B(lack)SOD GPU related (I think)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
And where can I get a GPU test thats not going to vaporize my card?

4850 512MB 1080p w/ VGA Vista Prem 32bit
Ive been getting a black screen of death randomly when running anything that uses the video card. Ive got good case cooling and even underclocked the card (ships at 680/1050, dropped all the way to 600/900) and nothing seems to make it stop (locked PCIE at 100MHz in BIOS). Its totally freakin anoying. The system has been reformatted and latest drivers installed (probably a few times since this started). A few times Ive managed to recover from the black screen and windows has a little baloon tip in the corner that says the display driver stopped responding but it recovered.

I dont know if its the card, drivers, or windows. Everything else seems to be OK...its a new AMD system with a Corsair 520W PSU. Problems whether underclocked at stock or OCd. The card is the only old part, it was in another system and seemed to work fine but has been giving me crap since it went in here. The other system is running a Nvidia card now and is on its last legs so I have other issues when I try the card back in that one.

ATITool seemed like a good test, it didnt cause permanent damage but it doesnt appear to work with Vista. The only other I know is furmark and thats only an option if you have top of the line full coverage water cooling, especially with these older cards. Im hoping to stress my card enough to test the clocks and see if they produce errors (my RAM for one thing has no heatsinks) but the games I play dont produce any errors, only the random BSOD. I dont want to stress it so much that I burn it out.

Is there a way to check RAM temps or get a /really/ low profile heatsink for them that will actually do something, for cheap? (being only 512mb makes me not want to spend money on this thing, but I cant afford to replace it yet, card prices are stupid right now)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
so why dont you tell us what all the system specs are. (system) Ram does not need ramsinks if there is air passing over it and since you say your case has good draft should be fine. I personally invest in aftermarket cooling for everything Cpu Gpu case etc, how old is the corsair 520watt? is it a 520hx? ALso what brand is the 4850

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Im talking GPU RAM, there is no heatsinks on them or the VRMs...just the core. Its an Asus 4850 512MB OC card (it was 80$ over a year ago). Phenom2 X3 720 4GB DDR3 520w HX. Case is an antec 300 with high(er?) speed yate loons loaded up. The top fan is set on med speed and I popped off the slot cover below the card so air could blow out directly next to the GPU. Ive also removed its shroud and polished the cooler which helped cool it off too...core says it idles at 50c 40% fan speed. Load temps I dont know because I dont really have a way to load it up.