Question B660 Non-k Cpu memory overclock

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
Just bought a b660 tomahawk ddr5 board for cheap. Still i don't know if it was a mistake. Because when i check the motherboard from msi's site to decide which ram to buy (compatibility), i saw a warning message there: The support of XMP speed might be limited when Non-K CPU was adopted.
After reading this i started to search but couldn't find enough information about DDR5 b660 boards and non-k cpu memory xmp situations. There were some problems about ddr4 ones but it is not about my case since i have ddr5 board.

So what is this if anyone knows?

- Can you overclock ddr5 ram on b660 motherboard? (it says 6200mhz in motherboard's specs)
- İf you can, do you need K cpu??
- İf you need K cpu, what is the point of getting or even producing b660 DDR5 board?

İ was planning to use this board with i7 12700 non-K. Motherboard specs says it supports up to 6200mhz ram.

İ am complicated if anyone can explain this, it would be nice. So i can return this board before i even open it and get something else.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Just bought a b660 tomahawk ddr5 board for cheap. Still i don't know if it was a mistake. Because when i check the motherboard from msi's site to decide which ram to buy (compatibility), i saw a warning message there: The support of XMP speed might be limited when Non-K CPU was adopted.
After reading this i started to search but couldn't find enough information about DDR5 b660 boards and non-k cpu memory xmp situations. There were some problems about ddr4 ones but it is not about my case since i have ddr5 board.

Ark says memory overclocking is supported and I believe the lock is only to chipset. I think what it's saying is that the lower end processors might have difficulty hitting the high memory speeds, that's all.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
İ also thought that way. But wantedto be sure after i saw problems with ddr4 versions on some forums. İf i can't use the rams full potential just the processor isn't non-k that would be total waste. Because what is "low end processor" isn't excatly known. İt can be 12700 non k if it's compared to 12700k or 12900 for example.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
İ also thought that way. But wantedto be sure after i saw problems with ddr4 versions on some forums. İf i can't use the rams full potential just the processor isn't non-k that would be total waste. Because what is "low end processor" isn't excatly known. İt can be 12700 non k if it's compared to 12700k or 12900 for example.

Without trying it yourself or seeing a review I don't think you will get the answers you are looking for.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022

Asked it on msi from. Alder lake doesn't allow memorc oc on non-k cpu's it seems.

Also to summerize i paste this from msi forum:

From MSI internal test, so far the result is as below,
*All result is done by MP CPU, QS CPU might have inconsistent result as MP CPU*
Non-K + B chipset = cannot increase VCCSA (it sits around 0.91x to 0.92xV depending on IMC quality)
Non-K + Z chipset = cannot increase VCCSA (it sits around 0.91x to 0.92xV depending on IMC quality)
K + B chipset = can increase VCCSA (This scenario was not confirmed by Intel, but so far it worked)
K + Z chipset = can increase VCCSA

Reactions: igor_kavinski