Baby boomers are what's wrong with America's economy

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I never claimed to have one. You could however get a second job to support me in my retirement, That would be nice.

LOL.

A second job wouldnt matter. I pay the max. Maybe you should want to raise ss taxes if you want me to pay more ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Or we can raise taxes at the top & take in more working age immigrants.

I think we're going to have to have a massive shift in our economic system. Automation is chipping away at our current one and we're going to need to transition to far fewer work hours and/or far fewer jobs with a basic income. It's going to be weird and I'm not sure if we can do it. There's no point in punishing the Boomers for any perceived slights. As a generation, sure they made bad decisions, but we'll probably do it too and it's not like they did it out of malice. Humans are notoriously bad at rationing and preparing for the future and I can't really blame them. The only thing I'd ask is that they start voting better, but that won't happen either.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think we're going to have to have a massive shift in our economic system. Automation is chipping away at our current one and we're going to need to transition to far fewer work hours and/or far fewer jobs with a basic income. It's going to be weird and I'm not sure if we can do it. There's no point in punishing the Boomers for any perceived slights. As a generation, sure they made bad decisions, but we'll probably do it too and it's not like they did it out of malice. Humans are notoriously bad at rationing and preparing for the future and I can't really blame them. The only thing I'd ask is that they start voting better, but that won't happen either.

Back in the day automation was supposed to bring the American worker a better life via less hours worked and easier work. Instead corporations simply paid workers less and we ended up working longer hours. Some how corporations started getting all the perks with none of the sacrifices. Now we have a political party and a huge base of supporters who champion and defend the raw deal. I have no idea why.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Back in the day automation was supposed to bring the American worker a better life via less hours worked and easier work. Instead corporations simply paid workers less and we ended up working longer hours. Some how corporations started getting all the perks with none of the sacrifices. Now we have a political party and a huge base of supporters who champion and defend the raw deal. I have no idea why.

A lot of those people think that they will join the fuck you got mine class.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
What's wrong with US economy is the "trickle down" idiocy that has been ongoing for 30 years and hasn't worked yet.... But this time... yeah, this time...

Both parties love the idea but one throws some scraps to the people and give the benefits to the rich oligarchs that pay for their campaigns.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What's wrong with US economy is the "trickle down" idiocy that has been ongoing for 30 years and hasn't worked yet.... But this time... yeah, this time...

Both parties love the idea but one throws some scraps to the people and give the benefits to the rich oligarchs that pay for their campaigns.

If Democrats love the idea they sure have a weird way of showing it considering how much taxes on the rich went up under Obama.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Baby boomers are a self solving problem, fortunately. Of course, they will pillage the country to the hilt on the way out, like they have done all their life.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
If Democrats love the idea they sure have a weird way of showing it considering how much taxes on the rich went up under Obama.

Who cares about taxes when there are so many loopholes that you won't be paying a tenth of them anyway?

Find a politician that will shut that completely down, no exemptions what so ever and then lower it so that the megacorps has to pay actual rates that the small business already has to pay and you have yourself a fair tax system.

The system you have today is one where the rate is one of the highest in the world but where megacorps just pay a fraction of the actual rate which is great for creating monopolies which is exactly what the people supporting the dems and repubs want.

I wouldn't mind having a 100% tax rate if I never had to pay more than 10% either. Would you?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Who cares about taxes when there are so many loopholes that you won't be paying a tenth of them anyway?

Find a politician that will shut that completely down, no exemptions what so ever and then lower it so that the megacorps has to pay actual rates that the small business already has to pay and you have yourself a fair tax system.

The system you have today is one where the rate is one of the highest in the world but where megacorps just pay a fraction of the actual rate which is great for creating monopolies which is exactly what the people supporting the dems and repubs want.

I wouldn't mind having a 100% tax rate if I never had to pay more than 10% either. Would you?

Being able to write off biz purchases keeps the economy moving. Trust me.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Being able to write off biz purchases keeps the economy moving. Trust me.

Sure it does, billions for the big ones and thousands for you.

What if your taxes were lowered to save the same amount but kept so that the megacorps had to pay the same rate? Thousands in savings for you and billions to pay for them.

It's a system that only benefits the largest operators, it's a monopoly maker.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

"They're just as bad!" is so tedious. Dems raised taxes at the top significantly the last time they had the chance. And, uhh, what do you think this Repub drive to repeal the ACA is all about other than to cut them?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I’m talking about the tax rate they actually paid, which went up considerably under Obama. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Imagine if they gave a class war and the one side that ever engaged in it got to make the other side believe if they responded in kind they would be evil.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Imagine if they gave a class war and the one side that ever engaged in it got to make the other side believe if they responded in kind they would be evil.

Isn't that what you essentially tell people in every post? That pointing out peoples flaws/mistakes makes you a bad person?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
How deeply would you resent it if the cap were removed?

