BA Fry's ECS K7S5A + OEM Duron 1 GHz = $89 til 1/17

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TBC

Nov 27, 2001

<< Hmmm, I just now ordered one and it was in stock, and is still showing in stock at this moment. >>

Yes I just noticed it back in stock soon after I posted it out of stock. That was pretty quick. I also noticed it shows $3.95 ground shipping on the checkout screen, but charges you $6.23 for shipping when you go to checkout.

landrand

Dec 13, 2001
I recently purchased two XP1700 -K7S5A combos from outpost. com. Boy was that a mistake. One board has a bad floppy drive controller. The other board won't post.
I spent several days trying to get these two boards to work. I used several memory sticks, floppies, cables, CPU's, 400W Antec PS that I know are in working condition. Thinking
I could just RMA the boards I give outpost.com a call. Outpost says they won't RMA the boards and I must go to the manufacturer ECS. I call ECS. ECS says that since
I didn't purchase the boards from them, they won't take them back. So here I am with two bad boards that I can't return. If you search the web, you'll find that the
K7S5A boards are kind of hit and miss. Some say they are great boards, but many are having problems the board. I personnaly would stay away from outpost.com and the
AMD/K7S5A combo. Buy from newegg where they'll take stuff back if it doesn't work. I've learned my lesson. Buying from a certain vendor to save $20 or so just isn't
worth it. Buy from vendor that will take the product back if it doesn't work.:(

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Got in on this deal in Fremont early yesterday morning. They had a few stickered returned boards and a few non-stickered one (guess which one I picked up). Guess they are all gone now. They tried to sell me some Coolmaster HSF but I didn't take it cuz I didn't know anything about it. Does anyone know a good HSF for this combo? Thanks

BobF

Nov 30, 2001
Fry's has the Thermaltake Volcano 5 on special for $6.99 (reg $9.99). That should be just fine for this combo. It's also on AMD's approved list for this CPU. I bought one of these for my 950 Mhz Duron/K7S5A combo although I haven't assembled the system yet.

Bob

<< Got in on this deal in Fremont early yesterday morning. They had a few stickered returned boards and a few non-stickered one (guess which one I picked up). Guess they are all gone now. They tried to sell me some Coolmaster HSF but I didn't take it cuz I didn't know anything about it. Does anyone know a good HSF for this combo? Thanks >>

BobF

Nov 30, 2001
Yes, that same combo is $99 in Southern CA.

Anyway, the folks in the Bay area pay so much more for other stuff it's only fair that that get a deal here and there. ;)

Bob

<< nice price, too badi live in So Cal >>

TBC

Nov 27, 2001
Landrand,

I didn't know that about Outpost not taking them back. I just checked now, and they do say "Motherboards and CPU processors cannot be returned"

If your board was defective, doesn't law require them to at least exchange it?

I'm going to have to rethink here if I want to buy from outpost.

TBC

Nov 27, 2001
I cancelled my order for now. I may decide to get it later, but have to think about it. I believe this is their standard price anyways, not a sale price. Their return policy does suck though, and thats why I cancelled for now.

Does anyone know if this K7S5A motherboard is the only one that supports both pc133 dimm, and the newer DDR memory sticks?

EDiT

May 29, 2001

<< Landrand,

I didn't know that about Outpost not taking them back. I just checked now, and they do say "Motherboards and CPU processors cannot be returned"
>>

Anyone with Blue should be fine, since they will refund any purchase within 90 days.

<< Return Protection
Return Protection lets you return a covered item purchased with the Card [ even if you purchased it online ] when the merchant won't take it back. Just contact us within 90 days of the purchase, and you will be credited for the full purchase price, up to $300 per covered item
>>

WageSlave

Banned
Sep 22, 2000
Well...

Unless they specificaly state the product is sold AS IS, it is illegal to refuse to exchange or provide a refund for a defective item. If they refuse to exchange your item, contact your state attorney generals office, as well as UPS (to file a complaint with UPS, no legal recourse there, but at leat you can get UPS riled up if enough people call)

Also, call them back and tell them this, and demand to speak to a manager

No, im not a lawyer, but I have a friend who is, and this is the advice she gave me. Some of these bigger companies just assume you will not take action against them because they are big.

That said,

I find it hard to believe that Fry's would do something like this, they should know better.... I think you just got a stupid CSR ( as usual)

EDiT

May 29, 2001

<< BTW what is the link for the combo on outpost? >>

Try here.

Otherwise, on the left choose: PC Computers-> Computers and Components -> Components -> motherboards -> look in the AMD section.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Again, I miss out as fry's is not in Illinois. Someone go smack them and tell them to expand!

<edit>
Bad Spelling :)
</edit>

EDiT

May 29, 2001

<< Again, I miss out as fry's is not in Illinois. Someone go smack them and tell them to expand!

<edit>
Bad Spelling :)
</edit>
>>

Just buy it from Outpost. The shipping is cheaper than tax would be anyway. I get stuck with both tax and shipping since I'm in AZ. :(

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm very interested in the Outpost deal (no Frys here) but NO WAY would I buy a motherboard or cpu from them with that absurd no-return policy. No way I would buy from a retailer that won't stand behind its products.

WageSlave, I'd like to know the basis for your friend's thinking-Outpost's stated policy sure sounds like as-is, where-is to me.

EDiT

May 29, 2001
Thump: Do you have an Amex Blue? If so, they will take products back for up to 90 days. That's the best route for anyone with an Amex, IMHO.

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
BobF - Thanks for the reply. Wow, that is cheap. And the performance seems reasonable from the reviews I have read, especially for the price.

I was wondering if this HS needs the

Max. Air Flow: 32 CFM
Noise: 31dBA

fan to cool well. 31dBA is not that bad for me (I have a modded black delta) but my dad, whom this will be for, probably won't appreciate the extra noise. Has anyone tried a quieter fan on this HS?

Thanks again.

TBC

Nov 27, 2001

<< Thump: Do you have an Amex Blue? If so, they will take products back for up to 90 days. That's the best route for anyone with an Amex, IMHO. >>

Actually I just called American Express Blue about this. The guy told me they won't refund your money if the motherboard is defective. It has to be in new and working condition. So I guess the Blue Card return policy really only applies to if you don't like it.

I had to call outpost again and cancel for the 2nd time. I place the order the 2nd time thinking American Express would cover it.

You would think the motherboard manufacturer would have a warranty on this? But according to one person who posted here, they rejected him too.

I also called Outpost, and she said they won't take the motherboard back even if its defective.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
about the return policy for outpost.com..

i was checking it out, and here's what it says:

<< Due to manufacturers' policies, Outpost.com cannot accept returns or exchanges of certain products (e.g., motherboards, CPU processors) manufactured by the companies listed in the table below. These manufacturers deal directly with issues regarding their products and will repair or replace these products in accordance with their own policies. Contact information is also provided for each of these manufacturers >>

no where does it say Certain Products (motherboards, cpu processors). It actually says Certain Products manufactured by certain companies can't be returned/exchanged

well, intel is listed, but AMD or ECS is not listed as companies that outpost wont accept returns from.. it lists a whole bunch of companies... but ECS is not one of them.. so i dont see why they wont take the defective motherboards back or at least exchange them...

here's the link to the return policy: Link

is this the one everyone is looking at? if not, could you link the one where it says ALL motherboards/Cpus?

i havent bought anything from outpost.com in awhile, and since fry's buying them, am more reluctant.. just pisses me off when companies try to screw the customer.. thank god i live 10min away from frys.

love what the title of the return page says:

Your Satisfaction is Our Success lol. yeah right... :disgust: