Back from Road Trip!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: ironwing
To enjoy the canyon you have to get off the rim. Hiking down a trail even 100-200 ft (vertically) changes everything. Did you see the condors? In summer they hang out at the top of the Kaibab trail.

Consider the Ash Fork->Prescott->Wickenburg->Phoenix route or the
Flagstaff->Sedona->Prescott->Wickenburg->Phoenix route as opposed to straight down I-17.

Also, the route through Payson is scenic.

For your stomach troubles consider eating live yogurt or picking up some acidophyllis pills to restore your gut bugs.

I did the bolded and holy hell.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I think that on these trips, the people that I meet are just as important as the sights and photos I get to take.
:thumbsup:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
To enjoy the canyon you have to get off the rim. Hiking down a trail even 100-200 ft (vertically) changes everything. Did you see the condors? In summer they hang out at the top of the Kaibab trail.

Flagstaff->Sedona->Prescott->Wickenburg->Phoenix route as opposed to straight down I-17.

For your stomach troubles consider eating live yogurt or picking up some acidophyllis pills to restore your gut bugs.

Oh, I forget to mention: coming into Phoenix from Wickenburg, don't take US 60 all the way in, use one of the loop roads to I-10. US 60 has traffic lights every quarter mile for a whole lot of quarter miles.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
FBB, remember, ANY landing you can walk away from is a good one...the wild ones just make good stories...:)

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006

Oh, I forget to mention: coming into Phoenix from Wickenburg, don't take US 60 all the way in, use one of the loop roads to I-10. US 60 has traffic lights every quarter mile for a whole lot of quarter miles.

Yup yup. My GPS was smart enough to figure it out. US 60 is crazy. So flat... I couldn't figure out where I was because it felt like I was living on a flat world. I couldn't see over anything.

Originally posted by: JS80
...and two stuffed animals...

Dude, SRSLY?

They're named Mousey and Bunny. They keep me company on these solo road trips. On hikes I like to take Mousey and strap him to the outside of my bag so he can see what's going on. Bunny's too big to bring along :(

Originally posted by: BoomerD
FBB, remember, ANY landing you can walk away from is a good one...the wild ones just make good stories...:)

Agreed! I was actually kinda hoping that we'd have a crazier landing... like in those youtube videos of the planes fishtailing and stuff when they hit the runway.

Originally posted by: AlienCraft
I wonder what sort of transgression lying about chi is?

:thumbsup: on the trip.

Wha? Lying about chi?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Wha? Lying about chi?
Before I left I was going out to the car for literally half a minute to put something in the trunk. Because it was so short, I didn't bother putting on my jacket. My dad stopped me at the door and ordered me to put on my jacket because it was cold. I said I was only going out for half a minute and he started screaming at me about this chi crap. Before I left on the trip he gave me a very stern lecture about this chi, and how there are so many studies that have proven this stuff. Yeah, right. Oh, I'm 60 and wracked with pains. I know! It was because cold air blew over me when I was young! Of course!

Basically from now on I'm only going to tell my parents warm happy things about my trip, even if it means I have to lie to them. I

:Q

<--- tsk, tsk ing lol

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Life and time is so bittersweet.

This is so true.

It's one of the things in life that eats me up if I let myself think about it to much.

All things you look forward to will soon be a fading memory.

Kind of saddens me at times :(

But makes me truly understand how important it is to live in the present.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: lokiju
Life and time is so bittersweet.

This is so true.

It's one of the things in life that eats me up if I let myself think about it to much.

All things you look forward to will soon be a fading memory.

Kind of saddens me at times :(

But makes me truly understand how important it is to live in the present.

Aye, but as I'm about to go off into the working world I feel like I will face a dilemma. I like exploring. I like seeing new things, going to new places, trying new food. But if I get a job that is pretty much anything BUT being a travel photographer/writer/whatever, I won't get to do these things as often as I like. Life is so, so short. My dad is 60 now and that is all that he can really think about. He's absolutely blown away by the fact that he's already 60. Hell, I'm blown away by the fact that I'm 22. Our lives must be used wisely, and to me this doesn't mean doing a 9-5, 5 days a week, with a measly 2-4 week vacation every year. And yet we have to work to make enough money for the future, whether it is for children, retirement, or astronomical health care when we're older. I'm sure you can live entirely on the road and do odd jobs here and there just to sustain yourself, but it's all going to catch up to you as you get older. But then if you do work when you're young, well, your youth will be gone before you know it.

I feel this way even now. I personally like acting like the cute and innocent traveler. People are disarmed by my personality. They let me in. But as I get older this won't be the case. Case in point: When I'm photographing restaurants, the restaurateurs, seeing that I'm young and fascinated by the place, sometimes even let me back into their kitchens. Airplane pilots let me photograph the cockpit or even sit in the pilot's seat. Can you imagine a 30+ year old being able to do these things? Nope. It seems like it would be a less fulfilling existence traveling at that age, and this saddens me. A 30+ year old with a camera causes people to coil up. This guy means business. A 20-some year old with a camera? He's just having fun or taking pictures for the school newspaper. I myself personally don't go up and talk to older photographers, because they always seem so serious, and I don't want to bother them or attempt to shoot the breeze.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Too much to read through we need cliffs or at least answer the big question, did you get laid on your trip?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Too much to read through we need cliffs or at least answer the big question, did you get laid on your trip?

nope nope