Discussion AWS Graviton2 64 vCPU Arm CPU Heightens War of Intel Betrayal

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
If it's 2020 and it still isn't, oh well...

I was trying to measure something with my post. Let's try to measure another:
From the vega release: Second of all, we have a formal die size and transistor count for Vega 10. The GPU is officially 486mm2, containing 12.5B transistors therein. That amounts to 3.9B more transistors than Fiji – an especially apt comparison since Fiji is also a 64 CU/64 ROP card – ...
Talking to AMD’s engineers, what especially surprised me is where the bulk of those transistors went; the single largest consumer of the additional 3.9B transistors was spent on designing the chip to clock much higher than Fiji.Vega 10 can reach 1.7GHz, whereas Fiji couldn’t do much more than 1.05GHz...

How big would the arm core grow if designed to run at 2x the clock (instead of 2.0Ghz like most arm chips run), do you know?

If multi-threaded throughput is king (as you insinuate), why design a core for higher clock speeds? Far more efficient to put more cores in for throughput instead.

For all the grumbling about how Zen 2 and Intel cores are designed for higher clocks, server parts with such cores also largely run at 2.5-3.5ghz anyways, within the ballpark of contemporary ARM designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.