B-52's to take off soon

slider64

Apr 15, 2002
I have seen on multiple channels that the B-52's are about to take off. This is the big boom part. No real precision with these bad boys. Just big booms.

Pray for those on the ground.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
uh, the b52's can be equipped with the JDAM's i believe. That is to say, extremely accurate and not carpetbombing.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: slider64
I have seen on multiple channels that the B-52's are about to take off. This is the big boom part. No real precision with these bad boys. Just big booms.

Pray for those on the ground.
Why? Send em to hell.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I don't pray or anything, but here is hoping our troops complete their missions safely.

slider64

Apr 15, 2002
For the most part B-52's carry bombs that are not set up for precision bombing. Yes they are fairly accurate, but not nearly as accurate as what they did last night.

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
B52's will be used as arial launching platforms for cruise missiles, which are extremely accurate.

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Marty
B52's will be used as arial launching platforms for cruise missiles, which are extremely accurate.
Yep, that is correct...

The B-52s will launch CALCMs (AGM-86C/D Conventional Air Launched Cruise Missile)

The AGM-86C Conventional Air Launched Cruise Missile (CALCM) was developed to increase the effectiveness of B-52H bombers, dilute an enemy's forces, and complicate the defense of enemy territory.

The small, winged AGM-86C CALCM is powered by a turbofan jet engine that propels it at sustained subsonic speeds. After launch, the missile's folded wings, tail surfaces and engine inlet deploy. It then is able to fly complicated routes to a target through the use of an onboard Global Positioning System (GPS) coupled with its Inertial Navigation System (INS). This allows the missile to guide itself to the target with pinpoint accuracy.

The AGM-86C CALCM increases the Air Force's flexibility in target selection. The B-52H is capable of carrying six CALCMs on each of two externally mounted pylons and eight internally on a rotary launcher, giving the B-52H a maximum capacity of 20 CALCMs per aircraft. The AGM-86C CALCM differs from the AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) in that it carries a conventional blast/frag payload rather than a nuclear payload and employs a GPS aided INS.

An enemy force would have to counterattack each of the missiles, making defense against them costly and complicated. The enemy's defenses are further hampered by the missile's small size and low-altitude flight capability, which also makes them difficult to detect on radar.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Precision weapons are cool, but nothing can compare to massive carpet bombing for pure shock value.

I 'bombed' my mom's living room carpet with hot candle wax one time. She wasn't very happy and i got quite the 'shock value' from it.

:eek:

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
MOAB's though delievered by a sky pig (C-130 for those who haven't been around one) would be what I dropped against ground targets for maximin psychological effect. The Daisy Cutter is also delivered by a C-130 and was developed to create a landing zone in dense jungle for helos and played a part in Desert Storm for psyops too.