Question B550 chipset, so AMD joins the dark side after all.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I just read the article...

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%20May%207th-page-008_575px.jpg

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%20May%207th-page-005_575px.jpg

Ryzen%203_B550_Press%20Deck_NDA%20Until%20May%207th-page-004_575px.jpg

So let me get this straight, this chipset is coming out like a year later, they did not even bother to add CPU PCI-E 4.0 uplink support or to increase the number of sata ports that is ALREADY a problem on every 6 sata B450 motherboard (NVME x4 disables the 2 SOC Sata, thus 6 sata B450 mbs losses 2 sata if NVME is used), and they even dare to futher reduce backguard compatibility?

I was not expecting for the PCI-E lanes FROM the chipset to be 4.0, but only USB 3.2 G2, no more satas, CPU link still 3.0 and the PCI-E lanes 3.0 is beyond disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Who cares?

Everyone except you. AMD gave us Matisse on 300 and 400-series boards over the opposition of OEMs. I appreciate that much. Do you?

B550 (and A520) should have launched along X570 or close to it.

AMD farmed out production of B550 of ASMedia. ASMedia failed, so all we got was X570. How many times do I have to tell you that?

You want B550 to have the same redundant I/O die as a chipset that requires a fan, drives up power reqs by 7W (or more) and increases BoM? Good luck getting boards below $150 that way. That is the only way AMD could have released that chipset in 2019.

Is not someone else problem. The unusual delay happened, like it not. PERIOD.

What usual delay? ASMedia delivered B350, X370, B450, and X470 "on time".

You are putting too much focus on something that is the least of the problems here.

You're the one who wants multiple SATA ports on motherboards, not me. The number of SATA ports on motherboards in 2020 is the least of our problems.

Im still expecting for you to prove me wrong in anything i said

I JUST PASTED A LINK PROVING THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT SATA ANYMORE. @tamz_msc showed you that AMD was NOT the one that stopped OEMs from supporting PCIe 4.0 on older chipsets. AMD was responsible for Matisse working on those chipsets, period! The OEMs wanted to sell us nothing but x570 for Matisse, and since Matisse is required for PCIe 4.0 functionality on AM4, it is the OEMs that did not want to support PCIe 4.0 on older chipsets. How much more proof do you need? And why am I responsible for disproving statements that you make when you provide no credible evidence to support your initial claims?

It is up to you to prove that people care about SATA.

It is up to you to prove that AMD blocked OEMs from supporting PCIe 4.0 on older chipsets.

Unfortunately for you, you can't do either one of those things now, so your opportunity is lost, such as it was.

what did you aside from attacking me?

You really think I'm "attacking" you?

I said there are right now B450 boards with 6 Satas that losses two if a x4 NVME is used due to chipset limitations, thats a problem.

No, it isn't. SATA is mostly dead.

then i pointed out that if you do need them or not thats personal

And I pointed out that the market is trending rapidly away from SATA. It is a dead standard.

Then you come out saying no one needs SATAs because YOU dont need more satas

I pasted a link showing you that SATA is dead. I am following the same trend as most everyone else.

It is not a lie, AMD did force block all non x570 from using PCI-E 4.0 by AGESA, i could accept you the arguments about blocking it on old motherboards because old motherboard are not certified.

AMD pulled support because it didn't work right. They didn't "block" anything. They made the right call. Stop asking them to release half-arsed garbage that would cause trouble for users and for AMD down the road. PCIe on older chipsets never worked correctly. It never supported PCIe 4.0 to the NVMe slots. You want PCIe 4.0 to one PCIe slot and that's it? Why? Video cards can't take advantage of that, at all. The feature, as implemented, was completely worthless. Nobody in their right mind would support that.

Is not true that OEM could not have launched new motherboards versions with PCI-E 4.0 and B450 chipsets, you are just making stuff up here.

