regular basis.

So is there any simple, automated way to make a backup of the Disk Station to my local external drive? Shadow Protect won't do it, it only permits local drives to be marked for backup, even if I've mapped volumes on the Disk Station to drive letters.

- Gus

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I believe that Synctoy supports SMB/CIFS shares.

EDIT: Also, I would look into setting up your NAS's drives with some sort of redundancy (RAID1 or RAID5).

Last edited:

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Thanks for the link. That looks rather like Karen's Replicator, but maybe it performs better.