Back when Beetles first came on the scene, were there music elitists who hated them?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
I honestly think their one of the most overrated bands ever. (though I'm FAR from old enough to know the craze they first created).

They were.. but they are beaten in that category by Hendrix and Crapton

You obviously have no appreciation for great guitar playing

Actually I do which is why I hate Crapton. Crapton's best work was with Derek and the Dominoes. After that he lost his soul it seemed. His songwriting was always pretty poor also except for a couple here and there.

Hendrix more innovator than great guitarist- he was a good guitarist. He was a horrible songwriter though except for a few. His best stuff was on Axis

edit and don't give me any BS about Hendrix being voted every year as best guitarist in the world by guitar player magazine or rolling stone or whatever sell out magazine that has that pathetic thing.

Hendrix a horrible songwriter? :roll:

Beatles may of been the boy band of their day, but never would I even think to compare their musical talents to any of the boy bands today. Their songwriting was top notch...consistent hits one after another. I would be hard pressed to find a professional musician today that isn't in some shape or form influenced by The Beatles.

OP: Led Zeppelin used to talk shit on The Beatles all the time.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
T.Pain thats the Beatles of today's generation. That guy is a hit making machine. I'm in love w/ a stripper!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
I honestly think their one of the most overrated bands ever. (though I'm FAR from old enough to know the craze they first created).

You'll come around. Everyone does.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Topic Title: Back when Beetles first came on the scene, were there music elitists who hated them?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2008 12:27 AM

Did you mean the Beatles? ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Anyone else think this noob was talking about a certain VW model?

umm...no...he specifically mentioned music...how do you think this was a car?

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Anyone else think this noob was talking about a certain VW model?

umm...no...he specifically mentioned music...how do you think this was a car?

Seeing as his post title names a car before mentioning "music," it's pretty obvious, O great king of negativity.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Mahaguru
Other than the super conservative and religious folks who didn't like them, were there music elitists who picked out every fault with them, and declared them to be the final nail in the coffin for good music?

I am not talking about disliking their music because one doesn't find their music interesting, I am talking about music elitists who don't like any new musician.

Yes, they were called parents back then. ;)

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Injury

truth. that was my hasty opinion upon first listening up the beatle. the beatles are best understood *in context*, not on the basis of their music per se. a LOT of music would be different if beatles hadnt ever come around...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, when I was 18 and I first heard the White Album, I said "Meh. THIS is the album I've heard so much about?"
Then, at 25, I "got it." I mean, I still think you could cut it down to a single album, but there IS a full album of awesome songs there.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Yeah, when I was 18 and I first heard the White Album, I said "Meh. THIS is the album I've heard so much about?"
Then, at 25, I "got it." I mean, I still think you could cut it down to a single album, but there IS a full album of awesome songs there.

Lol, I know what you mean. I originally thought the White Album was greatest hits album. :laugh:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Are you kidding? Everyone over 30 HATED the Beatles. They were so anti-50's society that they were banned from many radio stations and venues. Elvis was the same way. Fortunately they softened people up so we could get all of the great music from the 60's.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I love how people have opinions like this when they weren't around at the time to know what things were like. These people INVENTED a lot of the music we listen to today. (Well, not so much today, but from the last 20 years. Today's music was invented by the Yamaha drum machine and tape loop inventors.) You kiddies don't seen to realize how these people contributed to music history.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

You obviously have no appreciation for great guitar playing

Actually I do which is why I hate Crapton. Crapton's best work was with Derek and the Dominoes. After that he lost his soul it seemed. His songwriting was always pretty poor also except for a couple here and there.

Hendrix more innovator than great guitarist- he was a good guitarist. He was a horrible songwriter though except for a few. His best stuff was on Axis

edit and don't give me any BS about Hendrix being voted every year as best guitarist in the world by guitar player magazine or rolling stone or whatever sell out magazine that has that pathetic thing.

And Layla was a damn fine album wasn't it?

Actually that whole Layla riff was from Duane Allman, to be fair.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Beatles? LOVE them to this day :thumbsup: They've been an inspiration to me almost my entire life....I doubt I go a week without listening to at least a couple of their tunes.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I love how people have opinions like this when they weren't around at the time to know what things were like. These people INVENTED a lot of the music we listen to today. (Well, not so much today, but from the last 20 years. Today's music was invented by ProTools) You kiddies don't seen to realize how these people contributed to music history.

Fixed ;)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
one of the only 2 Beatles songs I liked was Twist & Shout, which was a remake of an Isley Brothers song

Isley's > Beatles

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I actually prefer Derek Little Wing to the original. I think that is the only cover I can say that about. It was by far EC's best guitar work also.

I agree but I think a lot of the guitars that I used to think were Clapton were actually Duane Allman.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
The Beatles weren't a boy band. Not even remotely close. Besides the fact they had unlimited talent, how many boy bands play their own instruments (all of them) and write all of their own songs? None. How many boy bands got better after taking copious amounts of drugs? No question The Beatles benefited a lot from timing, but they were, and always will be, one of the greatest bands of all-time.

It was only a matter of time before things like this happened, though...comparing The Beatles to NKOTB. I mean, I'm still in shock, but hey, what can you do.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Poulsonator
The Beatles weren't a boy band. Not even remotely close.

During the early phase the beatles were 100% boy band. the musicality is 100% simplistic. the lyrics are simply lovey dovey stuff.

later on of course they transformed into something else altogether.. but a big part of their music is just plain pop

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
According to Wiki:

"A boy band is a type of pop group featuring several young male singers. Although boy bands usually consist of five members, there has been exceptions such as Super Junior, which has thirteen members. The members are generally expected to perform as dancers as well, often executing highly choreographed sequences to their own music. Although there are no distinct traits of boy bands, one could label a band a "boy band" for following mainstream music trends, changing their appearances to adapt to new fashion trends, having elaborate dancers, and performing elaborate shows. They can evolve out of church choral or Gospel music groups, but are often put together by talent managers or record producers who audition the groups for appearance, dancing, rapping skills, and singing ability, and often seem to be prefabricated."

I'm still trying to remember the dancing moves The Beatles were famous for. Oh wait, they were too busy writing incredible songs, playing their own instruments, learning how to play new instruments, and figuring out everything they could about music to worry about dancing and fabrication. As I said, they benefited from timing, and the girls sure did love them, but The Beatles always put their music first.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
Also, if you think their early "musicality was 100% simplistic", please, show me a video of you accurately replicating their sounds and harmonies. I'd love to see it.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
i always thought their early music kind of sucked. not that it wasn't well done, just not really my cup of tea. So i would imagine the answer is yes.

But why is it that hating something that is popular makes you an elitist? i thought you actually had to hate the people that like it in order to be an elitist.