@tamz_msc proved that OEMs would refuse to do such a thing. They didn't even want to support Matisse on B450, much less redesign the boards. I'm not making up anything.

it would had been actually good idea to do it considering how long it took to get B550 out.

Why? OEMs got to upsell a lot of x570 this way. It was certainly better for them. It might not have been better for us, but then paying $40-$50 more for B450 boards with rerouted PCIe lanes to support a feature that a lot of us didn't even want anyway could have also sucked. If B450 dried up quickly and all we had was x570 and B550, would you want to pay extra for PCIe 4.0 functionality if you didn't need it? Many people didn't need it, and they wound up with cheaper B450 and X470 boards instead. ASMedia's failure saved people some money.

But as i said, it was blocked by AGESA so, there were never even a chance.

Keep telling yourself that, pal.

@Gideon

I think AMD has given up trying to get OEMs to play ball. If you look at the messy 2-3 month period after the release of Matisse, you'll see that OEMs did a pretty lousy job of extending support for Matisse to their older chipsets. Launch UEFI support for non-x570 boards was spotty, and it stayed that way for awhile. Once it settled out, it was better, but there are still issues getting Matisse to work properly on some boards. Trying to get the same OEMs to support Vermeer on boards as far back as X370 would be even worse. This way, we don't have to worry about mouse support disappearing after a UEFI update, or features vanishing, or anything like that. We don't have to worry about OEMs taking months to fix problems with the UEFI on older boards. Or at least not as much as we did last year. I sort of wonder how well OEMs will support existing X570 boards.

Personally I would like to see Vermeer at least supported on X470. X470 is certainly capable. There are probably some B450 boards that deserve consideration as well. We don't know what communication has gone on between AMD and Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI, and Biostar. I do agree that we should have been given advanced warning about support for Vermeer, since there were some people planning on dropping one into their AM4 boards that we now know will not support Zen3. I question who it was that ultimately forced that decision. The level of secrecy surrounding Vermeer is problematic.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I use all the SATA ports on my x470 board. Its in my unraid NAS. Apparently Ryzen boards aren't intended to be used in a NAS and I should just be using a pile of SATA to USB dongles instead? LOL, Because we all know those are of the highest reliability!

x570 has SATA performance regressions from the asmedia x470 chipsets so I was kind of hoping this chipset would sidestep that.

The lack of a pci-e 4.0 uplink is probably the lamest part. I didn't expect 4.0 coming from the chipset but kind of figured the connection to the cpu would support it!

I think I see why no support is coming for Zen3 on 400 series...there wouldn't be much reason to buy these boards otherwise!

But maybe proper ACS separation of chipset devices will be available on these boards, unlike x470. Its kind of a long shot though since its still asmedia but who knows?
Well no, you use a proper RAID card. Also, they aren’t dongles, it is a single cable. With a bit of firmware magic it would operate the same as a SATA port, but offer power delivery and faster transfer speeds (not limited to 6gbps).

Who cares? B550 (and A520) should have launched along X570 or close to it. Is not someone else problem. The unusual delay happened, like it not. PERIOD.
You are putting too much focus on something that is the least of the problems here.

Im still expecting for you to prove me wrong in anything i said, look @Rigg did point me out i was wrong about SATAs, what did you aside from attacking me?

I said there are right now B450 boards with 6 Satas that losses two if a x4 NVME is used due to chipset limitations, thats a problem. Thats not my perpective, thats a fact, then i pointed out that if you do need them or not thats personal". Then you come out saying no one needs SATAs because YOU dont need more satas, who is proyecting his perpective here?

Satas is part of the problem here, i did pointed out several things. At any rate, and it seems i was wrong about SATAS after all.

It is not a lie, AMD did force block all non x570 from using PCI-E 4.0 by AGESA, i could accept you the arguments about blocking it on old motherboards because old motherboard are not certified. But due that the limitation was per chipset, this includes new motherboards as well.
Is not true that OEM could not have launched new motherboards versions with PCI-E 4.0 and B450 chipsets, you are just making stuff up here. it would had been actually good idea to do it considering how long it took to get B550 out. But as i said, it was blocked by AGESA so, there were never even a chance.

