Back to work! Retired people re-enter the workplace.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I lost any chance of caring when it said they owe $425K on their $650K house.

Edit: In Iowa to boot. Atleast if it was a 650K house in San Fran I'd say it was prolly a small modest house.. but in Iowa what do they have the 3rd biggest house in the state?

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

Edit: In Iowa to boot. Atleast if it was a 650K house in San Fran I'd say it was prolly a small modest house.. but in Iowa what do they have the 3rd biggest house in the state?

Denise Edwards, 62, now expects to work for at least another decade selling condominiums because of the damage to her and her husband John's retirement savings.

"We just have to work for as long as possible. And we're going to have to count on our (two) daughters," said Edwards, who lives in a Virginia suburb of Washington.

Housing near DC is very expensive.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Retirement is a historical anomaly. Given that people are now living into their 80s and beyond, it's just not feasible for massive portions of the population to not contribute anything to the GDP.

I guess in your America we should all just work til we die. Unless you are the super rich?

most super rich people work until they die and often beyond

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Xavier434
It is so easy to say that while you are sitting on the other side of the fence isn't it? How is your investment plans going? I am sure you are making great use of that money you are making by investing it in stocks. How are your child support payments coming along? Caught up yet? You really are one to talk about working and responsibility....

Nope, no stocks for me.

And thanks for supporting my argument by bringing up child support. I was out of work for a while but that didn't stop the support bill from coming every month. Why didn't the government pay it for me that whole time? Gee, maybe because life isn't fair and everyone needs to stop their fucking whining and take care of themselves?

You have previous posts which state you were out of work for a year (god knows why it took that long) and you were threatened to be put in jail because you couldn't afford the payments. You are refuting these posts?

I'm not refuting them at all. I'm saying they strengthen my argument. English motherfucker, do you speak it?

I said life is tough and people need to deal with it. That's what I do. Nobody bailed me out of my situation. Nobody gave me welfare. Or social security. Or anything else. I work for what I have, everyone else needs to do the same.

We are getting off topic anyways. Why do you believe that just because life not being fair is a fact that we should not strive to make it as painless as possible and just accept it instead?

Haha, no wonder you're a Democrat. You believe we can spend our way to painless lives.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

Denise Edwards, 62, now expects to work for at least another decade selling condominiums because of the damage to her and her husband John's retirement savings.

"We just have to work for as long as possible. And we're going to have to count on our (two) daughters," said Edwards, who lives in a Virginia suburb of Washington.

Housing near DC is very expensive.

Yes, and their house is probably now worth $300K and falling. :) In the DC area, that kind of money gets you a modest house, sorry to say.

-Robert

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
When you ride a bubble, you gotta know how to jump off, WITH your golden parachute. If your driving the bubble, you get to make your own rules. Heh heh.

Most of the returns I have seen on my retirement accounts make me smile, but at the same time, I know that they are unrealistic. I don't jump now, I will lose 1/2. I cash out now, the government gets 1/2. I roll everthing into traditional cd based safe ira, inflation will get 1/2. What is a guy supposed to do?

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
I think this might prove to be correct, but I wonder, what kinds of jobs will be available for these elderly people and how will they be able to find jobs that are not physically demanding while facing age discrimination? It's hard enough for people in their fifties to find white collar jobs as it is.

There is a push to bring older people in as consultants due to their experience. I expect my generation will work later in life. Our standard of living is much better than the 70 year olds today had at a similar time in their life.

Bringing the elderly in as consultants is a touchy-feely, warm-and-fuzzy notion, but I'm skeptical that a significant percentage of the elderly who want to work or who need to work will be hired in that capacity. Perhaps some older former executives could find work doing that, but it's not going to help the 95% of the populace who don't fall into that category.