backed up toilets

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Besides calling in a plumber or plunging till you're blue in the face, what can be done about constantly backed up toilets ? Is there any kind of home remedy ?

I also noticed my sink next to it is also MUCH slower in draining now... but we connect right out to a sewer... can't be related, can it ? Prob just hair in the drain... but strange these are happening almost simultaneously...

Our tub is ALWAYS stuffed because we shed a lot. ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: xXped0thugXx
Draino? ::shrug::

pouring toxic chemicals into a pipe that might not get cleared isn't recommeded. draino is best for slow pipes, not clogged.

here is an idea: when you poop, flush between finishing the poop and wiping.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Actually we had this issue at my house... we ended up having to get a new toilet and a water softener. Before we got the softener, we'd have calcium build-up in our pipes, which would cause the backups.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
For slow drains a easy fix is to pour baking soda down them then pour in some lemon juice. Eats away at all the gunk but will not damage your pipes like some harsh chemicals.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
For slow drains a easy fix is to pour baking soda down them then pour in some lemon juice. Eats away at all the gunk but will not damage your pipes like some harsh chemicals.
I don't want to sound retarded (keyword being "want") but what kind of "lemon juice" are we talking about here ?

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Interesting thread rh71 because I am having the same problem with a toilet in the house I just bought. How much do those augers run?? Anybody know?

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
The toilet plunger method won't work on a toilet that is completely clogged. But NEVER try unclogging a toilet using chemical drain cleaners -- this could cause an explosion. The problem may be a blockage in the drain pipe beneath the toilet.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
You can try one of those short snakes that you can get at a hardware store, they'll clear a clog if it's in the toilet itself. Otherwise, you can rent a rooter at a plumbing supply tool, drain and pull your toilet and root the drain line. Or you could just call a rotorooter guy.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: werk
You can try one of those short snakes that you can get at a hardware store, they'll clear a clog if it's in the toilet itself. Otherwise, you can rent a rooter at a plumbing supply tool, drain and pull your toilet and root the drain line. Or you could just call a rotorooter guy.

werk, any idea on what all of this will cost?

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Interesting thread rh71 because I am having the same problem with a toilet in the house I just bought. How much do those augers run?? Anybody know?

auger that's the name!! I'm pretty sure you can rent a high grade 50 footer. But the economy 10' go for $30 I believe.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Originally posted by: werk

werk, any idea on what all of this will cost?
A short hand auger/toilet snake will probably run you $20-50. I'm not sure about the other costs as when we had a clog in our drain line, the super took care of the big roto-rooter rental (it was a big ridgid model).

marleymarl

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
I don't want to sound retarded (keyword being "want") but what kind of "lemon juice" are we talking about here ?

Too bad, you sound retarded! Lemon juice, you know, the kind you buy in the supermarket!

:confused:

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: rh71
You can go to the grocery store and buy bottles of lemon concentrate.

The other thing you can do is put a cup of baking soda in the drain and pour a large pot of boiling water in the drain. The boiling water converts the baking soda (NaHCO3) in to lye(NaOH) and Carbon Dioxide(CO2). The lye will eat away at the gunk in your pipes without damaging them. Or you could go to the store and buy draino. It also has NaOH in it, but is much more concentrated. It also will not damage your pipes.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Thx for the info... I do already have drano for my sink and tub... the primary concern was the toilet... I may have to snake something in there... this isn't gonna be pretty...