BTW, whatever happened in the past is irrelevant here because this scenario never hapenned before, except maybe for SB->IVY thing.

PCIE 4 was blocked for good reasons. Anyone that claims they have stable PCIE 4 working on an older board is full of it. Tell them to hang their boot drive off it for a while.

This can't be the only explanation:

1. According to the graph X570 will support Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3. Including Zen+ and Zen 2 APUs.
2. X570 has a 32-megabyte EEPROM.
3. B450 MAX boards have the same 32-megabyte EEPROM.
4. Most other 4xx series boards have 16-megabyte EEPROM.

If they support X570 they could certainly support large BIOS-chip 4xx series boards. They could also probably support the older 4xx boards by cutting support to most older CPUs. I guess a lot of people would still be very happy even when their 4xx board got a new unsupported beta BIOS that only boots with Zen 3 (yes not even with the older CPU they flash it with). I know I would.

Realistically dropping APUs and Zen+ (just allowing Matisse and Vermeer) would be enough. But AMD doesn't even want to make it an option by refusing to release any AGESA for older boards.
I agree that the VRMs are bad in the context of x570 boards. They are quite good in the context of B450 though as they are enough for a stock 3950x in heavy extended MT benchmarks which isn't the case for many other B450 boards.

My point was that with 200€ or even 150€+ mobos clearly out of the budget, Tomahawk MAX looked like an endicing board for future proofing in the mid-range. Turns out it clearly wasn't and it would not have been that hard for AMD to mention it (as they surely must have known it for months).

Zen 3 has been officially confirmed to have a much larger microcode. It IS the reason for backwards compatibility being dropped. There may be other reasons as well.

I don’t know why people are raising such a big stink about this. Intel does worse, and if I am upgrading I personally upgrade my motherboard as well.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I agree that the VRMs are bad in the context of x570 boards. They are quite good in the context of B450 though as they are enough for a stock 3950x in heavy extended MT benchmarks which isn't the case for many other B450 boards.

My point was that with 200€ or even 150€+ mobos clearly out of the budget, Tomahawk MAX looked like an endicing board for future proofing in the mid-range. Turns out it clearly wasn't and it would not have been that hard for AMD to mention it (as they surely must have known it for months).
It was a good recommendation given the info at the time. Your friend could probably sell it and make money right now if he/she was that bummed about the news. I agree that it is a good VRM for b450. I was just reacting to the "no cheap x570 really compares" part. With the exception of the MSI x570's I listed the other entry level x570 boards have better power delivery. Although to be fair the cheap gigabyte and Asrock boards aren't much better.

Reactions: Gideon

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Give it a break. Every cpu Intel has released since the core series started has been a new generation. Even with nothing but a speed bump.
Exactly, same point. People don't refer to those as new gens either, but if I'm the only one around here that thinks that, so be it. It's just semantics, which, of course, is exceedingly popular battle material around here.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
A lot of people keep few TB of data. Keeping that on NVMe would force them to buy large, expensive drives.
So while 4 SATA ports should be enough for almost everyone, it's hard to agree with suggestions that "It's all NVMe".
For OS and programs, NVME. For data storage in volumes, sure thats where sata comes in. I even have that om my main box. But more than 4 sata ports is just not needed anymore. I mean I am not sure the limit, but I have seen 10 tb drives !

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I don’t know why people are raising such a big stink about this. Intel does worse, and if I am upgrading I personally upgrade my motherboard as well.
It was a great feather in the pro-AMD's camp to lampoon the Intel zealots with. Of course it couldn't last forever, so it'll take some time for them to get used to it. First reactions are always over the top.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Exactly, same point. People don't refer to those as new gens either, but if I'm the only one around here that thinks that, so be it. It's just semantics, which, of course, is exceedingly popular battle material around here.
We do refer to them as new gens. We mock Intel for their failure, but we acknowledge the changes in core count, performance, and (sadly) power consumption.