If you start taxing people on gross receipts people will pull back on some capital investments. Like I don't NEED to buy any more modular synth stuff but its a write off so fuck it why not. If it wasnt a write off I wouldnt buy random modules.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If you start taxing people on gross receipts people will pull back on some capital investments. Like I don't NEED to buy any more modular synth stuff but its a write off so fuck it why not. If it wasnt a write off I wouldnt buy random modules.

You didn't answer the question. You know SS taxes only apply to personal earnings.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Isn't that what you essentially tell people in every post? That pointing out peoples flaws/mistakes makes you a bad person?

Pretty much what I was thinking. Moonbeam sometimes seems like two different people posting under the same forum ID. I think I agree with this one a bit more than the other one.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Or we can raise taxes at the top & take in more working age immigrants.

Not to go off topic but this subject reminds me of the Piraha indians of Brazil. A missionary named Daniel Everrett lost his religion trying to convert them. Here are labels that apply to them.

1. Absolutely egoless, you cannot get them to compete against each other
2. The happiest people on earth
3. Polyamourous, you fuck who you want
4. Hunter/gatherer communists
6. Do not fear death or the future
7.Hunt/gather/work only 15 hours a week
8. Have no concept of guilt or of God.
9. Eat a much healthier diet than just about anybody in the world and live much healthier lives
10. Old people are cared for by the younger
11. Children in general are raised by the tribe as a whole
12. The ultimate empiricists, they laugh when asked to believe in a God that nobody has seen
13. Suicide is nonexistant with them and they laugh when presented with stories about Americans who have killed themselves.

What have do we as a Americans have over this people? We run about wiping out thousands of other animal species, we set up our societies to compete viciously against each other, we use scientific knowledge to unleash uinspeakable weapons on each other, we live miserable lives of guilt and fear, we work long hours and worry incessantly about our possessions, etc...

So in summation, I am not going to worry about Social Security for right now. Maybe I will tomorrow.

Dan was associated with Moody Bible Institute and my family were with New Tribes Mission. These two organizations had very close ties when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad6V9AKt24U

Reactions: Perknose
Nov 25, 2013
Not to go off topic but this subject reminds me of the Piraha indians of Brazil. A missionary named Daniel Everrett lost his religion trying to convert them. Here are labels that apply to them.

1. Absolutely egoless, you cannot get them to compete against each other
2. The happiest people on earth
3. Polyamourous, you fuck who you want
4. Hunter/gatherer communists
6. Do not fear death or the future
7.Hunt/gather/work only 15 hours a week
8. Have no concept of guilt or of God.
9. Eat a much healthier diet than just about anybody in the world and live much healthier lives
10. Old people are cared for by the younger
11. Children in general are raised by the tribe as a whole
12. The ultimate empiricists, they laugh when asked to believe in a God that nobody has seen
13. Suicide is nonexistant with them and they laugh when presented with stories about Americans who have killed themselves.

What have do we as a Americans have over this people? We run about wiping out thousands of other animal species, we set up our societies to compete viciously against each other, we use scientific knowledge to unleash uinspeakable weapons on each other, we live miserable lives of guilt and fear, we work long hours and worry incessantly about our possessions, etc...

So in summation, I am not going to worry about Social Security for right now. Maybe I will tomorrow.

Dan was associated with Moody Bible Institute and my family were with New Tribes Mission. These two organizations had very close ties when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad6V9AKt24U

Just reading a bit on him and the tribe. Apparently his experience with them led him to the abandon his faith and leave the church. Interesting.

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.c...o-happiness-never-talk-of-the-past-or-future/

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
I’m talking about the tax rate they actually paid, which went up considerably under Obama. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

It did? Can you show me numbers on that? I'm honestly curious because I have been led to believe that in reality they made more and paid less even though the rate was raised.

I'm not going to dispute actual numbers, I'm an empiricist and go wherever the evidence takes me.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
"They're just as bad!" is so tedious. Dems raised taxes at the top significantly the last time they had the chance. And, uhh, what do you think this Repub drive to repeal the ACA is all about other than to cut them?

That's awesome, I didn't say that but still... you're so used to droning on against other American imbeciles that you cannot even read anymore.

I'm not saying they are both just as bad, I'm saying that they are being driven by the same thing and in the end there is a multitude of evidence for that.

What good is a raised tax if i get to pay less taxes in the end?

The repeal of the ACA or Obamacare is obvious to me, Trump is a kent and wants to eradicate it for no other reason than that Obama pushed it through. He wants to get rid of his legacy because of how Obama ridiculed him after his continuously failed birtherism bullshit which ended with Trump holding his cock after declaring that his agents had found something extraordinary.

Trump is not ... he just isn't a person that can be compared to the likes of Obama. Obama was a statesman, and while he had high hopes going in, it always ends the same way, he can have a little bit, but in the end the actual people with the money get to have their say and not even with full support in the Senate, Congress and the presidency can you get shit done that goes against their interests.

You do remember that Obama had that originally and for two years, right?

I think you may be a bit naive, a president and even the congress and senate won't to jack shit unless the people that ensure their re-election will support them monetarily.