Back for the fall season

Khyron320

Aug 26, 2002
www.khyrolabs.com
I crunch seasonally for TA. It looks like allot has changed since i was last crunching FAH units. It seems to me its really not worth crunching FAH unless you have an ATI video card or as PS3? or am i misinterpreting this?

So when i fired up all my PCs for the fall/winter i started with Climateprediction. After the current WUs are done im jumping to another project. Rossetta@home looks like its the same project as FAH.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Khyron320
I crunch seasonally for TA. It looks like allot has changed since i was last crunching FAH units. It seems to me its really not worth crunching FAH unless you have an ATI video card or as PS3? or am i misinterpreting this?

Welcome back, Khyron320 :D

Whatever you crunch, the TeAm will be happy to have you.

Yes F@H has changed alot.

But the same old regular client WUs are still doing most of the science projects for Stanford.

The PS3 and GPU clients get results on their projects fast, but they are limited in the type of WUs they can process.

The SMP client (which can use up to four cores to process one WU) can do a few more types of WU and so gets best PPD. If you have a newer dual or quad core computer the SMP seems to be the way to go for high PPD.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
As GleeM said the PS3 and the GPU client can only do one type of simulation each, while the good old CPU client is used for the majority of simulations.

The SMP client, which runs on multi-core CPUs is also a high speed client, which means that it has very short deadlines, that way the whole process (folding-->paper) is much faster. SMP is very flexible (in terms of simulations) and will eventually replace the regular CPU client.

Don't be fooled by the Tflop/Pflop performance graphs, the CPU client will never be replaced and is still crucial.

Rosetta@Home is a similar project, but instead of simulating what nature does, rosetta bases their folding method on what they learn from nature, ie they create new proteins and fold proteins "blind" to fight diseases, while FAH folds proteins according to nature and study misfolds and how to prevent them.

Another worthy project (in my opinion) is WorldCommunityGrid, by IBM (runs on boinc too).
This project runs currently 4 projects:
Human Proteome Project (based on rosetta, analyses proteins of the human proteome and tries to find the cause and solution to various diseases by this analysis)
FightAids@Home (tries to find molecules that block the hiv protease)
Discovering Dengue Drugs ? Together (tries to find possible cures for dengue fever and related diseases)
Africanclimate@Home (studies the african climate in more detail than climateprediction, it is the most detailed study on african climate ever made)

A cancer project will follow soon. You can opt out of one or more project in your account.

Khyron320

Aug 26, 2002
www.khyrolabs.com
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Welcome back :) ,& F@H is still good for ya rig ;)

What rig have you got btw?

Many

http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac...user.php?userid=477840

Gleem wow buddy didnt you start FAH after i did? and weren't you and i right next to each other in rank for weeks? Now your #4 on the team? Or maybe thats some1 else im thinking of.

Im so frustrated right now with FAH after i posted that i decided to try the SMP client on my quad core and i couldn't get it to run. I dont know who to blame Microsoft or the FAH team for making it too difficult to setup. Its having some kind of issue with permissions. Vista is suppose to be easy to use with no frustration. So i just started another climate prediction client The box will be locked up for the next 12 days on that project.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Khyron320
Gleem wow buddy didnt you start FAH after i did? and weren't you and i right next to each other in rank for weeks? Now your #4 on the team? Or maybe thats some1 else im thinking of.

I started in April 2004. I don't remember if we were next to each other.

It seems like I go really slow, but I guess slow and steady wins the race!