As irrelevant as the SATA port discussion sounds I'd still rather have more of that than this pathetic display of stubbornness to eat crow.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I still cringe when I see people trying to run Ryzen CPUs on A320. It was launched for Bristol Ridge and (to a lesser extent) Raven Ridge.
I know what you are saying. But, it's not that bad as it once was with the 125w/140w parts of 3+1 AM3 era. The modern Ryzen is a bit more clever than that, on simpler power designs it just doesn't boost as often at least, prolonging life. But still, it's a nice touch.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know what you are saying. But, it's not that bad as it once was with the 125w/140w parts of 3+1 AM3 era. The modern Ryzen is a bit more clever than that, on simpler power designs it just doesn't boost as often at least, prolonging life. But still, it's a nice touch.

Yeah AM3+ had some real stinkers. Suicide boards.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I still cringe when I see people trying to run Ryzen CPUs on A320. It was launched for Bristol Ridge and (to a lesser extent) Raven Ridge.
Yeah this makes me throw up in my mouth a little. You can grab an ASRock B450M PRO4 for $80 that will run a 3700x just fine. That chipset was intended for cheap APU's and OEM systems. I've never understood why anybody would waste their money on those things.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
As irrelevant as the SATA port discussion sounds I'd still rather have more of that than this pathetic display of stubbornness to eat crow.
I imagine you're referring to me and if so, I'll gladly eat crow and say those are 3 generations going forward. My point really had nothing to do with calling them 3 or 4 generations but not surprised that became the focus.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I really hope they will change their mind on this.
Yup, I can accept 400/500 series support for Zen3 if it's last gen on AM4 and maybe even if support on 400 series is left up to OEMs. However, drawing a hard line at 500 series can only be acceptable if we get one more gen release for AM4. And even that is only acceptable, since they chose to communicate about AM4 having a long life in years, not CPU generations.

I almost pulled a trigger on a premium mITX X470 board with 32MB flash thinking I could always upgrade to Zen3. Luckily is was both busy (excuse) and lazy (prudent).

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I've never understood why anybody would waste their money on those things.

Apparently, it was a lot easier to get A320 at an affordable price in some countries (India?) where hardware prices are badly inflated. Doesn't change the fact that A320 wasn't really meant for anything but el-cheapo systems. I hope A520 is better relative to the current hardware paradigm.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah this makes me throw up in my mouth a little. You can grab an ASRock B450M PRO4 for $80 that will run a 3700x just fine. That chipset was intended for cheap APU's and OEM systems. I've never understood why anybody would waste their money on those things.

I don't know about that. The guy who spent more on the B450 still has to toss his board to upgrade to Zen3 same as the A320 guy. Seems like buying a B450 last year was a dumber play than buying an A320 when Zen1 came out. :D

Seriously though, who actually has an A320 board? They only seemed to sell to OEMs for most of their life AFAIK.

Reactions: Rigg

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
My point really had nothing to do with calling them 3 or 4 generations but not surprised that became the focus.
It's not the focus when we admit being wrong/hasty, it becomes the focus when we defend it regardless.

My reply was half aimed at at you, half aimed at the sterile SATA debate, as they both generate noise around a much worthy subject: how many CPU generations can AMD actually support on a given chipset generation even if socket electrical & mechanical specs remain the same.

AMD chose to communicate long-term life of AM4 (in years), but also allowed us to interpret what that means (obviously to our advantage). So far it looks like they got themselves a PR boomerang.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I want to see the AMD Desktop DIY market will shrink until the end of June now that everyone will wait for the B550 boards to come out.

And everyone will get sick when they will see the ridiculous prices of the first B550 boards to get released.

axaxaxa win win scenario :p